Some Allen/Offense Stats

Virgil

9 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Do with these what you will

Roman was paired with Ryan - that one is so easy to explain and shouldn't even be mentioned.

A second year QB after 20 starts is already as efficient as 7 year veteran Ball Joint Taylor.  Shocking.

Edited by Azucho98
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Azucho98 said:

Roman was paired with Ryan - that one is so easy to explain and shouldn't even be mentioned.

A second year QB after 20 starts is already as efficient as 7 year veteran Ball Joint Taylor.  Shocking.

Sour Jerry is  just stirring the pot. I can feel his smug grin upon realizing the stat line through the text. Nothing to see here. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Azucho98 said:

We're counting Tyrod's time in Baltimore as a bench warmer as experience I guess? Tyrod has started 46 games in his career. 

The point is we ran Tyrod out of town for playing QB the way Allen has been playing. Allen has much more potential than Tyrod, but he has to start living up to it at some point. 

• Like (+1) 9

7 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

We're counting Tyrod's time in Baltimore as a bench warmer as experience I guess? Tyrod has started 46 games in his career. 

The point is we ran Tyrod out of town for playing QB the way Allen has been playing. Allen has much more potential than Tyrod, but he has to start living up to it at some point. 

The truly sad part is that Roman had Tyrod playing his best football. He designed an offense to play to his QB's strengths and now is doing it in Baltimore. We fire him while Rex ruins a great Schwartz defense.  McD comes in and blows up the offense, while hiring an OC that plays to the QB's weaknesses.  I have no doubt Josh could be doing what Lamar is doing and more in the right offense.

This conservative ball coddling, sack of sh*t offense is holding everyone else down. Don't tell me Baltimore has more playmakers on offense than us. It's a wash. It's just this horrible offensive "wannabe-a-patriot" bulls*t that's screwing up what could be a great season.  TBD posters are right!  Unleash the F'Kin Kracken!

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Lazy takes by Sullivan.

For Ty Dunne, want to know stats on 30+ air yard passes and 20+ air yard passes for other QBs before I get all bothered.

I mean.... he's completed ZERO of them.... do you really need any other qb's numbers for enough context to see that's pretty bad? I don't need to see other qb's stats there to be bothered by the fact that it seems allen cant hit the broad side of a barn from 30+..... and FTR i'm cool with allen.

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

26 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

I think this point has been addressed elsewhere.  Lazy take.

The Bills moved on from Tyrod Taylor because he demonstrated by his lower stats in year 3 that he was not able to run the type of offense McDermott and Beane want to run.

He had 3 years as a starter and they felt he had plateaued or regressed.

Allen is progressing at this point, regardless of how Sullivan lumps stats to try to make it look not so.  If, after 3 years, they believe he has plateaued and can to become what they want, they will move on from him too.  But he's a 1st round pick.  He will get 3 years.

3 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

I mean.... he's completed ZERO of them.... do you really need any other qb's numbers for enough context to see that's pretty bad? I don't need to see other qb's stats there to be bothered by the fact that it seems allen cant hit the broad side of a barn from 30+..... and FTR i'm cool with allen.

Well, yes.  For example, if other QBs complete 70% of those passes, it's obviously pretty bad.  If other QBs complete 10-30% of those passes, and we aren't making many of them to start with, then I want to know more, like who is catching them, before I get too concerned.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think this point has been addressed elsewhere.  Lazy take.

The Bills moved on from Tyrod Taylor because he demonstrated by his lower stats in year 3 that he was not able to run the type of offense McDermott and Beane want to run.

He had 3 years as a starter and they felt he had plateaued or regressed.

Allen is progressing at this point, regardless of how Sullivan lumps stats to try to make it look not so.  If, after 3 years, they believe he has plateaued and can to become what they want, they will move on from him too.  But he's a 1st round pick.  He will get 3 years.

Well, yes.  For example, if other QBs complete 70% of those passes, it's obviously pretty bad.  If other QBs complete 10-30% of those passes, and we aren't making many of them to start with, then I want to know more, like who is catching them, before I get too concerned.

i'm sure you've watched every game.... and with that being said if you cant see an issue then i'm at a loss. take the stats out of the equation and look at the passes he's missed. its a problem. hopefully it gets fixed, because i'm ready to honker down with the guy for the long haul..... but anyone with eyeballs can see its been an issue.

this feels like somebody being difficult for the sake of it.

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Like (+1) 3

Mr Silver Lining sez: I guess the good news is that Allen’s overall mediocre performance shows that he’s become quite an efficient short/medium range passer. Remember the knock on him was he’d air it out on the run and complete ridiculous passes way down field but then wildly miss on short passes and dinks and dunks ...

Daboll is creating a mobile Trent Edwards! (Maybe that’s not such a bad thing?)

14 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

i'm sure you've watched every game.... and with that being said if you cant see an issue then i'm at a loss. take the stats out of the equation and look at the passes he's missed. its a problem. hopefully it gets fixed, because i'm ready to honker down with the guy for the long haul..... but anyone with eyeballs can see its been an issue.

this feels like somebody being difficult for the sake of it.

You're entitled to your opinion.  I watch other games, and I see plenty of overthrows and missed long passes from other QBs.   I haven't drilled into the stats.  If you want to see that as "somebody being difficult for the sake of it" you're entitled to your view I guess.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

As others have noted it seems that through his first 20 games as a rookie, project QB, Allen is matching the numbers Tyrod put up as a VETERAN QB in his last 20 starts with Buffalo.  This seems to demonstrates that moving from Tyrod to Allen was absolutely a great move by the Bills.

And as others have suggested Sullivan is just trying to start crap here but is to stupid to realize that he has reinforced the decision to move on from Tyrod.  Because we all can agree that Allen needs to improve his game.

Maybe Sullivan, in his capacity as a "professional" sports writer, might want to comment on the offensive line that Tyrod had in his last 20 starts compared to the one that Allen has had - particularly the O line Allen had in 2018?

Or maybe Sullivan can comment on the RB's (healthy McCoy), TE's and WR's that Tyrod had compared to Allen's over his first 20 starts.

Seems that these are important aspects of the point that Sullivan is trying to make.  So is Sullivan simply lazy or does he have an agenda to grind?

Edited by CincyBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, Boca BIlls said:

We are seeing what you will see from Josh. I thought he would get better but he obviously still cannot read plays and make good decisions. 

That's actually not obvious (to me) from watching the film of last Sunday's game and from reading some of the all-22 analyses.  He made some excellent reads and correct decisions.  He had some drops and some contested catches that were makeable, but not made.  Some of the decisions he's catching heat for were not bad decisions and some of the "off target" throws upon careful review can be seen to be deflections.  In some cases, he could have thrown with more arc but then different issues arise.

He also did make some bad decisions.  He's a work in progress.  We knew that when we drafted him.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2