McDermott Weds Presser: Sullivan asks whether Allen is an improvement over Tyrod

YoloinOhio

10 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

This should be repeated over and over. 

One game doesn't make a career but he showed be more improved and he's not. His best game was last year against Miami. Since then he hasn't been as good. He still doesn't read the field well at all. Big hands and a rocket arm doesn't get you far if you can't hit open guys. 

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I do see improvements in some spots which are encouraging.  It's not coming all together and IMO....he should be ahead of where he's at now.  
I have been wait and see all season but man...our offense hasn't turned the corner and I'm worried it never will.  

Why is this?... He was seen as a project and he's just now at 20 starts... People forget that there were real NFL minds saying he could be a stud given time to develop, and that timeline was at least a year on the bench and then some growing pains in play. 

• Like (+1) 1

Really a forced and ignorant question.  I wish head coaches would try to embarrass the reporters a little bit when they ask these questions and just challenge them on the though process that went into asking the question.

Ask the reporter:

What differences do you think exist between Tyrod and Allen regarding the spots in their careers in considering those 40 games?

What other statistics did you consider when deciding the 20 game passing statistics made sense.

What did Tyrods last 10 compared to Allen's last 10 look like? Seems more appropriate considering A ROOKIE QB

• Like (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

That’s because you don’t know what you’re talking about -as evidenced in most of your posts. Tyrod had 4 years in the League before becoming a Bill. He was at his peak on Day 1 here and he actually digressed once every team knew he would never attack the middle of the field. Allen has 18 games played in 1.5 years. He continues to improve. 

You need only have to remove the unsubstantiated hate.

My first memory of TT was the touchdown to Percy Harvin vs. the colts... pretty sure that was as good as he ever was. 

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

That’s because you don’t know what you’re talking about -as evidenced in most of your posts. Tyrod had 4 years in the League before becoming a Bill. He was at his peak on Day 1 here and he actually digressed once every team knew he would never attack the middle of the field. Allen has 18 games played in 1.5 years. He continues to improve. 

You need only have to remove the unsubstantiated hate.

Exactly, he had 4 years to practice his craft before having to take over a team. Having the luxury to do that in any profession would give you the leg up on a new employee.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Why is this?... He was seen as a project and he's just now at 20 starts... People forget that there were real NFL minds saying he could be a stud given time to develop, and that timeline was at least a year on the bench and then some growing pains in play. 

There were NFL minds that will say any top 10 QB could be a stud.  Their pre-draft predictions do not over take what's happening now.

He's not playing well.  

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Unreliable. Much like the other takes on Allen recently.  

What was the criticism of Allen in the offseason? Needs to up his completion % and clean up the short/underneath stuff. Worked on it in the offseason and did it. 

Then through first 4 games it was: stop throwing INTs. Worked on it. Done. 

Now it's 'he can't hit a deep ball'...all you want to do is complain about what isn't working without looking at what is. It's beyond repetitive, it's just lazy at this point.

He’s currently the worst deep ball thrower in nfl history iirc.  

He’s improved in areas that were once a question mark.  Athletes some times do that.

11 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

One game doesn't make a career but he showed be more improved and he's not. His best game was last year against Miami. Since then he hasn't been as good. He still doesn't read the field well at all. Big hands and a rocket arm doesn't get you far if you can't hit open guys. 

He reads the field. Sometimes very well, sometimes not. Fact is you just aren't going to hit those intermediate throws if you are not.  Besides, there is plenty of Cover 1 stuff out there pointing out how his eyes are manipulating safeties, or he is going through reads, etc.  He just doesn't do it consistently well enough. 

14 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Not just below league average, they were HISTORICALLY bad for most of last season. 

I just think McDermott is woefully incompetent offensively. His puts value on certain offensive players that leave you scratching your head. 

Just wondering if you happened to look at the talent on the OL, WR, TE last season.

(2017 we had a better OL, but pitiful everywhere else)....while starting a rookie QB most of the year.  Of course they were going to be terrible.  Everyone knew they’d be terrible

42 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Having said that I can see why Jerry asked that with those stats going around and with the way Josh played last weekend which had a lot of Tyrod traits to it. 

This seems like an unfair comparison. The criticism of Tyrod was he never was able to put up a lot or passing yards due to an unwillingness to throw the ball. Allen threw for 266 yards against Cleveland. Tyrod did that 10 times total over his 3 seasons here. Not to say Allen had a monster game but but for me is already past what Tyrod was ever able to do, especially in 2016 and 2017. And the arrow is pointing up. It's not like he needs to develop the ability to anticipate throws from scratch, he does need to be more consistent though.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

There were NFL minds that will say any top 10 QB could be a stud.  Their pre-draft predictions do not over take what's happening now.

He's not playing well.  

Right, but what I'm saying, is why are your expectations the way they are? Why do you look at what he's doing wrong and say he's behind where he should be, instead of looking at what he's doing well and saying "he's way ahead of where anyone expected him to be even this offseason." 

He has at time shown all of the skills necessary to be successful, he just needs to start batching them together. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Not just below league average, they were HISTORICALLY bad for most of last season. 

I just think McDermott is woefully incompetent offensively. His puts value on certain offensive players that leave you scratching your head. 

I want to give him a break a little bit for some of it though.  Having to flip flop with peterman and Anderson and Allen being hurt.

Still though...they I believe ended up with only around 16 points per game in 2018.  And that was WITH the two 40 point games against Jets and Dolphins.

48 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

No they are not. He did not play well on Sunday. When I said it after the game you all jumped on me and countless people have come out and said it since. I didn't say bench him, or move on, or he is done. I said he played poorly on Sunday and he needs to play better. 

I agree w this

44 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

Tyrod was overall a competent NFL qb.  He was flawed but overall led the Bill's to its first playoff appearance in 20 years.  Difference is Allen is in year 2 Taylor was year 8.  Allen has improved nicely from the draft to now.  I think Allen still has loads of potential and pegging Allen as a game manager is an attempt as an insult.  

Allen is essentially a game manager right now

he needs the defense to hold opponents under 20 points or he can't win games. that's the pure definition of a game manager 

Edited by Tesla03
  • Like (+1) 2

57 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Lol. What a joke. 

Boy, you're not kidding.

McDermott never says anything and always makes a few implied statements that we already assumed to be true and never need to be made by the HC ever. 

Like "We are trying to improve constantly" or "I am trying to do what's best for the team."

No *****, coach!

53 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

McDermott is right not to compare and I think most people know that Josh is not really like Tyrod and with Tyrod you knew quite early (or at least some of us did) that you were at the ceiling. That is not the case with Josh. 

Having said that I can see why Jerry asked that with those stats going around and with the way Josh played last weekend which had a lot of Tyrod traits to it. 

My problem with the question is he already knows the answer

One of these guys is a 2nd year player who was raw coming in to begin with

The other player had been in the NFL for years.....

This much has been proven....if you could contain Tyrod in the pocket your chances of beating him were very good

I have a lot of confidence this will NOT be the case with Josh Allen