McDermott Weds Presser: Sullivan asks whether Allen is an improvement over Tyrod

YoloinOhio

Hey look at me, I’m Jerry Sullivan and I haven’t written anything recently that

anyone cares about so let’s pull a full on Trump and say something provocative to get some press coverage !!! After all, I am one step better than Bucky Gleason !!  

45 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

John Brown is one of the most consistent WRs in the league. He’s the only WR other than Michael Thomas to have at least 50 yards in every game this season. You think that is invisible? Jordan Phillips leads the league in sacks for a DT.  Devin Singletary is averaging 5.3 YPC. Tre Edmunds is a freak. None of these players are considered “routinely invisible”. Not sure your point resonates.

You forgot to mention Star or Murphy or the bad draft picks of Oliver and the part time right tackle. How about resigning a kicker before his contract was due who hasn’t hit a 50 yarder all year. Beane has missed on as much as he has hit on. Missing on top picks is the way to the unemployment line IMO. Tre is still a question mark to me. I right now would not give him big money when his rookie deal is done. He doesn’t stop the run and isn’t physical enough to scare people from crossing the middle. 

McDermott really did nail that.

Perfect answer.

12 hours ago, Dopey said:

I can picture jerry pondering all night long " how can I get coach to fumble an answer and make myself look smart". Comparing a player's first 20 games of his career to a 7 year vet and his last 20 games is the best he could do?!?! He just made a fool/ass of himself and didn't even realize it. He was dumb enough to tweet it out, like he accomplished his goal. Idiot. Stuff like that usually comes from the cesspool called New York City media. I was going to say " jerry, you're better than this. Then I thought more about it and...no he's not.

Seemed like a good question to me. Very reasonable to notice the similarity and point it out and question what's happening.

Folks on here seem to think Sully is desperately trying to get McDermott in some kind of trouble here. I think he was just pointing out something interesting and looking for McDermott's POV.

If Allen keeps playing at this level and doesn't improve, this will look like a brilliant question. If Allen improves a lot, it will not even be remembered. Right now, it's an interesting juxtaposition.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

The Bills paid picks 12, 53 and 56 for Allen. Plus a fully guaranteed $21M contract over 4 years.  That’s a lot.  I am absolutely not saying that Tyrod should’ve been the answer, but don’t act like Allen didn’t cost a lot. 

Picks don't count against the salary cap, and that's what is being talked about there.

9 hours ago, syhuang said:

while we are on Tyrod Taylor train......

------------------------------------

https://www.barstoolsports.com/chicago/mind-blown-tyrod-taylor-and-lamar-jackson-are-practically-identical-through-their-first-16-starts#scrollToComments

Tyrod:

f9bb2bdbbbf8.png

Lamar:

e13ab6c228d2.png

Obviously more yards and tuddies from Lamar but over double the attempts. Y/A is within a 2% margin and objectively Lamar has much, MUCH more talent around him on the ground which makes it even more preposterous. Really think about how much Lamar ball washing is going on right now vs. how fast Tyrod gets run out of places vs. how ***** impossible it would be to lump these two together through their first 16 starts. 

------------------------------------

It's kind of an interesting comparison.

Difference being Lamar has improved a ton from last year to this year, whereas Tyrod's best games were the first seven of his starting career, before people figured him out.

5 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Picks don't count against the salary cap, and that's what is being talked about there.

That’s weak af.  Seriously this has gone off the rails.  Those picks would be used on players that would be on 3 rookie deals and could replace veterans making veteran salaries.  There’s actually a calculation for what picks are worth in cap dollars.  Or maybe we could just consider the extra wins three more quality players could lead us to.  Wow.

Edited by BarleyNY
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Bakin said:

Allen has lost 5 Fumbles. 

How many you lose is down to pure luck. It's not a positive argument that he's lost less than half. Just means he's been lucky.

5 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

That’s weak af.  Seriously this has gone off the rails.  Those picks would be used on players that would be on 3 rookie deals and could replace veterans making veteran salaries.  There’s actually a calculation for what picks are worth in cap dollars.  Or maybe we could just consider the extra wins three more quality players could lead us to.  Wow.

Yes, there's a talk to be had. No, that's not the conversation going on here.

If you want to talk about it, fine, there are places for that, but it has nothing to do with the salary cap, which is what's being talked about in the post you replied to.

9 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

If you want to talk about it, fine, there are places for that, but it has nothing to do with the salary cap, which is what's being talked about in the post you replied to.

Draft picks have a lot to do with the salary cap.  It’s idiotic to look at something like the salary cap in a vacuum, but you are welcome to do that if you want.  It’s meaningless in that context, but knock yourself out.  Meanwhile I’m here for reasonable discussions for those who are interested. 

6 hours ago, Maine-iac said:

We needed to free up that cap space so we could sign Trent Murphy, Star Lotulelie, and Vontae Davis.  When they brought in Dennison they sealed Taylor's fate.  People upset with Allen's progress now can you imagine if they had kept Dennison on? 

Yeah, great point about Vontae. The guy cost us virtually nothing and was playing decent before he decided to quit.

And yeah, Lotulelei is the  #1 NT and Trent Murphy is a DE on a defense that is #3 in the league in both scoring and yards. So good point that we got something for the money.

Taylor's fate was sealed from the beginning. Hasn't exactly exploded now that he's out from under the dreaded Dennison, has he? Dennison had nothing to do with the fact that Tyrod played like Tyrod. He had a great first seven games, then they played NE and Belichick figured him out. From that point on his stats stayed pretty much the same for the rest of his time here. Yeah, in his third year they brought in Dennison. But Tyrod played just the same.

2 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

Draft picks have a lot to do with the salary cap.  It’s idiotic to look at something like the salary cap in a vacuum, but you are welcome to do that if you want.  It’s meaningless in that context, but knock yourself out.  Meanwhile I’m here for reasonable discussions for those who are interested. 

Yeah, draft picks have a lot to do with salary cap. Boys have a lot to do with girls too, but when you're talking about boys and someone hijacks the conversation to talk about girls, he's just being annoying.

You came in saying, 

12 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

... but don’t act like Allen didn’t cost a lot. 

And that is a pure straw man. He hadn't said or acted like Allen didn't cost a lot to get.

15 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

No, the whole point of the post was even if Tyrod=Josh, the Bills are paying a lot less for Josh than they would have paid Tyrod.  

He's clearly talking about the cap, and you are clearly pretending he said something he didn't.

He didn't say or imply anything about the cost of acquiring him.

Edited by Thurman#1

7 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

How many you lose is down to pure luck. It's not a positive argument that he's lost less than half. Just means he's been lucky.

Oh is that what that means. Oh aha ok. 

6 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Yeah, great point about Vontae. The guy cost us virtually nothing and was playing decent before he decided to quit.

And yeah, Lotulelei is the  #1 NT and Trent Murphy is a DE on a defense that is #3 in the league in both scoring and yards. So good point that we got something for the money.

Taylor's fate was sealed from the beginning. Hasn't exactly exploded now that he's out from under the dreaded Dennison, has he? Dennison had nothing to do with the fact that Tyrod played like Tyrod. He had a great first seven games, then they played NE and Belichick figured him out. From that point on his stats stayed pretty much the same for the rest of his time here. Yeah, in his third year they brought in Dennison. But Tyrod played just the same.

Yeah, draft picks have a lot to do with salary cap. Boys have a lot to do with girls too, but when you're talking about boys and someone hijacks the conversation to talk about girls, he's just being annoying.

You came in saying, 

And that is a pure straw man. He hadn't said or acted like Allen didn't cost a lot to get.

He's clearly talking about the cap, and you are clearly pretending he said something he didn't.

He didn't say or imply anything about the cost of acquiring him.

And part of last year's highly rated defense. But hey, whupping boys are needed each year, don'tcha know?

10 hours ago, Locomark said:

You forgot to mention Star or Murphy or the bad draft picks of Oliver and the part time right tackle. How about resigning a kicker before his contract was due who hasn’t hit a 50 yarder all year. Beane has missed on as much as he has hit on. Missing on top picks is the way to the unemployment line IMO. Tre is still a question mark to me. I right now would not give him big money when his rookie deal is done. He doesn’t stop the run and isn’t physical enough to scare people from crossing the middle. 

Why would I mention them? I was responding to your comment that there is only one player on the team who isn’t “routinely invisible”

How long was Tyrod in the NFL before he got his 20 starts, and how long was Allen in the NFL before he got his 20 starts.  People love to nit pick to push their agendas while ignoring some facts.  The fact is Tyrod was in the NFL for 3-4 years learning behind Flacco before he got his chance and did not out perform a rookie in his first 20 starts. Why are they not bringing this up?

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, CircleTheWagons99 said:

How long was Tyrod in the NFL before he got his 20 starts, and how long was Allen in the NFL before he got his 20 starts.  People love to nit pick to push their agendas while ignoring some facts.  The fact is Tyrod was in the NFL for 3-4 years learning behind Flacco before he got his chance and did not out perform a rookie in his first 20 starts. Why are they not bringing this up?

They aren't even talking about Tyrod's first 20 starts. They're talking about his last 20....

People keep throwing smoke bombs left and right...how Tyrod was a vet and Allen is not, how the comparison is Tyrod's last 20 versus Allen's first 20...while all of that is not wrong, it's also missing the point.  

If we take the bank of 20 games that Tyrod had, and we can come to the conclusion that it "wasn't good enough" or "not a good QB", and compare those to the bank of 20 games that Allen has, logically we have to draw the same conclusion...that RIGHT NOW Allen is not good enough, and that he is a far below average QB.

That doesn't mean that Allen can't improve, that doesn't mean that Allen may have not hit his ceiling yet in those 20 games and Tyrod had...just means that in the past 20 games, Allen has not played well and we need MORE from him.  We hope that comes with more experience, but right now he's not good enough...

Edited by Z-Mann