McDermott Weds Presser: Sullivan asks whether Allen is an improvement over Tyrod

YoloinOhio

1 minute ago, GoBills808 said:

Prescott

Dak was the rookie of the year lol. He was good out of the box. He’s certainly improved a little but he’s not a vastly different player.

Just now, HappyDays said:

What rule changes in the NFL have eliminated the ability to improve? This doesn't make any sense. And honestly Allen is a rare case. I'm not just saying that because he's on the Bills. Before we drafted him I thought whatever team took him would need to sit him for 2 years based on his history at the position. I wouldn't bet on him becoming a top 10 QB but if he keeps trending up I'm not looking elsewhere. Might as well enjoy the ride.

I don’t make the rules. The fact of the matter is that “projects” do not and have not succeeded in the NFL in the last ten years. They just don’t. 

8 minutes ago, Jerry Jabber said:

I’d like to know who the reporter was at the 7:55 mark. He was very vague with his questions and you could tell McDermott was getting frustrated with him as he started giving the reporter short answers, then cut the conference short.

Dan fetes, 13wham Rochester apparently. 

Edited by london_bills

1 minute ago, BringBackOrton said:

The fact of the matter is that “projects” do not and have not succeeded in the NFL in the last ten years. They just don’t. 

I learned the hard way with Mahomes this is not true. He was a classic project QB that had to be developed for a year before even seeing the field. I felt the same way about him as I did about Allen. Now I'm keeping an open mind.

Promo is correct.   Why bother with this loser Sullivan.  

This is a New Era, we don't need his backwash, negativity and  sniping filth.   

This is a loser from a losing time when we were strapped with a cheap out of date owner (God Rest His Soul).

Flush J.S., don't let him in here.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, GoBills808 said:

Give Allen that line and Ezekiel Elliott I'm good

Dak was better as a rookie than Allen is today. Funny you didn’t mention Watson’s OL or RB when he was a rookie. 

I get it. The rookie excuse works, unless you compare him rookies that were way better than him. The weapons excuse works, until you compare him to players whose weapons were comparable to his. 

The house of cards is tumbling down. Next year the Troy Aikman and Alex Smith comparisons will start to emerge, and then Allen’s career in Buffalo will end. It’s the life cycle of failed Bills QB’s.

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I learned the hard way with Mahomes this is not true. He was a classic project QB that had to be developed for a year before even seeing the field. I felt the same way about him as I did about Allen. Now I'm keeping an open mind.

Mahomes did not require 3 years. He was better in his second start than every single one of Allen’s starts ever.

38 minutes ago, MJS said:

They can throw hard balls, but the questions should not be dumb. What does Tyrod Taylor have to do with Josh Allen? There's plenty of ammunition to attack Allen with.

This is really where I am.  There are miles and miles of things that can be critiqued about the team and about Allen right now.

Looking at an arbitrary window for Taylor and Allen to compare them and ask that question just seems like working overtime to create controversy.

1 minute ago, BringBackOrton said:

Dak was better as a rookie than Allen is today. Funny you didn’t mention Watson’s OL or RB when he was a rookie. 

I get it. The rookie excuse works, unless you compare him rookies that were way better than him. The weapons excuse works, until you compare him to players whose weapons were comparable to his. 

The house of cards is tumbling down. Next year the Troy Aikman and Alex Smith comparisons will start to emerge, and then Allen’s career in Buffalo will end. It’s the life cycle of failed Bills QB’s.

LMAO you think Watson's weapons were comparable to Allen's 

You guys want to weep about the QB situation I'm done passing out tissues, have at it. 

Allen is being held back from the coaching staff. If he’s going to fail, let him fail. Again, this is a coaching staff what thought having Nate Peterman be the opening day starter was a good idea because they were able to a 6th for McCarron

1 minute ago, GoBills808 said:

LMAO you think Watson's weapons were comparable to Allen's 

You guys want to weep about the QB situation I'm done passing out tissues, have at it. 

Houston had one of the worst OL’s in football in Watson’s rookie year. The Bills OL this year is much better. Curiously, Watson with a worse OL and as a rookie was a far superior QB to mobile 2nd year JP Losman who can’t hit a deep ball.  Must be one of those curious coincidences that has no bearing on events to come.

5 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

Mahomes did not require 3 years. He was better in his second start than every single one of Allen’s starts ever.

Well this an entirely different point than what you just made, but sure. It's interesting how every example someone posted to counter your point about project QBs and improvement beyond year 2 has been hand waved away somehow.

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Well this an entirely different point than what you just made, but sure. It's interesting how every example someone posted to counter your point about project QBs and improvement beyond year 2 has been hand waved away somehow.

What? My original point was that QB’s past year 2 do not take great leaps forward in ability in today’s NFL. Mahomes doesn’t invalidate that, he MAKES MY POINT. Unless you’re arguing he’s taken a leap from last year??

8 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

Houston had one of the worst OL’s in football in Watson’s rookie year. The Bills OL this year is much better. Curiously, Watson with a worse OL and as a rookie was a far superior QB to mobile 2nd year JP Losman who can’t hit a deep ball.  Must be one of those curious coincidences that has no bearing on events to come.

1) how long had the offensive system been in place - the terminology and the plays they built around with Watson?

2) who was Watson throwing to, and where were they the previous year?

3) what was the running game like the previous year and that year

I'll answer for you:

1) 4th year, since Bill O'Brien took over as HC

2) the very talented D'Andre Hopkins who was right there and almost broke 1000 yds with Osweiler throwing to him; solid #2 Will Fuller

3) >1000 yds previous year with Lamar Miller, 888 that year

It's true the OL had some gaps, including a rookie center and injuries at tackle, but 3 of the pieces returned from the previous year.  Watson made it look worse than it was at times.

Watson is an excellent QB, there's no question.  But if you want to assert Allen has a similar level of support around him even now (a WR like Hopkins for example), um, that would be No.