If you were building a roster, what positions would you prioritize?

4 minutes ago, T master said:

Well my answer would have been different if the OP would have said position but he said positions plural so that was my reason for my reply, but to reply to you if a QB is running for his life or on his back every play no matter if you are Brady or Manning it won't matter now maybe a Favre or Rogers maybe but a pocket passer is doomed if they have no line to protect them just my humble opinion ...

But that's just not true. Luck had terrible lines which caused him to retire due to injuries sustained because of them but he made the playoffs every year.

Put this old tired narrative to bed. And close the door on it so it can't come back out.

32 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Maybe its not as much a priority as people who don't know football think?

yes, coaches and GM insist it is a top priority whenever asked

I don’t really care enough to delve into the seven levels of deception during sports interviews 

19 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Kickers win games though.

Patriots have made it a top priority to have a great kicker for most of the Dynasty

Edited by row_33
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

ok, let's change it up a bit... if you are building a team and how you would want to allocate *greatness*

24 Players on the field (both sides of ball):

Offense:  QB, RB, LT, RT, OG, OG, C, WR1, TE, WR2, (your option)last spot could be FB, WR3, RB2, TE2 

Defense: DT1, DE1, DE2, MLB1, OLB1, OLB2, Safety1, Safety2, CB1, CB2, (your option 4/3 or 3/4 DEF)last spot DT2 or MLB2

Special Teams: K, P

Using the Bell Curve: Elite (1) / All Pro (2) / Solid Starter (3) / Below Avg Player (4) / Barely NFL Caliber (5) / Not Good (6) (The number is just so you can tell if someone is that level, not how many of each for that position).

Now, for Every Elite player you have, you have to match with Not Good, All Pro with Barely NFL and solid starter with Below avg player.

Example: remember adds up to 24: 2/3/7/7/3/2

For me:  Breakdown per position  2 / 3 / 7 / 7 / 3 / 2

QB   1

RB    4

LT    2

RT   3

OG    4

OG    5

C     3

WR1   2

WR2   3

*WR3    6

TE     4

K    4

P    4

4/3 DEF

DT1     3

*DT2    5

DE1      1

DE2      3

MLB1   3

OLB1    4

OLB2      5

Safety1    4

Safety2    6

CB1   2

CB2   3

This was interesting... My OLine is the best, but I have an elite QB that hopefully will make some good decisions with an All Pro WR.  And on defense I went with an elite DE to pressure the QB and an All pro CB to lock down other teams best WR.but my linebackers, safeties, and special teams suffered.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

I've been giving this some thought. If you were starting from scratch with a football team, where would you begin as GM? Would you go for a quarterback first? Build the lines and go from there? Load up on skill position players and hope for the best?

My initial thought is that I'd prioritize positions in this order:

OL
K/P
QB
DL
CB
WR
TE
RB
LB
S

I think a team with a dominant offensive line and kicking game can get a lot done in terms of ball control and dictating the pace of games, so that's why I would make sure I have those in place before I insert a young quarterback.

I could be widely panned as wrong in my thinking, but I'm curious as to what philosophies we have on the board in terms of positional importance. Ultimately, it's about Ws.

You have kicker and punter as your 2nd priority?

I still subscribe to the Polian model, with one exception: I’d put a higher priority on a franchise CB over a franchise RB, given the changes in the game in the last generation. I wouldn’t be surprised if Polian has also evolved. Anyway, his order of positional importance as he outlined in the early 90s:

QB - for obvious reasons; the most important position on the field

DE - to pressure the other team’s most important player

OT - to protect your own most important player

RB - to protect leads and control clock and take pressure of your most important player

WR - to provide a reliable “go to” option for your most important player

Substitute that franchise CB for the RB and I still agree with BP. 

And we should always understand that building a team is never a linear process. By that I mean you should never bypass bluechip talent at one position to satisfy a need at another by taking a less talented player, regardless of position.

Edited by K-9

20 minutes ago, Just Joshin' said:

I was wondering why it took so long for someone to call this out.

Makes the whole analysis suspect.

Obviously, I disagree. Another poster made the point that the Patriots have historically made it a point to have a great kicker. I think it's "criminally" underlooked. Kickers often have a greater impact on the outcome of games than any other single position, save quarterback, in my opinion.

The difference between a great kicker and a "whatever's left" kicker is probably 2 games per year, I would think.

Edited by Giuseppe Tognarelli