Message from McDermott to team: “Play Fearless”

YoloinOhio

3 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

but at end of the day played for a 53 yard FG to tie

So McD does this mean you are going to actually go for Points at end of half instead of kneeling it out?

They didn't play for a tie. I find it funny some people are criticizing the 20 yard throw in 3rd and 4 and others are criticizing them for playing too conservative. I mean I think they made a good play call and it just wasn't executed right. I don't think they intentionally trying to get a field goal.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, The Bills Blog said:

Everyone is clamoring for this, and then they'll be clamoring for them to pull things back once Josh throws some more INTs.

Yes I do think that developing Allen and winning games will not always go together. Its tricky. 

Picks are less an issue for me then the fumbles. 

3 minutes ago, london_bills said:

Yes I do think that developing Allen and winning games will not always go to together. Its tricky. 

3 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

They didn't play for a tie. I find it funny some people are criticizing the 20 yard throw in 3rd and 4 and others are criticizing them for playing too conservative. I mean I think they made a good play call and it just wasn't executed right. I don't think they intentionally trying to get a field goal.

If Allen connects to brown and the bills make the FG this whole perception of Allen changes. Esp if the bills won. 

Edited by london_bills
  • Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, HappyDays said:

It’s a lot of context and admittedly we have little access to that info.

if on 3rd we call a bomb to beasley its a little aggressive. But if the player is scared to make a mistake despite a pick being a punt and he throws an uncatchable ball due to that aversion to risk - it’s bad culture. 

Fumbles or lack of awareness are exhausting to watch. One thing that drove me nuts with Tyrod discussions here was people saying he didn’t make mistakes but often times not throwing the tough ball is a much bigger mistake than throwing it and ending up a pick.

Throwing a contested ball deep on 3rd that gets picked is low risk high reward.... even if it flops.

Edited by NoSaint

20 minutes ago, london_bills said:

Yes I do think that developing Allen and winning games will not always go together. Its tricky. 

Picks are less an issue for me then the fumbles. 

If Allen connects to brown and the bills make the FG this whole perception of Allen changes. Esp if the bills won. 

If Hauschka makes that field goal, the conversation changes. The Bills would have won, but it would have further repressed the need for improvement on both sides of the ball. How many more wake up calls do the Bills need?.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Rocket94 said:

If Hauschka makes that field goal, the conversation changes. The Bills would have won, but it would have further repressed the need for improvement on both sides of the ball. How many more wake up calls do the Bills need?.

Absolutely.

Would have made a difference to the perception of allen though I think. He does it again in the 4th qtr after a poor game. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, london_bills said:

Absolutely.

Would have made a difference to the perception of allen though I think. He does it again in the 4th qtr after a poor game. 

True, but I like Allen. Everything has a way of showing its true self eventually.

13 minutes ago, Rocket94 said:

the FG was to send it to OT . we don't know we would have won. 

I don’t believe playing fearless is the right thing to tell your players. Is that to suggest the past month they’ve been playing fearful? Like are they seeing ghosts? I believe McD should have said play to the best of your ability and be aggressive. You all have talent. Play your assignment, do your job, and when the time comes and the play comes to you, use all your training and ability and make a play. 

2 hours ago, JohnnyGold said:

Right.

20 games into his career?

Sounds like they're hoping he's absorbed enough instruction that some things can go on "auto pilot" now, and he can play looser. He needs to know how long the leash is.

Define a "blow out"

NYJ 41-10

Miami 42-17

Minnie 27-6

How do you define a blow out?

11 hours ago, golfball323 said:

This is the type of message that can be confusing to players. McDermott is conservative in nature and coaches that way. He's been successful coaching that way. Rolling the dice now and saying, "Play Fearless" goes against a lot of the messages that he's sent to these players in the last three years. 

We'll See ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

His philosophy had worked 6 out of 9 times this year.  3rd best record in the AFC.  I suspect he was talking to the players in what they do.  Not what he and the coaching staff will do.  Key word "play". Coaches don't play.

We'll See ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

1 hour ago, reddogblitz said:

His philosophy had worked 6 out of 9 times this year.  3rd best record in the AFC.  I suspect he was talking to the players in what they do.  Not what he and the coaching staff will do.  Key word "play". Coaches don't play.

We'll See ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Unfortunately they don't hand out Super Bowls, or even playoff appearances, for records after 9 games.

We'll see where they stand after 16.

Critical discussion of McDermott/the team at this point in time relates to the probability of us making the playoffs, or having any success in them should we get there.

• Like (+1) 2

@ChrisBrownBills
From Josh Allen today: “Coach sat us all down & said, ‘Play fearless.’ To have that green light & that confidence from him means a lot. That’s not to say I’m going out there to be reckless. Just being very aware of what’s going on, but not being gun shy about anything.” #Bills

Daboll says NO

14 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Watching Chris Brown everyday, i have become a fan of his. Knowledgeable about the game and has the pulse of the team being at practice every day. I agree with what he says that they need to run more even if there is 8 men in the box, because if you dont all the defense has to do is stack the box and then they know you will pass thus knowing what you are going to do and attacking accordingly.

As far as McDermott goes its exactly the right message this team needs as many players have been playing tight fearing mistakes, which is stifling their play making ability. Hopefully they respond with aggressiveness and productivity.