McDermott Weds Presser: Sullivan asks whether Allen is an improvement over Tyrod

YoloinOhio

46 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

We have a bad offense.  We moved on from Taylor because we wanted more from the QB position and it's not happening right now.  We have only 2 games this year where our offense has scored more than 2 offensive TD's?  That's pretty bad.

That's all true. I don't think the majority of the blame for the offense lays at Allans feet. That's the difference. 

28 minutes ago, ngbills said:

I see plenty of plays supposedly Tyrod would never be able to make...

THANK YOU!

And you know what's really weird?  The people rushing to defend McDermott and Allen NOW and the same who rushed to defend Tyrod and Rex Ryan!  

But now they make fun of those 2...

And when Allen flushes out and we have a coaching change, they will all make fun of McDermott and his clapping and refer to Allen as not good enough.

It's really, really weird.

1 hour ago, Questionable said:

A lot of hate here for people who buck the status quo.

Revoke press passes?   Punch him in the mouth?  All because he's pointing out the obvious? 

He's your pick McDermott.   At some point you are going to need to own up to his bad play and people want to hear more of an answer than its the process, or the mind growth set.  

McDermott consistently points to the short and intermediate passes as some kind proof Allen is improving.   Check downs to pad stats isn't growth.  Accurately and consistently delivering slants to give receivers YAC is growth.  Improvement on ball placement is growth.  Connecting with the deep ball once or twice a game to back off the defense is growth. 

Its clear this team doesn't really have an offensive identity.  McDermott has made that clear.  If we have to throw 100 times we will.   If we have to run 100 times we will. 

Its clear the game plan against Cleveland was to expose them in the passing game.   That was the game plan and McDermott was on board with it.   Allen under delivered. 

What I hate is the smoke and mirrors.   He had a bad game McDermott, admit it. He's not progressing the way you'd like him to McDermott, admit it. 

Unfortunately with the upcoming schedule looming on the horizon, and lack of progress from Allen, McDermott is going to come under a lot more fire from the media with each passing loss. 

The line of questioning isn't going to get any easier, especially after a 6-2 start and serious playoff aspirations dwindling.

Its a matter of time before the national media begins to apply pressure on McDermott and Allen. 

Do we crash and burn with Allen or make a Qb switch to save a promising season with playoffs aspirations?   That's going to be the national media narrative if we lose to Miami and Denver.  

Welcome to the board. Your career as a poster can literally only go up from here, good luck. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GoBills808 said:

And yet, the results improved. I assume this, in your view and others', is somehow despite a concurrent improvement in 'inputs' like his 'mechanics' and 'read(ing) the defenses better'? How miraculous. Good stuff.

An argument can be made that the noticeable improvement has been in the mechanics, but the larger hurdle is the processing part and why these discussions are still ongoing.

Just now, Royale with Cheese said:

I see a lot of your points...I really do.  I'm just frustrated that our offense is still struggling....

Me too. And maybe it is on Allen- we honestly don't know the behind the scene stuff. We've seen this offense go up and down the field at times, we've seen them be absolutely incredible in the red-zone (where bad offenses usually struggle the most), we just haven't seen them do things consistently well... To me, that screams coaching. At best we have a young QB who is playing decently for who he is and where he's at being hamstrung by bad coaching (my take), at worst we have a young QB struggling badly and being left to struggle by a coach that wont adjust. Either way, what are the coaches doing to help Allen thrive? That's the big question on my mind these days. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, GG said:

An argument can be made that the noticeable improvement has been in the mechanics, but the larger hurdle is the processing part and why these discussions are still ongoing.

These discussions are ongoing because the vast majority of this board seems unaware that what happens presnap is the result of experience, a quarterback's relationship with his OC, his familiarity with his center, and generally not expected to be anything near a finished product 20 games into his career.

Just now, Calidiehard said:

Why not just compare Brady's 1st 20-22 starts and his whopping 212 yards a game average. These comparisons are ridiculous as they are different players with different skills on different teams.

People do it to make them feel better about Allen. Im starting to think this is what he is. 

1 minute ago, Jrb1979 said:

People do it to make them feel better about Allen. Im starting to think this is what he is. 

They also do it to tear him down and say he will never improve. None of us know how he will do moving forward, but I am quietly optimistic based on what I have seen from year 1 until now.

1 minute ago, GoBills808 said:

These discussions are ongoing because the vast majority of this board seems unaware that what happens presnap is the result of experience, a quarterback's relationship with his OC, his familiarity with his center, and generally not expected to be anything near a finished product 20 games into his career.

And does this defense of Allen's play sound closer to that of EJ Manuel, JP Losman, Trent Edwards, Todd Collins, Vince Young, Kyle Boller or of Eli Manning, Ben Roethlisberger,  Mahomes, Watson, Wilson, Dak, etc?

15 minutes ago, Jerry Jabber said:

I think Coach McDermott got tired of the idiotic questions coming from reporters about the offense, that he finally had enough and left the press conference early. The last one (starting at 08:11) really got McD irked.

https://13wham.com/buffalo-plus/buffalo-plus-videos/raw-sean-mcdermott-news-conference-on-wed-november-13-2019

I agree.  

As I said to Gunner, I think a lot of these questions reflect bad reporting.   "Are you frustrated with the success of your offense?"   Come on, you actually need a quote from McDermott about that.   

I think a fair question is "you say player X needs to improve.  Can you give us an example of the kind of thing you do to get improvement?   And don't just say ' we have to continue to work.'"  Ask him tell us what kind of things coaches are doing, what are they looking at on film, what are they talking to the players about?   

McDermott, for his part, needs to be a little more forthcoming about things.   He needs to give the press something, and all of this "continue to work, continue to improve" stuff only goes so far.   At some point he has to say something.   He needs to prepare for the press conferences with some nuggets that he can give the press so that have something write about.  If need be, he should talk to, say, Josh in advance and tell him that McD is going to use him as an example about something, so that Josh knows it's coming and knows that however the press spins it, it isn't intended as showing a lack of confidence in Josh.   

12 minutes ago, GG said:

True. 

The processing part takes years to master.  

• Like (+1) 2

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2019/11/13/20963118/sean-mcdermott-beginning-to-show-frustration-with-questions-about-buffalo-bills-offense-josh-allen

I think Coach McDermott got tired of the idiotic questions coming from reporters about the offense and he finally had enough and left the press conference early. The last dumb question(starting at 08:11) got McD irked.

https://13wham.com/buffalo-plus/buffalo-plus-videos/raw-sean-mcdermott-news-conference-on-wed-november-13-2019

2 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I agree.  

As I said to Gunner, I think a lot of these questions reflect bad reporting.   "Are you frustrated with the success of your offense?"   Come on, you actually need a quote from McDermott about that.   

I think a fair question is "you say player X needs to improve.  Can you give us an example of the kind of thing you do to get improvement?   And don't just say ' we have to continue to work.'"  Ask him tell us what kind of things coaches are doing, what are they looking at on film, what are they talking to the players about?   

McDermott, for his part, needs to be a little more forthcoming about things.   He needs to give the press something, and all of this "continue to work, continue to improve" stuff only goes so far.   At some point he has to say something.   He needs to prepare for the press conferences with some nuggets that he can give the press so that have something write about.  If need be, he should talk to, say, Josh in advance and tell him that McD is going to use him as an example about something, so that Josh knows it's coming and knows that however the press spins it, it isn't intended as showing a lack of confidence in Josh.   

Agreed. McDermott uses too much "Coach Speak."

I do respect that McDermott does not throw his players and coaches under the bus (so to speak).

25 minutes ago, Jerry Jabber said:

John Brown is a good WR, but IMO he's a #2 WR.

Correct. And he's on pace to have more receiving yards than any season of his career, about 200 yards more than his best season actually. Our offense also doesn't have a #2 receiver. We have a #2 playing as a #1 and a bunch of gadget/situational guys behind him.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, GG said:

And does this defense of Allen's play sound closer to that of EJ Manuel, JP Losman, Trent Edwards, Todd Collins, Vince Young, Kyle Boller or of Eli Manning, Ben Roethlisberger,  Mahomes, Watson, Wilson, Dak, etc?

I'd say Manning or Stafford. None of the other examples here are much use.