If you were building a roster, what positions would you prioritize?

16 hours ago, hjnick said:

ok, let's change it up a bit... if you are building a team and how you would want to allocate *greatness*

24 Players on the field (both sides of ball):

Offense:  QB, RB, LT, RT, OG, OG, C, WR1, TE, WR2, (your option)last spot could be FB, WR3, RB2, TE2 

Defense: DT1, DE1, DE2, MLB1, OLB1, OLB2, Safety1, Safety2, CB1, CB2, (your option 4/3 or 3/4 DEF)last spot DT2 or MLB2

Special Teams: K, P

Using the Bell Curve: Elite (1) / All Pro (2) / Solid Starter (3) / Below Avg Player (4) / Barely NFL Caliber (5) / Not Good (6) (The number is just so you can tell if someone is that level, not how many of each for that position).

Now, for Every Elite player you have, you have to match with Not Good, All Pro with Barely NFL and solid starter with Below avg player.

Example: remember adds up to 24: 2/3/7/7/3/2

For me:  Breakdown per position  2 / 3 / 7 / 7 / 3 / 2

QB   1

RB    4

LT    2

RT   3

OG    4

OG    5

C     3

WR1   2

WR2   3

*WR3    6

TE     4

K    4

P    4

4/3 DEF

DT1     3

*DT2    5

DE1      1

DE2      3

MLB1   3

OLB1    4

OLB2      5

Safety1    4

Safety2    6

CB1   2

CB2   3

This was interesting... My OLine is the best, but I have an elite QB that hopefully will make some good decisions with an All Pro WR.  And on defense I went with an elite DE to pressure the QB and an All pro CB to lock down other teams best WR.but my linebackers, safeties, and special teams suffered.

This is more in the way that good GM's and coaches think when assembling a team.  The numbers assigned to each position will be different based on the offense and defensive systems.  The one constant is if you can get a "1" at the QB position, you'll compete every year. You're likely fired if you don't get at least a "2" or "3" at the QB position you're fired as a coach and GM.

17 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

1. QB

2. LT

3. Pass rusher

4. #1 CB

5. #1 WR

6. C

But you always take the superior talent where possible.

You have it right but I would suggest your order is a bit off, though in spots 3-5 that doesn't matter so much.  Also, I wouldn't put C on the list.  

1: QB

2: 1WR

3: 1CB

4: Pass rusher

5: OT/RT protecting QB's weak side depending on his dominant arm

We have no #1 WR, no elite edge rusher to speak of (Hughes seems done), and a bottom 5-ish QB.

No one on the entire OL worth mentioning.

We do have a great #1 CB! 

That's 1 out of 5.

So what did we do first and foremost last year?  As I predicted these guys would do....draft a DT.

:lol:

18 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

I don't know. If you put Mahomes behind the worst line in football, with no skill position talent to speak of, would he really be successful?

you put the worst qb in football behind a good line and you’ll still be bad and he will make everyone else look much worse

I would build a team that is strong in the trenches, LT, DE, C, RT, DT. Without a good O-Line you have no way to develop or evaluate a young QB, even with top 5 talent at WR and RB. The rules in the NFL are tilted towards the offense so that is where 60% of my cap spending would go. My defense would consist of 2 good pass rushing DE's and two big DT's. The Big DT job would be to shrink the pocket while the DE's apply pressure on the outside. The goal of the whole machine is to score lots of points on offense and force the other teams offense into passing situations. If we had a young Bruce Smith on this team he would barely get over 120 sacks in his career. That Bills offense in the 90's forced teams to pass the ball and Bruce Smith feasted on the QB's in passing situations.