Message from McDermott to team: “Play Fearless”

YoloinOhio

I predicted a while back that Bills fans would only be able to put up with Allen’s mediocre play as long as he kept improving...once it appeared he had plateaued, and was still a mediocre QB, the hounds would be released...

Daniel Jones just had a 300 yard/ 4 TD game...Murray has had a few 300 yard games...the more this happens, the more Bills fans will start to lose patience with JA- especially after 20 games played...I’m really rooting for Josh, but unfortunately, time waits for no one....

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

Jones has had a couple of those already.... every QB is different, but the fact that Jones has already done that twice as a rookie and Allen hasn’t at all through 20 starts is slightly disappointing.

I think that’s the best description- disappointing...after the Dolphin’s finale last year, where JA accounted for 5 total TDS, I was really expecting bigger things this year...this next game will be telling, now that he has been unleashed...

"Play Fearless" is a bit nonsensical. I get what he means, but if you have NO fear of your opponent, you have no respect, so really this is saying Play Reckless. 

What it should be is "Play Brave"— take the chance when you know you can make it, even if it doesn't work, take the confident calculated risks when they are there.

21 hours ago, rayray808 said:

Josh Allen will do one of two things this week:

- 300 yards + passing

- 3 TD's + passing

FEARLESS = UNLEASH JOSHY

Because he has been choosing or scared to do this in the past? No. Hit on a deep pass and he is over 300. 

Was just listening to one of my fave Bills shows every week, "The Lo Down" with Lorenzo Alexander.

https://www.buffalobills.com/video/the-lo-down-with-lorenzo-alexander-x3481

They asked 'Zo about how McDermott asking the guys to play "Fearless" went down in the locker room.  Lorenzo said it was Monday after the game, in the context of looking for positive solutions and that it was part of 3 things he laid out for the team:

1) be more physical, especially on the OL and DL

2) execution - pre-snap penalties especially

3) play fearless, which he expanded to play fast and free, think about making a play vs playing to not make a mistake.

They spend a lot of time talking about the Garrett thing and 'Zo being nominated for an award, so it isn't until about 7:20 in to the segment.

On 11/13/2019 at 3:22 PM, golfball323 said:

This is the type of message that can be confusing to players. McDermott is conservative in nature and coaches that way. He's been successful coaching that way. Rolling the dice now and saying, "Play Fearless" goes against a lot of the messages that he's sent to these players in the last three years. 

We'll See ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Right. To many players, the opposite of "play fearless[ly]" is not "hesitate" and "overthink" but "play with discipline." As far as I can see, the only one who needs to hear the "fearless" message is Allen. Daboll, Mr. "Let's throw downfield into double coverage to a slot receiver on third and short" and "Let's throw it 41 times" is already fearless enough, albeit in the worst sense.

By the way, all of us who think Allen does need to play with less fear need to be ready to tolerate the downside that will come from the upside. But I'll take the Allen of late last season, an exciting player who's just as capable of an incredible play as an interception, over a neutered, ineffective game manager who frankly is boring to watch. Let him shine and mess up. Everyone else (except Haushka and Daboll), stay the course. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, iinii said:

Maybe he should listen to himself.

...THERE is the home run ball my friend.....dead on....play fearless yet coach "fearful".....SMH.....Grandma always told me, "no guts...no glory....no bawls....no blue chips sonny"......she never missed.....:thumbsup:

• Like (+1) 1