McDermott Weds Presser: Sullivan asks whether Allen is an improvement over Tyrod

YoloinOhio

21 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

A legitimate question would be to ask McDermott why the offense hasn't improved after 2 years. Asking McDermott about a specific cherry picked stat for a rookie vs a veteran is not legitimate. It is basically just trolling.

Maybe, just maybe, the offense hasn't improved because Allen hasn't been able to move the offense forward. Ever consider that? I'm not saying Allen is an improvement over Tyrod or not. But I am saying that it was a legitimate question. Because the offense has not shown any marked improvement. 

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

1) how long had the offensive system been in place - the terminology and the plays they built around with Watson?

2) who was Watson throwing to, and where were they the previous year?

They had a brand new OC the year Watson started.

Hopkins and Fuller were there a year before.

Edit: it appears they only fired their previous OC. I guess BOB was doing it all himself that year.

Edited by BringBackOrton

11 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I would have thought your wait for that one pass would end here:

Like I told the other guy that posted this, it was a long time ago I must have forgotten.  It was a nice pass.  Since he hasn't thrown any more before or since I think I'll have to chalk it up to the proverbial blind squirrel finding a nut theory. 

The other one he posted was way under thrown like the one in the Eagles game, but Zay made a nice play on it.

Be nice to see another one some time this season.  I'll be waiting ...

2 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

Like I told the other guy that posted this, it was a long time ago I must have forgotten.  It was a nice pass.  Since he hasn't thrown any more before or since I think I'll have to chalk it up to the proverbial blind squirrel finding a nut theory. 

The other one he posted was way under thrown like the one in the Eagles game, but Zay made a nice play on it.

Be nice to see another one some time this season.  I'll be waiting ...

You are a special species, that's for sure.  You're waiting for one pass.  I go to youtube and type "Josh Allen bomb" and find one, Snap.

Now it's a "proverbial blind squirrel finding a nut"

We see those goalposts a'movin

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, notwoz said:

Maybe, just maybe, the offense hasn't improved because Allen hasn't been able to move the offense forward. Ever consider that? I'm not saying Allen is an improvement over Tyrod or not. But I am saying that it was a legitimate question. Because the offense has not shown any marked improvement. 

Coaches make the team.  Stars are great but coaches make the team.  Our defense is great because McDermott and Frazier are both good DC.  Taylor was good when Roman/Lynn were coaching and not so much with Dennison.  Daboll is an improvement over Dennison and I think, like Allen, can get better.  If you look overall Daboll is hitting the same numbers he's hit virtually his whole career.  Lucky for us we probably don't need to score 25ppg and if Daboll and Allen can manage to cut the turnovers and score just another couple of ppg we can probably field a good enough defense to be in most games.

8 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

They had a brand new OC the year Watson started.

Hopkins and Fuller were there a year before.

Edit: it appears they only fired their previous OC. I guess BOB was doing it all himself that year.

I think any OC that works under Bill O'Brian runs Bill O'Brian's offense as Bill O'Brian wants it run, or it's "don't let the door hitcha where the good lord splitcha"

But I could be wrong

Hopkins, Fuller, and RB Lamar Miller put up excellent numbers the year before and excellent numbers with Watson.

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think any OC that works under Bill O'Brian runs Bill O'Brian's offense as Bill O'Brian wants it run, or it's "don't let the door hitcha where the good lord splitcha"

But I could be wrong

Hopkins, Fuller, and RB Lamar Miller put up excellent numbers the year before and excellent numbers with Watson.

Sure, okay. What is your point?

1 minute ago, notwoz said:

Well, what was his question, then?

He stated that Allen's passing numbers in his 20 starts were virtually identical to Tyrod's last 20 starts.  "You moved away from Taylor to upgrade your passing game.  So, is that enough of an upgrade? Or are you waiting for the next 20 starts to see?"

You stated "Asking the coach what makes him an improvement is not an unfair question. ". 

But that's not what he asked.

I would actually agree that giving the stats and then say "Can you comment on what you see in Josh Allen that makes him or will make him an upgrade to the passing game?" might be a reasonable question, although IMO to arbitrarily bunch 20 starts for a rookie QB and compare them to the last 20 starts of a guy who had 3 years after 4 to learn from the bench is kind of junk.  But the way Sullivan phrased his question was clearly loaded.

I thought McDermott handled it pretty well.

12 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

You are a special species, that's for sure.  You're waiting for one pass.  I go to youtube and type "Josh Allen bomb" and find one, Snap.

Now it's a "proverbial blind squirrel finding a nut"

We see those goalposts a'movin

True.

OK, he got one.  I'm happy.  Are you?

Would be nice to have more than one every 20 games.  But he does have one!

6 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

Sure, okay. What is your point?

You stated to someone else " Funny you didn’t mention Watson’s OL or RB when he was a rookie."    What was your point?

I took it to imply that somehow Watson was great with inferior pieces around him.  Watson's OL had 3 returning quality starters.  His RB when he was a rookie, Lamar Miller, had gained >1000 years the previous year and gained 888 plus doubled his passing yards Watson's rookie year (they put him in space and used him as a check-down more).  He had one of the best WR in the game in Hopkins.

And they all knew the system, play terminology, and their roles in those plays, having played in it for years under O'Brian

Watson is a great QB.  I'll be ecstatic if Allen approaches as good - he may not.  But to talk as though he had a similar situation in terms of talent and a new system to what Allen has had, well, it's simply not so.

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

He stated that Allen's passing numbers in his 20 starts were virtually identical to Tyrod's last 20 starts.  "You moved away from Taylor to upgrade your passing game.  So, is that enough of an upgrade? Or are you waiting for the next 20 starts to see?"

You stated "Asking the coach what makes him an improvement is not an unfair question. ". 

But that's not what he asked.

I would actually agree that giving the stats and then say "Can you comment on what you see in Josh Allen that makes him or will make him an upgrade to the passing game?" might be a reasonable question, although IMO to arbitrarily bunch 20 starts for a rookie QB and compare them to the last 20 starts of a guy who had 3 years after 4 to learn from the bench is kind of junk.  But the way Sullivan phrased his question was clearly loaded.

I thought McDermott handled it pretty well.

I still think it was a legitimate question. They dumped Tyrod (not that I was a big Tyrod fan) in favor of Allen. The results of the change haven't been overwhelming.  And Allen is no longer a rookie. He is in his second year. And the "signs of progress" aren't exactly comforting. 

1 minute ago, reddogblitz said:

True.

OK, he got one.  I'm happy.  Are you?

Would be nice to have more than one every 20 games.  But he does have one!

There you go.  I predicted it.  If he hits one next game or shows history of such, it will then be he needs to do it more often.  

I really wonder, if he hits two long balls and throws for over 300 Sunday, what the next thing folks will find to criticize?

Just now, notwoz said:

I still think it was a legitimate question. They dumped Tyrod (not that I was a big Tyrod fan) in favor of Allen. The results of the change haven't been overwhelming.  And Allen is no longer a rookie. He is in his second year. And the "signs of progress" aren't exactly comforting. 

Then we disagree.  I think it was a bullcrap question based on inappropriate statistical binning and phrased to provoke controversy.

Just now, oldmanfan said:

There you go.  I predicted it.  If he hits one next game or shows history of such, it will then be he needs to do it more often.  

I really wonder, if he hits two long balls and throws for over 300 Sunday, what the next thing folks will find to criticize?

Just win baby.

34 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

What? My original point was that QB’s past year 2 do not take great leaps forward in ability in today’s NFL. Mahomes doesn’t invalidate that, he MAKES MY POINT. Unless you’re arguing he’s taken a leap from last year??

No, you said project QBs never work out. Mahomes was a project QB. Actually Aaron Rodgers was a project QB who didn't start until after 3 years. There's another one. What's the excuse for why he doesn't count?

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

No, you said project QBs never work out. Mahomes was a project QB. Actually Aaron Rodgers was a project QB who didn't start until after 3 years. There's another one. What's the excuse for why he doesn't count?

1 hour ago, BringBackOrton said:

In the last decade, what QB improved drastically from who they were in year two to present?

If you’re going to jump into a conversation, try to read it from the beginning. My use of “project QB” was directly related to, “improving drastically past their second year.”

Edited by BringBackOrton