McDermott Weds Presser: Sullivan asks whether Allen is an improvement over Tyrod

YoloinOhio

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

You stated to someone else " Funny you didn’t mention Watson’s OL or RB when he was a rookie."    What was your point?

I took it to imply that somehow Watson was great with inferior pieces around him.  Watson's OL had 3 returning quality starters.  His RB when he was a rookie, Lamar Miller, had gained >1000 years the previous year and gained 888 plus doubled his passing yards Watson's rookie year (they put him in space and used him as a check-down more).  He had one of the best WR in the game in Hopkins.

And they all knew the system, play terminology, and their roles in those plays, having played in it for years under O'Brian

Watson is a great QB.  I'll be ecstatic if Allen approaches as good - he may not.  But to talk as though he had a similar situation in terms of talent and a new system to what Allen has had, well, it's simply not so.

Well the discussion started with Dallas’ OL and RB. Watson’s OL was terrible his rookie year. I believe it was the worst in the NFL. I don’t consider Lamar Miller anything special, at least not by NFL standards. 

There are more similarities than differences in Allen’s and Watson’s starts, IMO. Both started the season as the backup, (omg he has no chemistry with the ones!!!!) they both had not so good OL’s, they both took over fringe playoff teams with terrible offenses, (Hop’s numbers aside, the Brocketship was horrific the year prior and they were 31 or 32 in the NFL). 

In terms of the things you pointed out, sure. They seem valid on their face. But how much do they really matter for success compared to the actual ability of the QB? Like if you had to rank the reasons why Watson has had success in the NFL, the clear #1 reason would be because he’s actually really good. Paling in comparison would be because DeAndre Hopkins knew what a go route was in BOB’s offense before TC started.

And you can cherry pick these reasons all over the NFL. Goff had to learn an entire new offense with entirely new WR’s his second season. So did Lamar Jackson. Carson Wentz’s weapons sucked when he started. Winston has had how many OC’s in his career? How many of Mariota’s weapons have been exchanged?

Somehow, despite all of these things, the good QB’s end up being good, and the bad QB’s end up being bad. That’s just really all there is to it.

Just watched the Dolphins highlights last year. Allen does look good there. There was a comment here saying they want the old josh back.

Lots of running in that game from allen, I always see him play better when he runs AS well as passes.

Some good catches from zay Jones in there aswell. Shock. 

All in all a real lack of consistency. 

50 minutes ago, notwoz said:

But I am saying that it was a legitimate question. Because the offense has not shown any marked improvement. 

But that wasn't his question. His question was about stats in Tyrod's first 20 games vs Allen's stats in his first 20 games, specifically his yards per game. If you can't see on the face of it why that question is stupid there's no more conversation to be had.

2 minutes ago, london_bills said:

Just watched the Dolphins highlights last year. Allen does look good there. There was a comment here saying they want the old josh back.

Lots of running in that game from allen, I always see him play better when he runs AS well as passes.

Some good catches from zay Jones in there aswell. Shock. 

All in all a real lack of consistency. 

It was one of Zay’s best games 

Just watched the browns highlights. Less running from allen than the Dolphins game which I think is good (I think you have to see what you have in him as an 80% passer). Good throws in there, he throws well over the middle. The disappointment of the game tends to go a few days later and you see what's looks like a decent QB in the highlights. The disappointment of continual falling drives and lack of 3rd down conversions was frustrating in the game. Highlights do show potential but the game context is taken away. I thought he was less confident in the browns game compared with how he was in that Dolphins game last year. I don't want it to be the case that the bigger pressure game he is worse in. The Dolphins game last year was not a pressure game in fairness. 

This question was strange.

But, in general, I support "tough" questions. McDermott, while not outwardly reacting too much, has shown some signs of having thin skin with respect to media relations. Whether it's his rescheduling of his weekly WGR appearance to (seemingly) avoid Schopp after some of their encounters last year, the attempt to avoid issuing a press pass to Sullivan at his new outfit (who knows if McD was involved in this or not), or McD's subtle frustration that you pick up on when Sully asks questions.

1 minute ago, The Bills Blog said:

This question was strange.

But, in general, I support "tough" questions. McDermott, while not outwardly reacting too much, has shown some signs of having thin skin with respect to media relations. Whether it's his rescheduling of his weekly WGR appearance to (seemingly) avoid Schopp after some of their encounters last year, the attempt to avoid issuing a press pass to Sullivan at his new outfit (who knows if McD was involved in this or not), or McD's subtle frustration that you pick up on when Sully asks questions.

You're one of the few people I've seen/heard mention the re-scheduling of McDermott's weekly segment with WGR-550.

There is zero possibility this has nothing to do with his run-in with Schopp last year.  You know, that awkward situation where Schopp started their segment by asking "So what do you see in Nate Peterman that no one else does?" (LOL!) and culminated in McDermott hanging up the phone on them without saying "goodbye" or "thanks" at the end.

That led to a commercial break and Schopp disappearing from the air for like 1/2 hour.  Bulldog covered and operated a 1 man show, never mentioning anything about Schopp's disappearance.

Eventually Schopp rejoined the show and said something like "Well that was interesting" and Bulldog laughed...and neither said anything more or really explained what was meant by that.  Neither ever addressed Schopp's disappearance.  

I think I created a thread about it at the time.  One of the more entertaining moments in recent WNY sports radio.

I digress, but I agree McDermott has thin skin.  He doesn't know how easy he has it in Buffalo.

Most of those guys ask softball leading questions because they are jock sniffers and want to be perceived by the coach as a "football guy" who "knows what he's talking about" and they are attracted to the idea that they are somehow a part of an NFL franchise or at least on the inside with one.  

Of that sort, Sal Capaccio is among the worst.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

You're one of the few people I've seen/heard mention the re-scheduling of McDermott's weekly segment with WGR-550.

There is zero possibility this has nothing to do with his run-in with Schopp last year.  You know, that awkward situation where Schopp started their segment by asking "So what do you see in Nate Peterman that no one else does?" (LOL!) and culminated in McDermott hanging up the phone on them without saying "goodbye" or "thanks" at the end.

That led to a commercial break and Schopp disappearing from the air for like 1/2 hour.  Bulldog covered and operated a 1 man show, never mentioning anything about Schopp's disappearance.

Eventually Schopp rejoined the show and said something like "Well that was interesting" and Bulldog laughed...and neither said anything more or really explained what was meant by that.  Neither ever addressed Schopp's disappearance.  

I think I created a thread about it at the time.  One of the more entertaining moments in recent WNY sports radio.

I digress, but I agree McDermott has thin skin.  He doesn't know how easy he has it in Buffalo.

Most of those guys ask softball leading questions because they are jock sniffers and want to be perceived by the coach as a "football guy" who "knows what he's talking about" and they are attracted to the idea that they are somehow a part of an NFL franchise or at least on the inside with one.  

Of that sort, Sal Capaccio is among the worst.

Yeah I remember that whole episode. Mcdermott definitely speaking with schopp off air.

Schopp gets alot of flak. I find him somewhat arrogant but good at what he does, he isn't agreeable. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

This is really where I am.  There are miles and miles of things that can be critiqued about the team and about Allen right now.

Looking at an arbitrary window for Taylor and Allen to compare them and ask that question just seems like working overtime to create controversy.

Especially since McDermott only had Tyrod for a single season as a bridge QB. Why should he care about Tyrod's overall performance as a Bill? We might as well compare Allen to Joe Ferguson or Jim Kelly. Such a comparison is equally as relevant (which is not at all).

25 minutes ago, london_bills said:

Yeah I remember that whole episode. Mcdermott definitely speaking with schopp off air.

Schopp gets alot of flak. I find him somewhat arrogant but good at what he does, he isn't agreeable. 

I'm all for asking tough questions. I have no issue with Schopp asking tough questions. My issues with Schopp are:

1) He doesn't seem to care about the Bills or football in general.

2) He doesn't seem to like his job and definately doesn't seem to like talking to fans who call in.

3) Half the time he isn't even talking about football. He goes off on stupid tangents (I think this is a biproduct of his lack of interest in the Bills or football)

4) His knowledge of football is lacking. He admits to not even watching the games sometimes.

So I think he is not good at his job. He's overly negative and pompous. He doesn't like the Bills or football. I don't see why he even does what he does. He seems smart enough to do something else that he could be passionate about. He serves no purpose as a football radio personality.

10 minutes ago, MJS said:

Especially since McDermott only had Tyrod for a single season as a bridge QB. Why should he care about Tyrod's overall performance as a Bill? We might as well compare Allen to Joe Ferguson or Jim Kelly. Such a comparison is equally as relevant (which is not at all).

Whether he cares about Taylor or not he should care about the fact that he took a team that lead the NFL in rushing for 2 straight seasons and scored 23/24 ppg during that stretch and turned it into a team that scores under 20 for two straight going on 3 straight seasons and that's after investing the 7th pick in the draft to replace a two time pro bowl QB.  No matter who's asking it seems like a valid question.  I am on the side of people who think a little more time and probably one more draft and offseason to hopefully get the O-line right and we might turn a corner but I can't blame people for asking the question.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Haha. I thought this hack crawled away for good. That fact he's still around is both sad and hilarious. Imagine having a) so little skill that you were b) let go from an irrelavant tiny mid market newspaper and c) despite covering major sports couldn't land a job anywhere else of note. I think that's the definition of karma. 

Can't imagine that ever happening to Jim Kelley, Milt Northrup, Larry Felser, or any of the classically fair, emotionally disconnect reporters who had talent for writing and reporting about sports without trying to interject themselves into everything (Capaccio, White, Graham, Schopp et al).