McDermott Weds Presser: Sullivan asks whether Allen is an improvement over Tyrod

YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

Right back at ya!

Thanks. I was responding to your question of it I'd criticize after he throws to 300 yards.

I don't care about any of that stuff. I'm results oriented. In other words i want Buffalo to win and I don't care how we do it. But we have lost 2 out of the last 3. QB ALWAYS had the most impact so he gets the most criticism in a loss. Had Josh hit the 3rd and 4 bomb we'd be crowning hi right now.

I was also initially responding to someone who i thought was saying Hotrod couldn't hit the long ball.  I believe you share that opinion.

I just want to win. I don't care about 300 yard games of upside of any of that stuff. I also don't like baby sitting young QBs on a wing and a prayer they might be good someday.  I'll know Josh can be good when he is good.  In the meantime I hope we keep winning.

go BILLS !!

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, IDBillzFan said:

Imagine how embarrassing your journalism career must be that you need to ask a stupid, useless question that you promote on social media just to get people to talk about how embarrassing your journalism career is.

Sullivan is the ultimate troll. One listen of his show in the morning with his kiss ass co-host and you would see that Sullivan is about drama under the disguise of journalism. Its sad actually.  

56 minutes ago, MJS said:

Especially since McDermott only had Tyrod for a single season as a bridge QB. Why should he care about Tyrod's overall performance as a Bill? We might as well compare Allen to Joe Ferguson or Jim Kelly. Such a comparison is equally as relevant (which is not at all).

Lets not forget that Tyrod in his final season was making about 18 million while Josh is making about couple of million.

2 hours ago, london_bills said:

Just watched the browns highlights. Less running from allen than the Dolphins game which I think is good (I think you have to see what you have in him as an 80% passer). Good throws in there, he throws well over the middle. The disappointment of the game tends to go a few days later and you see what's looks like a decent QB in the highlights. The disappointment of continual falling drives and lack of 3rd down conversions was frustrating in the game. Highlights do show potential but the game context is taken away. I thought he was less confident in the browns game compared with how he was in that Dolphins game last year. I don't want it to be the case that the bigger pressure game he is worse in. The Dolphins game last year was not a pressure game in fairness. 

I really think for all this BILLS only take one game at a time talk is just that talk. Just like it was really no pressure in week 17 for Allen it was also no pressure on the BILLS coaching staff to not over coach Allen and allowing him to let it rip.

The one area I would like to see Josh Allen improve in would be hitting his receivers in stride.  His yards after the catch would  increase his total passing yardage. I think this aspect of his game is much more crucial to his growth as a quarterback than improving on his 30 plus yard passes.  This would build his confidence and I think would eventually translate into improved efficiency in his long distance passing. 

Edited by Magnum Force
  • Like (+1) 2

josh-allen-stats-after-week-10.png

While stats aren't everything, it's pretty clear that Josh is one of the worst passing QBs in the league right now. Just look at these stats. That's not to say he doesn't have potential, or that he can't fix his issues, but so far this season his production is in line with duds like Trubisky, Mayfield, and Mariota.

Edited by bru_bills

4 hours ago, Maine-iac said:

Whether he cares about Taylor or not he should care about the fact that he took a team that lead the NFL in rushing for 2 straight seasons and scored 23/24 ppg during that stretch and turned it into a team that scores under 20 for two straight going on 3 straight seasons and that's after investing the 7th pick in the draft to replace a two time pro bowl QB.  No matter who's asking it seems like a valid question.  I am on the side of people who think a little more time and probably one more draft and offseason to hopefully get the O-line right and we might turn a corner but I can't blame people for asking the question.

He wasn't asked about the change in points per game. He was asked about Allen vs Tyrod.

6 hours ago, MJS said:

I'm all for asking tough questions. I have no issue with Schopp asking tough questions. My issues with Schopp are:

1) He doesn't seem to care about the Bills or football in general.

2) He doesn't seem to like his job and definately doesn't seem to like talking to fans who call in.

3) Half the time he isn't even talking about football. He goes off on stupid tangents (I think this is a biproduct of his lack of interest in the Bills or football)

4) His knowledge of football is lacking. He admits to not even watching the games sometimes.

So I think he is not good at his job. He's overly negative and pompous. He doesn't like the Bills or football. I don't see why he even does what he does. He seems smart enough to do something else that he could be passionate about. He serves no purpose as a football radio personality.

You realize his job description is "radio broadcaster" and not "football expert," right?

It is funny, b/c I have seen your exact complaints over and over again not only here, but at several Buffalo Sabres boards where they are complaining he is not knowledgable about hockey and spends too much time talking about the Bills and football.

LOL.

What you and those hockey fans seem to overlook is that he has to try to attract a wide audience and be able to speak about a wide variety of sports topics in general.

You ignore things he is great at like Bills trivia, Bills history, NFL historic games, fantasy football/gambling aspects of sports (I hate that stuff myself but I'm sure many listeners love it), solid baseball knowledge, NBA knowledge, etc.

If you expect a local sports radio host to get into an Xs and Os discussion on what the Bills are doing wrong on 3rd and long passing downs, you need to adjust your thinking.

Very few people want to listen to that sort of detailed, technical analysis of football, even if a majority of this board probably would.

This board is a tiny segment of the WNY sports fan in general.

You are also failing to distinguish how he treats callers.  He does treat some of them with a degree of disrespect.  That tends to be the dumb ones who make poor arguments, get player/coach names wrong, and are just killing air time.

He is very consistently complimentary of callers who are intelligent, make cogent arguments, and add something of value to the show.  There aren't nearly as many of those but hey, this is Buffalo sports radio.  It is what it is.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Sullivan and Schopp should work together.

lets see a guy you know wont be great and isnt even starting vs a guy who has the highest potential and is still very young who has to work on defenses knowing how he plays and get better. 

Allen has made tremendous strides on his short to intermediate game, which all the haters were whining about last year, he has regressed on the deep ball which is weird since he was good at it last year. However after yesterday's presser he admitted to being afraid of throwing ints and has been over throwing them, hopefully this realization and McDermott telling the team to play Fearless, he can get back on track here.

17 hours ago, Casey D said:

The problem is that there is an underlying assumption that there are a boat load of guys out there ready to play QB at a high level in the NFL.  There are not.  If you want to give up on Allen already, what is the next flavor?  There are only a handful of guys who can play QB well in the NFL, way less than 32.  You have to make absolutely sure Allen is not it before moving on.  And he has had no where near enough time yet, no matter how impatient some are.  He is making slow, two steps forward/ one step back progress so far IMO. 

And there are several QBs who were thought to be the answer for their teams who have since regressed: Mariota, Goff, Trubisky, Mayfield, Wentz

37 minutes ago, ColeB said:

And there are several QBs who were thought to be the answer for their teams who have since regressed: Mariota, Goff, Trubisky, Mayfield, Wentz

It's almost like you have to be patient with young QBs. 

What Allen is not: A disaster. What Allen is also not: Mahomes or Watson. 

Let him grow. Many things are better this year. The long ball is not one of them. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1