Message from McDermott to team: “Play Fearless”

YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, BillsVet said:

Yesterday there was a thread about coaching philosophy similarities McD and Jauron share.  Well, it terms of public relations, McD far surpasses DJ as evidenced the HC's team message today  Of course this is going to come out via Chris Brown and not coincidentally it's timed precisely to address an issue highlighted on TBD.   

Because the HC has been criticized for coaching not to lose and avoiding risks in high pressure situations.  DJ and/or Bills media would never do anything like this to blunt any team or HC criticism.

There's an interesting thing with Mcdermott that somehow as a leader he listens. Not sure if players aired their thoughts but I think it's a good message, especially for allen. 

Best thing for Allen is that he can throw a few picks without being condemned. Not necessarily the best for the teams score but I think it's the best message for Allen's development to trust himself. 

Edited by london_bills

Maybe it is the realization that they've coached him into playing safer with his throws and now it is time to give him the green light to take more chances since him limiting interceptions hasn't really impacted the teams ability to win (3-3 over past six games).  It probably means nothing tbh, but they've got to take the opportunity to let Allen grow and develop into the QB they think he is capable of being even if it means making more mistakes. 

To me the coaching hasn't been great on the Offensive side of the ball - Daboll isn't terrible, but he's also showing he has limited ability to really use his personnel to the best of their strengths - especially in the screen game - they have some athletic lineman that can move and block in space pretty well (even though they are so so at the point of attack) and a RB that is very dynamic once he gets into space.  These are the type of throws that really help a QB and an offense start to get going.  Also, too much telegraphing of what is coming at the D based on personnel and formation - they don't mix it up enough out of these formations.  I questioned whether Daboll was the right guy and nothing has changed.  The Offense isn't inept, but it doesn't take control of games either and despite what people say - it has enough talent to score more than it does, although a stud No. 1 WR would help.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

These responses are so stupid.  He really is damned if he does, damned if he doesn't. 

He says "play fearless," some idiot says "coach fearless" like he isn't one of the most aggressive coaches on fourth down or this is somehow bad coaching. 

He says "don't play fearless," and he would get criticized being too conservative. 

can someone tell me why in week 11 this has to be a message?  Shouldn’t this have been the message from week 1?

5 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

can someone tell me why in week 11 this has to be a message?  Shouldn’t this have been the message from week 1?

Because the message from week 1 has been play it close and limit mistakes on Offense - put the team in position to win.  Now the message is changing with the Ls starting to accumulate and the team looking like it is stagnating and getting worse where it was strongest (Defense).  So the Offense needs to take off the training wheels and become a strength if it can - it can go one of two ways IMO, but that is better than riding out what it has been doing.

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

You know, if Denzel Ward wasn't such a good corner, the take on the playcalling on that drive would be a lot different. The Bills tried to get the ball way down the field to their best offensive player who was in single coverage, which is not a bad idea! Ward simply made a terrific play. There's a reason he was a top-five pick. Good players on the other side sometimes make plays that blow up good plans.

I think people neglect the amount of talent Cleveland has in the secondary. Particularly when that talent is combined with Garrett’s pass rushing.... Those guys can make plays and excel in man coverage. 

2 hours ago, BillsVet said:

Yesterday there was a thread about coaching philosophy similarities McD and Jauron share.  Well, it terms of public relations, McD far surpasses DJ as evidenced the HC's team message today  Of course this is going to come out via Chris Brown and not coincidentally it's timed precisely to address an issue highlighted on TBD.   

Because the HC has been criticized for coaching not to lose and avoiding risks in high pressure situations.  DJ and/or Bills media would never do anything like this to blunt any team or HC criticism.

Dicky J = Skeletor 

49 minutes ago, eball said:

Regardless of what any of the naysayers point out, it IS important for your young talented players to not play scared.  I think after the Pats*** debacle they told him "these turnovers have to stop."  Josh overcorrected.  If the message from his coach is enough to let him play loose and "let 'er rip" I'm all for it.  Let's see what we've got.

I’m with ya- this boring lets hope we get in the playoffs kind of football isn’t what most of us are paying to see.

3 minutes ago, Ayjent said:

Because the message from week 1 has been play it close and limit mistakes on Offense - put the team in position to win.  Now the message is changing with the Ls starting to accumulate and the team looking like it is stagnating and getting worse where it was strongest (Defense).  So the Offense needs to take off the training wheels and become a strength if it can - it can go one of two ways IMO, but that is better than riding out what it has been doing.

I get it. I know what is message has been. For some reason it is always the same message with Bills coaching staffs for the longest time. 

8 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Going for it on fourth down--not once but twice--in the CLE game was pretty off-script for McD...

but at end of the day played for a 53 yard FG to tie

So McD does this mean you are going to actually go for Points at end of half instead of kneeling it out?

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

but at end of the day played for a 53 yard FG to tie

Yeah I think we all knew that was less than a 50/50 try given that Hausch had already missed a gimme from 34.   The game management was very bad and the decision at the end of the game to kick it was even worse.