McDermott Weds Presser: Sullivan asks whether Allen is an improvement over Tyrod

YoloinOhio

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Allen needs to play better than he played on Sunday, but to compare how he played to Tyrod's play is IMO (having watched Sunday's film, and watched Tyrod) mistaken.

Allen did a lot of things on Sunday that I never saw Tyrod do. 

Allen also didn't do some things Sunday that he needs to do.

He also had passes hit guys in the hands and get dropped or knocked away, and that has to change too.

But he also did lots of things Tyrod did (bailing pockets, holding the ball and failing to see open guys). When he threw it he was generally pretty accurate (deep ball excepted) which was also a Tyrod trait. 

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Allen needs to play better than he played on Sunday, but to compare how he played to Tyrod's play is IMO (having watched Sunday's film, and watched Tyrod) mistaken.

Allen did a lot of things on Sunday that I never saw Tyrod do. 

Allen also didn't do some things Sunday that he needs to do.

He also had passes hit guys in the hands and get dropped or knocked away, and that has to change too.

For two years Tyrod led an offense that scored like the coaches and fans want to see. That's something I haven't seen Allen do, but I'd like to see it. Let's have a season of 24 ppg.

10 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

...let's just leave aside the fact that you lumped the two years together without looking at how they improved (or didn't), respectively. Because who has time for all that context nonsense.

Does the fact that in 9 less games Young threw ELEVEN more picks and only ONE more TD than Allen mean anything to you, at all? 

What are you talking about?  It's 21 games for Allen & 30 games for Young.  Their per game averages in their first 2 seasons are very similar, as was their style of play when both came into the league.  Young got a pass early on because all he did was win games (and won ROY).

Edited by GG

Clutch factor - Tyrod did win some games. One difference I think people miss is those clutch games were Tyrod did not win were against good teams. Tyrod could be clutch like Allen against bad teams. Lets see Allen clutch against the good teams. 

2 minutes ago, GG said:

What are you talking about?  It's 21 games for Allen & 30 games for Young.  Their per game averages in their first 2 seasons are very similar, as was their style of play when both came into the league.  Young got a pass early on because all he did was win games.

This is so bad bro. Just awful take. 

35 minutes ago, FiftyPercent said:

Wow, Jerry's pertinent question got a lot of TBD panties in a wad.

There's not a sane coach in the league that would make negative comparisons of current players to former players.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

But he also did lots of things Tyrod did (bailing pockets, holding the ball and failing to see open guys). When he threw it he was generally pretty accurate (deep ball excepted) which was also a Tyrod trait. 

People forget, Taylor threw a great deep ball until they got rid of Watkins, Woods, Goodwin, and Hogan.  Allen threw a great deep ball also (last year). 

2 minutes ago, Maine-iac said:

People forget, Taylor threw a great deep ball until they got rid of Watkins, Woods, Goodwin, and Hogan.  Allen threw a great deep ball also (last year). 

Taylor threw a great deep ball whenever defenders fell down and receivers were ridiculously wide open.

His highlight, however, was being part of a trade that landed us a 3rd round pick.  Now THAT was some fine work.

• Like (+1) 3

39 minutes ago, london_bills said:

Genuine question: how football smart do people think Allen is? Has he developed his reading of defenses? 

I think he's pretty football smart and he's not a dumb individual.  He hasn't by any means mastered reading a defense, he still looks tentative at times in the pocket, like he's unsure.  Other times he does not. That's expected at this point. 

My main concern for him is accuracy.  It was the biggest question coming out of college.  Can he deliver the ball accurately to receivers?  When I say accurately, I mean hitting guys in stride with good ball placement for YAC.  At the end of the day that is what racks up yards and leads to big plays.

Just now, MJS said:

There's not a sane coach in the league that would make negative comparisons of current players to former players.

McDermott tore down a team and rebuilt it in such a manner that allows these questions to even be asked, he should step up to the plate and answer.

• Haha (+1) 1