Message from McDermott to team: “Play Fearless”

YoloinOhio

This staff has done everything BUT allow Allen to play fearlessly.

He is kept on a very short leash because they know if they let him go sandlot, bad things are going to happen.

I have no idea what this is supposed to mean in the context of Allen's play or McD's ultra conservative approach to the sport of football.

• Like (+1) 5

Yesterday there was a thread about coaching philosophy similarities McD and Jauron share.  Well, it terms of public relations, McD far surpasses DJ as evidenced the HC's team message today  Of course this is going to come out via Chris Brown and not coincidentally it's timed precisely to address an issue highlighted on TBD.   

Because the HC has been criticized for coaching not to lose and avoiding risks in high pressure situations.  DJ and/or Bills media would never do anything like this to blunt any team or HC criticism.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

He is kept on a very short leash because they know if they let him go sandlot, bad things are going to happen.

I have no idea what this is supposed to mean in the context of Allen's play or McD's ultra conservative approach to the sport of football.

I don't believe that for a minute. 

• Like (+1) 7

I am delighted to hear this.  I felt the plays calls in the last couple of games were very conservative.  Like they were taking it easy to be sure to get different things "right".  I think providing the players with more freedom and flexibility will pay off.  

• Like (+1) 1

This is the type of message that can be confusing to players. McDermott is conservative in nature and coaches that way. He's been successful coaching that way. Rolling the dice now and saying, "Play Fearless" goes against a lot of the messages that he's sent to these players in the last three years. 

We'll See ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edited by golfball323

9 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

I tend to agree with your first 2 sentences as to how McDermott/Daboll have handled Josh Allen to begin the season.

I will even state that my opinion of McDermott's offensive philosophy may even be a notch toward conservative vs wide open.

I think you and others are confused because of what I believe are preconceived notions of his extent of conservatism. 

The only way to determine which of us are correct will be to see how the offense plays next next handful of games.

17 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Bad things could definitely happen if they let Allen play his game.  Making him play scared/safe might minimize the bad things, but it also kills production.

I'd rather take the bad with the good and score some points.

• Like (+1) 10
  • Thank you (+1) 5

There is a fine line between playing reckless and playing uninhibited.  Clearly, Josh Allen has been holding back this season, and I think this has been by design.  They need to do a combination of both strategies.  Teach him and encourage him to be a pocket passer as much as possible, but give him license to let it rip (on the ground or through the air) if it’s there.  I think he’s stagnating and frustrated.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, golfball323 said:

This is the type of message that can be confusing to players. McDermott is conservative in nature and coaches that way. He's been successful coaching that way. Rolling the dice now and saying, "Play Fearless" goes against a lot of the messages that he's sent to these players in the last three years. 

We'll See ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Not when it comes to going for it on 4th downs