Our Offensive Strategy May Not Be to Win

Tolstoy

My apologies if this is in another thread somewhere, but it occurred to me that Daboll may have a mandate to develop Josh Allen as a QB at virtually all costs, even if it means possibly risking wins this season. The reasoning would be that we are very unlikely to win without more talent and experience anyhow, and we will need a top flight QB to win in future years. We are better off developing an elite QB, instead of squeaking out every victory we can, only to never win the big prize because we lack the QB we need.

This would explain why we opened the season with 18 straight passes, as if Daboll was intentionally trying to get Allen into a rhythm regardless of what might be more likely to succeed. It explains why the Bills are so reluctant to become a running team, even though it seems like running the ball more might lead to more wins. It even explains why Allen has played more conservatively of late--because not playing hero-ball and becoming more turnover free is essential to a top flight QB. I expect that now that he has (arguably) gone too far towards playing conservatively, they will try to nudge him back towards playing more aggressively. 

In short, I am suggesting that Beane, McDermott and Daboll are all on the same page here--a long game strategy of developing an elite NFL QB . The wins and losses this season are secondary.

Part of me has doubts about this perspective, because so many careers depend upon winning and losing right now--both players and coaches. It is hard for me to believe that they are not doing whatever they can to win right now. But when I see what they are doing with Allen and the running game etc., I can't help but think I am right.

Edited by Tolstoy
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Tolstoy said:

My apologies if this is in another thread somewhere, but it occurred to me that Daboll may have a mandate to develop Josh Allen as a QB at virtually all costs, even if it means possibly risking wins this season. The reasoning would be that we are very unlikely to win without more talent and experience anyhow, and we will need a top flight QB to win in future years. We are better off developing an elite QB, instead of squeaking out every victory we can, only to never with the big prize because we lack the QB we need.

This would explain why we opened the season with 18 straight passes, as if Daboll was intentionally trying to get Allen into a rhythm regardless of what might be more likely to succeed. It explains why the Bills are so reluctant to become a running team, even though it seems like running the ball more might lead to more wins. It even explains why Allen has played more conservatively of late--because not playing hero-ball and becoming more turnover free is essential to a top flight QB. I expect that now that he has (arguably) gone too far towards playing conservatively, they will try to nudge him back towards playing more aggressively. 

In short, I am suggesting that Beane, McDermott and Daboll are all on the same page here--a long game strategy of developing an elite NFL QB . The wins and losses this season are secondary.

Part of me has doubts about this perspective, because so many careers depend upon winning and losing right now--both players and coaches. It is hard for me to believe that they are not doing whatever they can to win right now. But when I see what they are doing with Allen and the running game etc., I can't help but think I am right.

Absolutely not what is happening

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

It's a passing league.  You pass to score points.  I have no problem with them passing the ball a lot and trying to win that way.  It's time for the Buffalo Bills to step out of the dark ages and try and compete in a league that is passing them by......literally. 

Now, does that mean they are using all these throws correctly?  NO!!!!  Most every pass is being designed for WRs to hook up, square in or square out to the sidelines, and come back to the ball.  They are hardly running enough plays that are designed to get run after the catch which is how a lot of offenses put up big passing numbers.  Now, I don't know if this is because they have determined Allen can't throw slants, crossers, etc. effectively enough on a regular basis or if this is just the general scheme of our offense in general.

But whatever.  We have a long way to go on offense whichever way you want to put it.  But, I have absolutely no problem with trying to light up the scoreboard throwing the ball all over the place.  We've had 20 years of ground and pound and it has gotten us nothing.  But, with the offense the way it is designed, and the lack of overall talent on the offensive side of the ball outside a few guys, I'm not sure our version of this passing offense will work.  But, I have no problems with them trying to build an offense around the passing game in general.

Edited by sven233
  • Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, sven233 said:

It's a passing league.  You pass to score points.  I have no problem with them passing the ball a lot and trying to win that way.  It's time for the Buffalo Bills to step out of the dark ages and try and compete in a league that is passing them by......literally. 

Now, does that mean they are using all these throws correctly?  NO!!!!  Most every pass is being designed for WRs to hook up, square in or square out to the sidelines, and come back to the ball.  They are hardly running enough plays that are designed to get run after the catch which is how a lot of offenses put up big passing numbers.  Now, I don't know if this is because they have determined Allen can't throw slants, crossers, etc. effectively enough on a regular basis or if this is just the general scheme of our offense in general.

But whatever.  We have a long way to go on offense whichever way you want to put it.  But, I have absolutely no problem with trying to light up the scoreboard throwing the ball all over the place.  We've had 20 years of ground and pound and it has gotten us nothing.  But, with the offense the way it is designed, and the lack of overall talent on the offensive side of the ball outside a few guys, I'm not sure our version of this passing offense will work.  But, I have no problems with them trying to build an offense around the passing game in general.

I agree with this. But Allen may not be good enough yet to win with this approach. I think they know that but want to develop him anyhow.

7 minutes ago, Steptide said:

May be true, but I don't think you have to be so conservative on offense. If you're playing to develop Allen, open it up a little 

What do you mean by “open it up”? He passed 41 times, and handed off 14 times. What do you want? I really don’t understand, not trying to be a jerk. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Augie said:

What do you mean by “open it up”? He passed 41 times, and handed off 14 times. What do you want? I really don’t understand, not trying to be a jerk. 

It is strange, but despite throwing 41 passes the offense still seems a bit conservative. I am no expert, but the majority of the passes are short or mid-range, and many of them seem to wait until the receiver shows himself open. There are very few high risk throws. The long balls (as pointed out in another thread) seem to be too long as if to prevent against possible underthrown and intercepted balls.

1 minute ago, Tolstoy said:

It is strange, but despite throwing 41 passes the offense still seems a bit conservative. I am no expert, but the majority of the passes are short or mid-range, and many of them seem to wait until the receiver shows himself open. There are very few high risk throws. The long balls (as pointed out in another thread) seem to be too long as if to prevent against possible underthrown and intercepted balls.

Yes, I think that perception is indeed very strange. They throw short, intermediate and far too often, far too long (like 5-10 yards too long!). A balanced attack playing like a real NFL QB would, IMO, be the best thing to develop Allen. 

17 minutes ago, Augie said:

More play action maybe. More screens maybe. The passing game seems to be pretty one dimensional. I'm just thinking if you're trying to develop Allen, let him learn how to do everything. Maybe take more deep shots, more than 1 or 2 times a game anyway 

10 minutes ago, Augie said:

Yes, I think that perception is indeed very strange. They throw short, intermediate and far too often, far too long (like 5-10 yards too long!). A balanced attack playing like a real NFL QB would, IMO, be the best thing to develop Allen. 

Ha! I get your sarcasm. But you have to agree that our offense is not anywhere near explosive. Would you blame that simply on execution? 

3 minutes ago, Steptide said:

More play action maybe. More screens maybe. The passing game seems to be pretty one dimensional. I'm just thinking if you're trying to develop Allen, let him learn how to do everything. Maybe take more deep shots, more than 1 or 2 times a game anyway 

I agree on more play action, but that works better if you actually run the ball. I’d love more screens, not sure why that is so hard for us. But it’s great when it works. I don’t need any greater frequency on the deep shots until we get the rest worked out. 

1 hour ago, Tolstoy said:

My apologies if this is in another thread somewhere, but it occurred to me that Daboll may have a mandate to develop Josh Allen as a QB at virtually all costs, even if it means possibly risking wins this season. The reasoning would be that we are very unlikely to win without more talent and experience anyhow, and we will need a top flight QB to win in future years. We are better off developing an elite QB, instead of squeaking out every victory we can, only to never win the big prize because we lack the QB we need.

So the Bills catching staff has developed a new way to "develop an elite QB" that doesn't need or consider winning games?

Anyway, the Bills are 21st in pass attempts and 11th in rushing attempts.  Wouldn't it be better to surround the developing QB with adequate Offensive skill position players?

This thread is mess.