The Buffalo Bills Class of 2019 Mid Year Report Card

5 minutes ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

lol dude you need to let this go and just zen out for a bit

For me, it entirely depends: 

On one hand, if you look at him like the number nine overall, he’s been extremely disappointing. You want a guy like that to immediately come in and wreak havoc, or at least show up on the stat sheet. He’s played a limited roll in an average run defense and has not been able to manufacturer pressures. To this respect, I’d give him a D+

If you look at it without the context of the draft status, and just say he is a rookie, you’d likely give him a higher grade, maybe a C+. 

your endless crusade to demafe the name of Ed is not lost on me. It has some substance to it, but I’m trying to take a more wholistic approach in my evaluation. Let’s wait until the season ends, and then this discussion can continue

Fair enough

20 hours ago, Mr. Wonderful said:

Looks to be an average draft class at best for Beane and Co.  Ford has been disappointing especially since Beane desperately wanted and moved up to get him.  

I agree.  They seem to hit on the lower picks and fail on the higher ones.  My guess is that that outcome stems from McDermott/Beane always trading up to chase projects in the first two rounds, and none of them have worked out as well as expected.  Zay Jones was a bust.  Dion Dawkins is a JAG OT.  Allen was easily the most flawed QB prospect taken in the first round, and his improvement has been modest.  Edmunds has improved somewhat but he's maybe an average MLB.  To put it plainly, Ford has struggled. 

Maybe McDermott and Beane should stop trying to fit square pegs into round holes.  Just because you need help at a particular position doesn't mean that you can find the answer to that personnel issue in a particular draft.  In the specialized world of the modern NFL, each position has its own specific skill set.  Part of the problem with both Dawkins and Ford is that they both were projected to be OGs in the pros although they played OT in college.  Moving collegiate OTs to OG when they come into the NFL is a very common practice since most colleges just play their best OLers at OT.   As for Edmunds, he doesn't appear to have the natural instincts needed by a good/great MLB, but he might make a great OLB.  

In view of the success the Ravens have had by retooling their offense to take advantage of Lamar Jackson's  skill set, maybe the Bills should reconsider trying to turn Allen into a game manager QB.   It reminds me of Bills HC John Rauch trying to turn OJ Simpson into a pass catcher out of the backfield and making Simpson look like a bust.  Thankfully, Lou Saban wasn't as stupid.

Edited by SoTier