Message from McDermott to team: “Play Fearless”

YoloinOhio

How about you COACH Fearless???

and all this tells me is that McD and Company were always in his head about being safe. No wonder why he looked like an over trained show dog. And ass we say in the military Paralysis by Analysis. 

Edited by MAJBobby
  • Like (+1) 2

These responses are so stupid.  He really is damned if he does, damned if he doesn't. 

He says "play fearless," some idiot says "coach fearless" like he isn't one of the most aggressive coaches on fourth down or this is somehow bad coaching. 

He says "don't play fearless," and he would get criticized being too conservative. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

These responses are so stupid.  He really is damned if he does, damned if he doesn't. 

He says "play fearless," some idiot says "coach fearless" like he isn't one of the most aggressive coaches on fourth down or this is somehow bad coaching. 

He says "don't play fearless," and he would get criticized being too conservative. 

Its because it is nonsense. Like you can have a green light to play fearless? That is a state of mind not an order. Or like there is some switch to turn it on or off. Come on now. He starts hitting his passes and building some confidence some of that fear goes away. But right now even Josh Allen knows he is not playing how he should...either he can rise to the challenge or not. Not some ok coach said I can do it yay. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

This staff has done everything BUT allow Allen to play fearlessly.

He is kept on a very short leash because they know if they let him go sandlot, bad things are going to happen.

I have no idea what this is supposed to mean in the context of Allen's play or McD's ultra conservative approach to the sport of football.

I guess we will find out this weekend.  With Josh making a statement like that, they may just let him go out and rip it and let the chips fall where they may.  Getting a green light like that can do a ton for your confidence.

Just now, ngbills said:

Its because it is nonsense. Like you can have a green light to play fearless? That is a state of mind not an order. Or like there is some switch to turn it on or off. Come on now. He starts hitting his passes and building some confidence some of that fear goes away. But right now even Josh Allen knows he is not playing how he should...either he can rise to the challenge or not. Not some ok coach said I can do it yay. 

Is it not code for "don't be so afraid of mistakes. We will not ride you if you throw an interception."  What would JA be afraid of? Probably turnovers. If he is told to be fearless, it seems like they are also saying don't be so afraid of turnovers.  That is definitely more than coach speak. 

And even if it is coach speak, who cares? Do you really expect JA to get into the Xs and Os of what he discusses with the coaching staff? 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Honestly, if we lost to the Dolphins and Allen threw 2 INTs, but threw for over 300 yards and played fearless, I’d take.  

Let the kid see what he’s got.  Stop putting a ceiling on him before he’s matured 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Honestly, if we lost to the Dolphins and Allen threw 2 INTs, but threw for over 300 yards and played fearless, I’d take.  

Let the kid see what he’s got.  Stop putting a ceiling on him before he’s matured 

Me too. But I'd prefer fearless Josh , 300yds 2 ints and win Dolphins game

Best plays of Josh are in 4th quarter when we are trailing and he must risk. Allow him to play the whole game in his style. At least it'll be fun to watch unlike Tyrod-eaque caution 

50 minutes ago, par73 said:

You mean like the last drive of the Cleveland game? LOL

You know, if Denzel Ward wasn't such a good corner, the take on the playcalling on that drive would be a lot different. The Bills tried to get the ball way down the field to their best offensive player who was in single coverage, which is not a bad idea! Ward simply made a terrific play. There's a reason he was a top-five pick. Good players on the other side sometimes make plays that blow up good plans.

• Like (+1) 6

32 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

Yup.  If you want guys to play fearless, you have to coach fearless.

Exactly right.  Playing for a 53 yard field goal after your team marches down the field is the opposite fearless.

Did Sean sit the coaches down and say the same thing? Did Sean realize he has to play to win?! 
I soooo want to believe we will see a different team against Miami. It really is time to show they can oppose their will on a team like Miami. Last year the Bills blew out a couple teams starting this time of year. Be nice to see them do it again.

10 minutes ago, Virgil said:

I don't care about yardage at all, really - I care about ypa. If he's hitting 8.5 ypa in a game, that's elite-level. 

• Like (+1) 3

17 minutes ago, Virgil said:

lol what. Since when did turning the ball over and losing to a bad team become something we’d be good with?

Edited by Bangarang
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillsVet said:

Yesterday there was a thread about coaching philosophy similarities McD and Jauron share.  Well, it terms of public relations, McD far surpasses DJ as evidenced the HC's team message today  Of course this is going to come out via Chris Brown and not coincidentally it's timed precisely to address an issue highlighted on TBD.   

Because the HC has been criticized for coaching not to lose and avoiding risks in high pressure situations.  DJ and/or Bills media would never do anything like this to blunt any team or HC criticism.

Man you are one for conspiracies....

• Like (+1) 1