Message from McDermott to team: “Play Fearless”

YoloinOhio

This really should have been the approach from the beginning IMO.

Asking a QB like Allen to focus on minimizing mistakes was never going to work. And if you think that's speculation, Daboll's sideline tirade after a pick/fumble(can't remember which) is exhibit A as to how they've been coaching him. He's a big boy so he should be able to handle that in the grand scheme of things, but the entire offensive ideology has to change if it's ever going to work with JA. Just saw this thread/blurb and it was somewhat "refreshing" because I've considered this a problem for a while now.

We'll see if any of it actually has an effect on the field, but it would be a nice departure.

Edited by LSHMEAB
  • Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, finn said:

Right. To many players, the opposite of "play fearless[ly]" is not "hesitate" and "overthink" but "play with discipline." As far as I can see, the only one who needs to hear the "fearless" message is Allen. Daboll, Mr. "Let's throw downfield into double coverage to a slot receiver on third and short" and "Let's throw it 41 times" is already fearless enough, albeit in the worst sense.

By the way, all of us who think Allen does need to play with less fear need to be ready to tolerate the downside that will come from the upside. But I'll take the Allen of late last season, an exciting player who's just as capable of an incredible play as an interception, over a neutered, ineffective game manager who frankly is boring to watch. Let him shine and mess up. Everyone else (except Haushka and Daboll), stay the course. 

Good post.

Lorenzo's quote is best

Play to make plays, not limit  mistakes.

Hopefully the discipline is muscle memory for most players by now and loosing the reins from Coach does not mean a chugging contest  lol.
its just a set of words.

i would have preferred  "lets get after it "
should be a fun game.

expecting some risk taking from Josh and Daboll, some blitzing and some mistakes.

Play Ball !!!

6 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Hard to play fearless when you are not being coached fearless

I think Coach is saying " we are turning it on now"  and thanks for your patience in this matter.

lets go Buffalo

...seriously?....we now need coach's messages as to how to play the "high paying big boyz game"?......maybe  seances or ouija board sessions next?......just go play the effin' game for 60 minutes that you're getting paid megabucks to do so....softer than the Lingerie League...SMH......

4 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

This really should have been the approach from the beginning IMO.

Asking a QB like Allen to focus on minimizing mistakes was never going to work. And if you think that's speculation, I think Daboll's sideline tirade after a pick/fumble(can't remember which) is exhibit A as to how they've been coaching in.

We'll see if any of this actually has an effect, but it would be a refreshing departure.

I disagree a bit my friend.

They gave Josh more responsibilities at the line and allowed him to check in and out of plays. was about playing smart and with discipline likely.

perhaps now his brain is seeing what he needs to see.

He graduated defensive awareness 101B
now he is going to take Offensive aggression 201A ?

you are on point about Daboll and his Coaching, always a good post from you

4 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...seriously?....we now need coach's messages as to how to play the "high paying big boyz game"?......maybe  seances or ouija board sessions next?......just go play the effin' game for 60 minutes that you're getting paid megabucks to do so....softer than the Lingerie League...SMH......

you are grumpy again aren't you ?

: )

• Thank you (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

I disagree a bit my friend.

They gave Josh more responsibilities at the line and allowed him to check in and out of plays. was about playing smart and with discipline likely.

perhaps now his brain is seeing what he needs to see.

He graduated defensive awareness 101B
now he is going to take Offensive aggression 201A ?

you are on point about Daboll and his Coaching, always a good post from you

you are grumpy again aren't you ?

: )

....my nylons are knotted and I have sand in my jockey shorts about tomorrow....other than that, life is good (?)....:D

On 11/14/2019 at 7:00 PM, ScottLaw said:

Jones has had a couple of those already.... every QB is different, but the fact that Jones has already done that twice as a rookie and Allen hasn’t at all through 20 starts is slightly disappointing.

But but but but...

I don’t think Allen is horrible at all but it’s insane all the excuses made for  the highest drafted qb not being about to dominate a game when rookies who weren’t drafted can.