If you were building a roster, what positions would you prioritize?

10 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I still subscribe to the Polian model, with one exception: I’d put a higher priority on a franchise CB over a franchise RB, given the changes in the game in the last generation. I wouldn’t be surprised if Polian has also evolved. Anyway, his order of positional importance as he outlined in the early 90s:

QB - for obvious reasons; the most important position on the field

DE - to pressure the other team’s most important player

OT - to protect your own most important player

RB - to protect leads and control clock and take pressure of your most important player

WR - to provide a reliable “go to” option for your most important player

Substitute that franchise CB for the RB and I still agree with BP. 

And we should always understand that building a team is never a linear process. By that I mean you should never bypass bluechip talent at one position to satisfy a need at another by taking a less talented player, regardless of position.

Exactly. It isn’t “building a team wrong” if you take a star prospect DB over a middling edge prospect. 

Just now, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

I don't understand this comment. If the Bills had, for example, Justin Tucker on Sunday, they would be 7-2.

Please google recency bias and please stop.

Can we not do the "please stop" thing as if this is some kind of a bizarre contention? Great kickers make big kicks, which makes a difference toward wins and losses. It's hard to mask a bad kicker. I don't have a chance to do the research right now, but I'd wager if you looked back across the league this season, you'd see MANY outcomes that would have been different if a guy had made a kick or kicks.

Build from inside out.  What's in the trenches is the critical element.  No matter how good your offensive weapons may be, if they can't be protected your passing game will suffer immensely and your backs will continually run into stone walls (there are only so many Jim Browns around).  On defense you'll get destroyed time and again unless you can regularly stop the run and pressure the quarterback.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

I've been giving this some thought. If you were starting from scratch with a football team, where would you begin as GM? Would you go for a quarterback first? Build the lines and go from there? Load up on skill position players and hope for the best?

My initial thought is that I'd prioritize positions in this order:

OL
K/P
QB
DL
CB
WR
TE
RB
LB
S

I think a team with a dominant offensive line and kicking game can get a lot done in terms of ball control and dictating the pace of games, so that's why I would make sure I have those in place before I insert a young quarterback.

I could be widely panned as wrong in my thinking, but I'm curious as to what philosophies we have on the board in terms of positional importance. Ultimately, it's about Ws.

Long snapper, definitely long snapper! 

1 hour ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Obviously, I disagree. Another poster made the point that the Patriots have historically made it a point to have a great kicker. I think it's "criminally" underlooked. Kickers often have a greater impact on the outcome of games than any other single position, save quarterback, in my opinion.

The difference between a great kicker and a "whatever's left" kicker is probably 2 games per year, I would think.

Any analysis can find one data point.  Overall the question was how do you build a team.  That means how do you draft and allocate free agency spending.  So in your world you would take the best kicker and punter (2 positions by the way) before the best QB.  This is just wrong and no one would follow such a model.  Please show me one team built with a K or P ahead of QB.

2 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Can we not do the "please stop" thing as if this is some kind of a bizarre contention? Great kickers make big kicks, which makes a difference toward wins and losses. It's hard to mask a bad kicker. I don't have a chance to do the research right now, but I'd wager if you looked back across the league this season, you'd see MANY outcomes that would have been different if a guy had made a kick or kicks.

I said please stop, because ranking a kicker higher than a QB in positional importance is honestly the most asinine football take I have ever read. It’s so asinine that you can’t even be trolling, because that would be one of the worst troll attempts I’ve ever seen on this board. You are saying Adam Vinatieri was more important to the Colts success over the course of his career than Peyton was. Or Gostkowki has been more important than Brady. And your justification is, “the Bills missed a kick and lost a game.” 

And you even ranked it even with the punter which is even more bananas.

An average team with a good QB and an average kicker wins 100/100 times against an average team with an average QB and a good kicker. 

So, enough. Seriously.

Edited by BringBackOrton

5 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

I don't know. If you put Mahomes behind the worst line in football, with no skill position talent to speak of, would he really be successful?

He would still win 8 games. If you put the Marcus Mariota behind the best OL in football you wouldn’t win the same 8 games.

It’s QB by a lot. That is the only thing that you can’t scheme around. If your OL is weak you can keep an extra blocker, move the pocket, play from the gun, quick passes, etc... If your QB is weak he still has to get the ball every play and try to move the football. 

5 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

I don't know. If you put Mahomes behind the worst line in football, with no skill position talent to speak of, would he really be successful?

name the Brady Weapons over the years. Name the Bradys OL over the years. 

54 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

name the Brady Weapons over the years. Name the Bradys OL over the years. 

Gronkowski  - HOF tight end

Moss - HOF WR talent

Welker/Edelman - yes Brady made them better than they are but they got open, made great catches, were durable despite their size, and made yac

I agree they have been plug and play on OL for the most part. They have one of the best OL coaches in NFL. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

If you don't have an elite QB, your team is going nowhere. I don't really care about other positions if you don't have the elite QB. Yes, you have the odd SB winning team who got there by a crazy good defense and a lot of luck, but that's rare and no way to build a team.

Edited by FiftyPercent

5 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Gronkowski  - HOF tight end

Moss - HOF WR talent

Welker/Edelman - yes Brady made them better than they are but they got open, made great catches, were durable despite their size, and made yac

I agree they have been plug and play on OL for the most part. They have one of the best OL coaches in NFL. 

so in decades of player have

No OL named

1TE

a couple of decent WRs 

And a HOFer that was going to the HOF without his 3 years in NE

but as I said earlier

QB

Protection for QB

Rush the QB

Weapons for QB

Everything else. 

also Rushing the QB might actually be below weapons for the QB in today’s quick throw offenses 

Edited by MAJBobby

1 hour ago, Just Joshin' said:

Any analysis can find one data point.  Overall the question was how do you build a team.  That means how do you draft and allocate free agency spending.  So in your world you would take the best kicker and punter (2 positions by the way) before the best QB.  This is just wrong and no one would follow such a model.  Please show me one team built with a K or P ahead of QB.

I'll reply to you and @BringBackOrton at the same time. In my mind, kicker is just something I'd take care of right off the bat to make sure I got a great one. It's not that I think a kicker is more valuable than a quarterback. I would just start with a kicker because that at least gives me some baseline of competence. Admittedly, I realize that the nuances in my thinking might not be obvious. ☺