Some Allen/Offense Stats

Virgil

On 11/13/2019 at 10:32 AM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Lazy takes by Sullivan.

For Ty Dunne, want to know stats on 30+ air yard passes and 20+ air yard passes for other QBs before I get all bothered.

...huh?...I'm terribly confused....always thought the OBD "White Smoke" meant Jerry was the "Pope of Bills Football".....SMH....

On 11/13/2019 at 10:22 AM, BillsRdue said:

He designed an offense to play to his QB's strengths and now is doing it in Baltimore. 

No he didn't.   He ran his run first offense like he always has.  They just got a QB who could run too.   You are giving him credit where it isn't due.   Roman is the best run game coach  in the NFL.    But he didn't modify his offense in a way that best suited anybody.   He would run the same damn offense with Tom Brady as QB.   That, unfortunately, is his biggest drawback as a coach.

Taylor was at his peak. He was 25 or 26.  Sat behind a Superbowl MVP for 5 years.  Allen isnt 23 yet and is similar to the best Qb Buffalo had since Kelly mid way through year 2?  No Allen isnt Kelly.  If Taylor led 4th quarter comebacks or was tops in the league in Redzone TD efficiency Taylors still the Qb in Buffalo.  I get it losing to Cleveland hurt.  There is no way you watched the game Sunday and blame Allen for the loss.  No way.  The offense went conservative, Hauscka missed 2 FGs. 

6 hours ago, PolishDave said:

He would run the same damn offense with Tom Brady as QB.   That, unfortunately, is his biggest drawback as a coach.

This part I can't buy. I agree he is a great run game coach, but he uses running QB's as part of it, so it is part of his design. He's tearing it up in Baltimore and I think he'd do the same in Buffalo with our current group, much better than DaBoll.

A really nice, unbiased (though a bit more positive) review of Josh Allen vs Browns .. some good .. some bad. The missed deep ball to Isaiah in particular  thought was interesting as it looked like an overthrow, but Isaiah was just lost.

Edited by CorkScrewHill
  • Thank you (+1) 2

On 11/13/2019 at 4:45 PM, whatdrought said:

It means that on third and long we actually have a chance of picking up the first down with Allen. It happens regularly. The 3rd and 18 against Washington is example of that. Tyrod run offenses never accomplished that. 3rd and over 7 was always a punt coming. 

I dont that is a fact. Statistics don’t show the whole story. There have been games won by josh Allen this year and last that TT would not have won. He was better at not turning the ball over, but in a lot of situations he was gunshy about throwing the football. He rarely took chances and that incredibly limited his capacity. 

yep been a long time since I can remember when the bills where in a first in long to a third in long that I think the Bills have a chance at picking up the first.  So many QBS 3rd and 8...three yard pass more frustrating than throwing it 10 yards and missing

2 hours ago, CorkScrewHill said:

A really nice, unbiased (though a bit more positive) review of Josh Allen vs Browns .. some good .. some bad. The missed deep ball to Isaiah in particular  thought was interesting as it looked like an overthrow, but Isaiah was just lost.

more people need to watch these guys

On 11/13/2019 at 9:34 AM, Stank_Nasty said:

I mean.... he's completed ZERO of them.... do you really need any other qb's numbers for enough context to see that's pretty bad? I don't need to see other qb's stats there to be bothered by the fact that it seems allen cant hit the broad side of a barn from 30+..... and FTR i'm cool with allen.

To compare with other QBs, Let’s pair that with other meaningful stats like the number of drops or How about the # of catches in the careers of the people he is throwing to, or the catch % of those players, or the indoor versus outdoor of those throws,etc. 

i am not saying he shouldn’t be better. He defiantly must be. However,  I have been at games this year watching Zay Jones and Robert Foster both stop running and then later dove for passes where had they kept running through the ball, as taught in pop warner, they would have had TDs. Those guys shouldn’t even be on the field. That is part of the issue. The other part is clearly McD’s obsession with no turnovers which means Allen is now poorly conditioned for overthrows to avoid them at all costs. The reality is they should be working on lots of deep ball placement at least one full practice period per week but McD probably has them working on dump offs to the FB instead. Yes Daboll is the OC but he reports to McD. McD owns fixing it. If he was meant to be a defensive coach only he should be a DC and not a HC.  

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Locomark said:

To compare with other QBs, Let’s pair that with other meaningful stats like the number of drops or How about the # of catches in the careers of the people he is throwing to, or the catch % of those players, or the indoor versus outdoor of those throws,etc. 

i am not saying he shouldn’t be better. He defiantly must be. However,  I have been at games this year watching Zay Jones and Robert Foster both stop running and then later dove for passes where had they kept running through the ball, as taught in pop warner, they would have had TDs. Those guys shouldn’t even be on the field. That is part of the issue. The other part is clearly McD’s obsession with no turnovers which means Allen is now poorly conditioned for overthrows to avoid them at all costs. The reality is they should be working on lots of deep ball placement at least one full practice period per week but McD probably has them working on dump offs to the FB instead. Yes Daboll is the OC but he reports to McD. McD owns fixing it. If he was meant to be a defensive coach only he should be a DC and not a HC.  

you should watch that video on the McKenzie overthrow that was more on the WR than Josh but knee jerk reactions are easier than actually watching the all 22 film

1 minute ago, ILBillsfan said:

you should watch that video on the McKenzie overthrow that was more on the WR than Josh but knee jerk reactions are easier than actually watching the all 22 film

Saw it and agree. And Lofton called out Foster the other week during the broadcast on a deep post where he slowed down, and shouldn’t have which would have went for big yards. 

Edited by Locomark
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, CorkScrewHill said:

Thanks.  That was a great video.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Taylor padded his stats taking a 2 yard check down on 3rd and 15 He also played a ton better before McDermott took over  He would at least take chances along the boundaries for big plays in 1-1's  He never worked the middle of the field. His low int totals are directly linked to him not throwing the ball past the marker and into tight windows.  Some of the routine throws Allen makes Tyrod would never even try.  Looking at a qbr rating is not the same as watching the actual plays  A qb could take short checkdowns that dont have a chance at a first down and have a high qbr.  I dont know if Josh Allen will ever be a top qb but I do have my doubts if it can happen under Mcdermott.  It would help if they gave Josh a elite talent on offense to feed the ball to

• Like (+1) 1

On 11/13/2019 at 8:39 AM, Z-Mann said:

As Bills fans, we have something that no other fan has for Allen - faith.  Faith that he will be "the guy" and is capable of carrying the offense on his back when needed.

I agree with a lot of what you are pointing out. As to faith, one of the reasons we have faith is we have already seen Allen carry the offense when it is needed at the end of games. We know he is capable of this and he hasn't even finished his second full season yet. We have good reason to have faith in his abilities up to this point.

The other thing that makes us gravitate towards  Allen is how different he is from past Bills QB's. With the exception of Fitzpatrick all the other recent QB's were gun shy game manager types. Josh Allen is most definitely not that. And for better or worst this early in his development, that is a huge breath of fresh air for most of us fans. He's been so close to having a couple of ridiculously good highlight reel throws already in his young career. The one last year @ Miami that would have won the game. And then he had one earlier this year, can't remember against who, but it looked like a play Mahomes would have made, faking a run and then pulling up late to throw a pass to the end zone near the pylon. I think the defender broke it up. Both in-completions but I like the mindset that he plays with.

I do think absent all or most of his 4QC and GW drives most all of us would be quite a bit more salty on Allen than we currently are. But he stepped up in some big moments. Now we just need to see if Allen and the offense can put things together more consistently for 60 minutes so we can beat teams like the Bengals and Dolphins by 17-20 instead of with comebacks in the 4th quarter. 

3 hours ago, ILBillsfan said:

yeah that was very informative.  McKenzie looked twice outside over his right shoulder when definitely should have been looking only over his left inside shoulder.  That makes no sense at all why he would even do that.  Only way he should be doing that is if he is running towards sideline and he clearly wasn't.  Allen has had some poor throws on deep balls but I'm not sure the Bills receivers even know how to run a deep route either as there's been a few where they seem to stop running or looking the wrong way or just giving up on the play.  

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

This is a stat I have just seen.  Not sure if it's already been posted.  I apologize if so.

I posted the tweet 1 page back.  

no one else seemed to care much.  

Seems like posting bad stats gets more attention lol ? 

it also listed this

Josh Allen ranks second on this @ESPN quarterbacks list: http://bufbills.co/ESFyO8

Edited by SlimShady'sGhost
  • Like (+1) 2

On 11/13/2019 at 10:22 AM, BillsRdue said:

The truly sad part is that Roman had Tyrod playing his best football. He designed an offense to play to his QB's strengths and now is doing it in Baltimore. We fire him while Rex ruins a great Schwartz defense.  McD comes in and blows up the offense, while hiring an OC that plays to the QB's weaknesses.  I have no doubt Josh could be doing what Lamar is doing and more in the right offense.

This conservative ball coddling, sack of sh*t offense is holding everyone else down. Don't tell me Baltimore has more playmakers on offense than us. It's a wash. It's just this horrible offensive "wannabe-a-patriot" bulls*t that's screwing up what could be a great season.  TBD posters are right!  Unleash the F'Kin Kracken!

I agree!!!  Unleash that F’en Kracken and let’s destroy the whole lot of ‘em.   

Ive been screaming this at the TV all season

• Like (+1) 1

On 11/13/2019 at 10:49 AM, The Frankish Reich said:

Mr Silver Lining sez: I guess the good news is that Allen’s overall mediocre performance shows that he’s become quite an efficient short/medium range passer. Remember the knock on him was he’d air it out on the run and complete ridiculous passes way down field but then wildly miss on short passes and dinks and dunks ...

Daboll is creating a mobile Trent Edwards! (Maybe that’s not such a bad thing?)

OR 

Josh Allen has spent the entire off-season AND pre-season working solely on the shorter, intermediate throws and has not developed any timing on deep routes with his new receivers...