Message from McDermott to team: “Play Fearless”

YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

I'd be happy if we spread it out, only used Knox and occasionally Croft, No SMITH. And, let Josh be himself,  give the ball to Singletary and aim for a 50/50 Run/Pass breakdown. We will run better and throw better if they do that. AND SCORE MORE POINTS.

We have spread it out to the point of total predictability. This offense needs balance and different looks. I still cannot figure out why DiMarco is still here!!! 

1 minute ago, billsfan_34 said:

We have spread it out to the point of total predictability. This offense needs balance and different looks. I still cannot figure out why DiMarco is still here!!! 

for that inside trap when in the Shadow of the Goalposts. Because that 2 yard gain somehow makes it safer to pass then. 

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

OK, having rewatched for the 2nd time....there is about 180 degree flip between Allen's demeanor and attitude in the postgame presser vs this.

In the postgame presser, it seemed as though he was frustrated and soul-searching about why he wasn't completing deep balls.  In this presser, he genuinely does not seem concerned about it, other than as a general "I want to complete every pass I throw".

One possible interpretation is that after reviewing the game film and especially the deep throws with his coaches, he feels he's got an answer and it's a manageable answer, whether it's in some specific area of his technique, or in a protection breakdown affecting his throw, or the routes the receivers run being different in gametime so as to throw off the timing and that needs work.

I guess we'll see!

2 minutes ago, Chaos said:

i dont understand what "play fearless" means. Don't the coaches call the plays?

We’re going to put Lee Smith in and tell him not to worry about the false starts. 

That’s just a guess........

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

The only dangerous--and by far best--aspect of Allen's game is when he takes off running  on ad lib, broken plays.  

McDermott has obviously put a very short leash on him and taken that almost totally away from him b/c he knows that is not a sustainable approach to success and he is trying to prove that his guy can work as a pocket passer in the NFL.

The problem is that he can't, and is really best used as a runner playing an unconventional sort of game.

So let's see.  Maybe he will play "fearless" [sic] and things will improve.

I hope this unlocks some smart aggressive Offense, I hope Josh audibles out of silly play calls in short yardage situations, I have so many damn hopes...

Go Bills!! 

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

Josh has the freedom to audible 

1. against the browns Allen through it 50 yards in the air on  a third and three.  honestly seems fearless enough to me

2. my comment before refers to all 53 players not just Allen.  Who needs to play more fearless? Jerry HUghes? Mitch Morse ? Lee smith?