McDermott Weds Presser: Sullivan asks whether Allen is an improvement over Tyrod

YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, FiftyPercent said:

Wow, Jerry's pertinent question got a lot of TBD panties in a wad.

You got that right!  Jerry and Schopp can rev 'em up like no one else.

The funny part is that it's so predictable.

:lol:

:beer:

Edited by Nextmanup
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

You just dodged the question. I'm asking you simply to confirm what you wrote a couple pages back. 

I'm saying that they are more similar than not after a 20 game career.  

Nobody knows whether Allen's career will diverge from Young's from this point forward.  

43 minutes ago, Questionable said:

I think he's pretty football smart and he's not a dumb individual.  He hasn't by any means mastered reading a defense, he still looks tentative at times in the pocket, like he's unsure.  Other times he does not. That's expected at this point. 

My main concern for him is accuracy.  It was the biggest question coming out of college.  Can he deliver the ball accurately to receivers?  When I say accurately, I mean hitting guys in stride with good ball placement for YAC.  At the end of the day that is what racks up yards and leads to big plays.

I can see the accuracy issues. I know he scored high in the wonderlic test. I don't know how football intelligent he is, he seems more of an instinctive Tyrod/ Newton player to me than a manning/Brady type in terms of his football intelligence.. More athletic than cerebral on the field. 

Edited by london_bills

1 minute ago, BringBackOrton said:

I thought playing the “LOL STATS” game was stupid. Didn’t you say that two pages ago?

i guess when the goal is to defend a mediocre QB whose contemporaries make him look like a failure, anything is fair game as ammunition if it suits your argument.

The method of comparison he used was raw stats (and yes, I think it's a very stupid way of comparing players). Also incorrect, as anyone who watched Young play will be able to confirm.

His contemporaries include guys like Mayfield, Darnold, Rosen, and Jackson. I'd argue he's outplaying 3/4 of them.

Here’s a fun game. Let’s look at the first and second 16 starts of some other young QB’s that most of TBD thinks aren’t good enough.

Andy Dalton

Year 1 3398 yards, 20 TD’s 13 INT

Year 2 3639 27 TD 16 INT

Ryan Tannehill

Year 1 3294 12-13

Year 2 3913 24-17

Derek Carr 

Year 1 3270 21-12

Year 2 3987 32-13

Will Josh Allen hit those lofty stats of dudes who “suck” by the end of his second year? Or is this another, “the Bills need to demand better QB play, except not like that!!!!!”

What happened to QB development?

Josh Allen is going to tear this league up in the years to come.  I’m almost shuddering for the rest of the NFL.  It will be vehement, decisive and legendary.

And the no nothings who tried to render a verdict a little over one season in will be shouting “I knew it!  I told everyone!”

Watch.  This is what will happen.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GoBills808 said:

The method of comparison he used was raw stats (and yes, I think it's a very stupid way of comparing players). Also incorrect, as anyone who watched Young play will be able to confirm.

His contemporaries include guys like Mayfield, Darnold, Rosen, and Jackson. I'd argue he's outplaying 3/4 of them.

Mayfield is a better QB. So is Mahomes, Watson,  Minfield, Goff.

Hang your hat on Josh being better than Rosen and Darnold if you wish. I’m sure some Andy Dalton fans were pleased that Andy was better than Brandon Weeden.

1 minute ago, Success said:

Josh Allen is going to tear this league up in the years to come.  I’m almost shuddering for the rest of the NFL.  It will be vehement, decisive and legendary.

And the no nothings who tried to render a verdict a little over one season in will be shouting “I knew it!  I told everyone!”

Don't worry, I will hold all of them to account.

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

As an overall body of work this season, Allen hasn't been been very good.  I really don't think it can be debated...

True.  

However, you should also say and include:  

As an overall body of work this season, Allen hasn’t been very bad.   I really don’t think it can be debated...

Some people need to be reminded of that as some are delusional and over the top on the negative too.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Mayfield is a better QB. So is Mahomes, Watson,  Minfield, Goff.

Hang your hat on Josh being better than Rosen and Darnold if you wish. I’m sure some Andy Dalton fans were pleased that Andy was better than Brandon Weeden.

Mahomes and Watson are two of the top QBs in the league, so yeah...I would think they're better than Allen.

Mayfield and Goff are eminently debatable. LOL @ Minshew

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, london_bills said:

I can see the accuracy issues. I know he scored high in the wonderlic test. I don't know how football intelligent he is, he seems more of an instinctive Tyrod/ Newton player to me than a manning/Brady type in terms of his football intelligence.. Ore athletic than cerebral on the field. 

Well I can only go off of what I've heard him say in pressers after games.  When asked about specific passes during the games, he always seems to recall them, what coverage the defense was in, what they were trying to do defensively, and that he just wasn't able to connect on the pass play. 

I also remember reading or seeing somewhere during the draft process they called him on the phone and quizzed him about coverage's they had gone over the prior week or two before during his visit.  He remembered them all.

I've have to believe OBD believed Allen had all the mental aspects the were looking for as well as the physical tools, but accuracy was his biggest weakness.  I really think that they believed they could work on mechanics and technique to make him a more accurate passer, knowing he had everything else.

• Like (+1) 1

Mahomes and Watson are two of the top QBs in the league, so yeah...I would think they're better than Allen.

Mayfield and Goff are eminently debatable. LOL @ Minshew

Yeah Mahomes and Watson were drafted only a year before Allen, so yeah, they are his contemporaries. Even better, Watson was still “technically a rookie” when Allen was in his rookie year.

Goff is debateable? Absurdity. Goff benefits from better coaching but he is ABSOLUTELY a better QB than Allen today. It’s not even close. 

27 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

So what? You know that a journalists job is not to lob softballs in pressers, right?

They can throw hard balls, but the questions should not be dumb. What does Tyrod Taylor have to do with Josh Allen? There's plenty of ammunition to attack Allen with.

Yeah Mahomes and Watson were drafted only a year before Allen, so yeah, they are his contemporaries. Even better, Watson was still “technically a rookie” when Allen was in his rookie year.

Goff is debateable? Absurdity. Goff benefits from better coaching but he is ABSOLUTELY a better QB than Allen today. It’s not even close. 

All those guys have more experience, Goff included. NFL learning curve is steep at QB. Watson and Mahomes have some of the cushiest offenses in the league. Why would you expect Allen to be at their level right now? That's an absurd expectation.

...which is why I refer you to his draft class, where he's outperforming all of them except Jackson (debatably). 

36 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

Oh really?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cTNqwZ5gkY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzrwEpKYHWk

I'm still waiting for Josh to throw one pass like any of these.

Or this for that matter:

I don't think I was clear what I meant. I did not mean being bad at the deep ball was a Tyrod trait. What I meant was being reasonably accurate when he did actually get to throwing it was a Tyrod trait. The problem was getting him to stay in the pocket and throw it on time. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Success said:

That went out the window for me the day they announced Peterman as the opening day starter last season. You’re gonna trust the same guys who did that to develop a raw project QB? It’s laughable. 

• Like (+1) 1

All those guys have more experience, Goff included. NFL learning curve is steep at QB. Watson and Mahomes have some of the cushiest offenses in the league. Why would you expect Allen to be at their level right now? That's an absurd expectation.

...which is why I refer you to his draft class, where he's outperforming all of them except Jackson (debatably). 

Watson was electric ON DAY ONE. Did you watch him play? Why was Minshew able to be so productive with zero NFL experience when Allen had a year on him? 

The excuses continue to tumble tumble tumble. Other rookie QB’s were infinitely better than Josh as a rookie, but “the learning curve in the NFL is steep!” 

I don’t expect Allen to be as good as Deshaun Watson as a rookie, because Watson is just a flat out much better player. That’s the problem.

1 minute ago, Chemical said:

That went out the window for me the day they announced Peterman as the opening day starter last season. You’re gonna trust the same guys who did that to develop a raw project QB? It’s laughable. 

You give people one short leash, make an error and they're outside the circle of trust Mr. Deniro.