Underutilization of Flex scheduling

wagon127

I feel a good indicator about how the Flexible scheduling still favors larger markets, over a more exciting matchup is this week. The Texans and Ravens would clearly be a more fun game to watch. More explosive offenses and better Winning records. Yet we are stuck with Bears vs. Rams. The Texans and Ravens are on during 1:00. I know CBS can protect games, but they already would have protected the Patriots and Eagles.

So I highly doubt the Bills will ever get flexed into a Sunday night game. You would need a perfect storm of a downright terrible matchup on SNF, and the Bills having a good matchup against a large market team. The week 16 "flex" isn't really a flex. The game never had a time assigned to it, and there were 3 empty slots on Saturday for our game. In 2007, NBC didn't have any games assigned to their lineup until 2 weeks prior, and that's how the Bills vs. Patriots was able to be flexed so easily that year.

• Like (+1) 1

• wagon127 changed the title to Underutilization of Flex scheduling

Bears vs Rams was expected to be a very good game.  It still is not a terrible choice either.  LA was the home team, therefore it would have had to become a late game for CBS and they already had a good late game with NE-Phi.  In fact moving the Rams game ot late Sunday  would have likely diluted the viewership for the NE-Phi game as you'd have lost the LA and Chi market then.

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, wagon127 said:

I feel a good indicator about how the Flexible scheduling still favors larger markets, over a more exciting matchup is this week. The Texans and Ravens would clearly be a more fun game to watch. More explosive offenses and better Winning records. Yet we are stuck with Bears vs. Rams. The Texans and Ravens are on during 1:00. I know CBS can protect games, but they already would have protected the Patriots and Eagles.

So I highly doubt the Bills will ever get flexed into a Sunday night game. You would need a perfect storm of a downright terrible matchup on SNF, and the Bills having a good matchup against a large market team. The week 16 "flex" isn't really a flex. The game never had a time assigned to it, and there were 3 empty slots on Saturday for our game. In 2007, NBC didn't have any games assigned to their lineup until 2 weeks prior, and that's how the Bills vs. Patriots was able to be flexed so easily that year.

who really cares. The NFL has just as much of an obligation to the Networks that pay them Billions. 

also the entire flexing thing is stupid anyway. Set the schedule at start of year and go with it. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

7 hours ago, wagon127 said:

I just clicked on this thread to see what gif @HOUSEapplied re: flexing.

9 hours ago, wagon127 said:

heaven forbid they pick the likely highest viewed and not the highest upside 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

who really cares. The NFL has just as much of an obligation to the Networks that pay them Billions. 

also the entire flexing thing is stupid anyway. Set the schedule at start of year and go with it. 

NBC was given the ability to cherry pick the best game for prime time

totally screwing over the network that got stuck with several dogs in the preset MNF arrangement 

sweet deal that one....

If the Bills finish 9-7 or 10-6 I wonder if that would be enough to get them on SNF or TNF which I think are the more attractive prime time games over MNF since they are on NBC and FOX. This will be a discussion for the offseason but I definitely think the Bills get a MNF next year with a 9-7 or 10-6 record. After that I don't know.

I think it's possible our week 15 game against the Steelers could be flexed depending on where the Steelers are at that point. Right now they currently have Vikings at Chargers but the Chargers will more than likely be out of it by that point. The only two other games I can see them flexing that week are Seahawks vs Panthers or Bears at Packers. The Rams and Cowboys play that week but the Cowboys would have reached their 5 primetime game limit by then having already had 4 and I believe they still have a Thursday night game coming up after Thanksgiving. I don't see what market size has to do with it. It's the NFL, people are gonna watch. I watch every week regardless. I don't watch because the Cowboys are playing. 

3 hours ago, Greg S said:

If the Bills finish 9-7 or 10-6 I wonder if that would be enough to get them on SNF or TNF which I think are the more attractive prime time games over MNF since they are on NBC and FOX. This will be a discussion for the offseason but I definitely think the Bills get a MNF next year with a 9-7 or 10-6 record. After that I don't know.

doesn't every team get to torture us on TNF?