Happy 69th Birthday Gilbert Perrault

Chandler#81

1 minute ago, BuffaloBud said:

There's a ton of memories there.

I wonder how premier players of that era would fare if they played now.  Would they be that good, better?  Were goalies that bad then?

It is a different era, but great players play great always. I realize it’s hard to envision anyone racing rink long routinely and scoring today. But very few did then either. We were blessed to have Gil as we started up in the NHL. I remember our 1st season like it was yesterday. His  record breaking 32 goals and the way he scored them had the entire community hooked for life. A true generational talent, made even better by the line mates the team gave him in the next 2 seasons.

• Like (+1) 1

So nice watching hockey with no advertising every where, boards, ice, etc...

2 hours ago, Helpmenow said:

Imagine if Bert played with the sticks now. 

Goalies kinda sucked years ago.  Some don't even Look like they were trying.

Not taking anything away from #11 though.

On 11/13/2019 at 5:27 PM, row_33 said:

Thank goodness the unfair and longstanding Habs lock on all Quebec  talent was broken by then and allowed him to play elsewhere 

Yeah... That just shows you how crooked the NHL has always been.  Proof that it was a farce since day one.

15 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Not taking anything away from #11 though.

Yeah... That just shows you how crooked the NHL has always been.  Proof that it was a farce since day one.

the same effect the last 20 years of the Habs' power grab of Quebec talent would have meant:

Mario Lemieux, Ray Bourque, Luc Robitaille would have automatically gone to Montreal

Rattelle and Gilbert broke the hammerlock, Dave Keon somehow wound up in Toronto

and when they took away the privileges the Habs traded all their old-timers to garbage expansion teams to shore up the team of the 70s.

• Thank you (+1) 1