Joe B All-22 Bills at Browns - Allen sees ghosts/White and Safeties shine

YoloinOhio

I think Allen deserves some slack. The Browns blitzed a lot and his Ford and Dawkins weren't holding up very well. That's hard on any QB, much less a second-year player. "Guys were getting open" doesn't mean much when he has to decide where to go before they do get open. I think Cover 1 pointed out that his hot reads might have been too slow developing; if so, that's on Daboll. Also, he's not getting any credit for scoring two TDs on his own, nor for his scrambles. His receivers aren't helping him much. Knox and Brown both dropped passes (again), and McKenzie, not Allen, might not have been at fault for that missed long pass. And the play calling. I don't think it's as bad as others have said, but let's say it wasn't brilliant. 

I'm not making excuses for him, just providing balance to the legitimate criticisms he's receiving. Someone pointed out that Bills fans are jealous of Lamar Jackson and it's affecting their judgment of Allen, and I think that's right. People forget he's a development project, not a win-now guy like Jackson and, supposedly, Mayfield. Jim Kelly had two years in the USFL before he joined the Bills, and while he was arguably better than Allen is now, he wasn't Lamar Jackson or Dan Marino in 1986. He needed time, and so does Allen. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Gray Beard said:

A comment that the announcers made was that Allen doesn’t throw with anticipation. Instead he waits for the guy to be open then throws a bullet. 

I think that’s an accurate assessment, and it’s hard to catch a bullet. 

He can, and he has. He doesn’t do it consistently at this point. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

My favorite Allen mishap ? Dimarco literally pointing to a wide open Knox

IMG_20191113_080504.jpg

I love these type of pictures. It shows that there are often players wide open but the QB has to anticipate it beforehand. At other times either play design or the defensive match up has every receiver blanketed at which time the offensive play design needs to ALWAYS have a check down option. The problem with the Bills 2019 offense is that neither is happening regularly enough to sustain long drives. Is it scheme? Is it execution?

20 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

IMG_20191113_080504.jpg

Bahahah I saw that too and texted my buddy about it during the game.  

Know went from wide freaking open to tightly covered because the pass was late and didn't lead him to open space. 

Didn't Knox end up dropping the pass?  He also had the drop along the sideline early in the game on third down.  I think he had another too.  

Hard to believe he's a top 5 performer with those critical drops in there.  

Just now, peterpan said:

Bahahah I saw that too and texted my buddy about it during the game.  

Know went from wide freaking open to tightly covered because the pass was late and didn't lead him to open space. 

Didn't Knox end up dropping the pass?  He also had the drop along the sideline early in the game on third down.  I think he had another too.  

Hard to believe he's a top 5 performer with those critical drops in there.  

I believe Knox dropped that pass, but it was extremely late . There is no reason Allen shouldn't have let the ball rip there. It's as  EASY a 6 points you'll get in this league. For the first time since coming back from the injury last year, I'm worried about Allen. I'm seeing too many red flags on a consistent basis with him

19 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

I believe Knox dropped that pass, but it was extremely late . There is no reason Allen shouldn't have let the ball rip there. It's as  EASY a 6 points you'll get in this league. For the first time since coming back from the injury last year, I'm worried about Allen. I'm seeing too many red flags on a consistent basis with him

Same here, although I continue to think he's not being put in the best situation given the lack of playmakers.

That said, his problems all stem from slow processing speed, which was an issue in college and is a hard thing to correct as a pro.  His accuracy issues result from poor mechanics which result from delayed processing - he has less time to set his base, because it takes him too long to recognize where to throw it.  He's just not reading defenses well enough or quickly enough and it's troubling that it's still going on after 20 games.  Should he get another 20 games?  Absolutely.  But as I've said, in the meantime I'd draft or sign a developmental guy, someone with lesser tools but faster processing speed (a Minshew/Kyle Allen type).

• Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

IMG_20191113_080504.jpg

He did still end up hitting him in the hands though. I dont see the uproar about him rolling out as some speculate to find a lane and Dawkins was losing his block AGAIN.  But he could have led Knox couple yards more to the right or to the back of the EZ.  

My take: right read but late because he moved outside of the pocket (he started progression to his left btw) and inaccurate throw, that still should have been caught. 

If Allen was seeing ghosts, one of them must have been Dawkins’ invisible blocking on Garrett.  Surprised he didn’t grade in the bottom 5 too.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I agree Allen needs a elite weapon but guys were getting open vs the Browns and Allen just couldn't deliver. We really should've had that Browns game, so many missed opportunities and dumb decision making cost us a valuable win. 

True, but he did have that beast Garrett blowing up our line quite a bit as well. That was definitely shaking Allen up too. He was panicking a bit because of it. Which is fair for a guy who's only got 20 or so starts under his belt.

1 minute ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

He did still end up hitting him in the hands though. I dont see the uproar about him rolling out as some speculate to find a lane and Dawkins was losing his block AGAIN.  But he could have led Knox couple yards more to the right or to the back of the EZ.  

My take: right read but late because he moved outside of the pocket (he started progression to his left btw) and inaccurate throw, that still should have been caught. 

If Allen was seeing ghosts, one of them must have been Dawkins’ invisible blocking on Garrett.  Surprised he didn’t grade in the bottom 5 too.  

It wasn’t good though. I think he got a C.  Tough assignment but still. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

He doesn’t make much for a starting DE. But still shouldn’t be playing so many snaps. I don’t think that at all about Shaq. That would make no sense because he’s clearly not a priority for them to re-sign to the point they would do something like that.  

Lee Smith was the 6th worst

I really wish we had a better starting DE tandem. Like Hughes was making $9 mil and then a stud pass rushing end making $15-$18mil. Not banging on Hughes, he plays sound football but his days of disrupting a game seem behind him. Murphy should be a rotational guy getting a ton fewer snaps. 

6 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

I really wish we had a better starting DE tandem. Like Hughes was making $9 mil and then a stud pass rushing end making $15-$18mil. Not banging on Hughes, he plays sound football but his days of disrupting a game seem behind him. Murphy should be a rotational guy getting a ton fewer snaps. 

For sure. I believe it will be the top offseason priority 

13 hours ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

Another All-22 brought to you by a guy with no actual football knowledge. I look forward to the other beat writers, who will have dramatically different takes on the same film. 

You're funny.  What exactly makes you think he has no football knowledge?  He is actually spot on most of the time.  Which narrative do you subscribe to?  Do tell.  It appears that many on this board are so full of ***** and want to B word and don't provide any substance or argument.  Just saying someone sucks and not offering any alternative does nothing for the board but prove you area blockhead!

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Hughes has always been almost elite. Love the guys tenacity.  If Devin is motor, jerry should be jet engine. He’s always chasing plays downfield working hard around the ball. Hes just a fraction short on some or other measurable to be tops.

Solid player. If he was the worst of the front 4 no QB would want the bills d.  

3 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Murphy is not living up to his price tag. Do you think the Bills would limit Lawson’s snaps so his stats don’t grow and impact resigning?

That is quite the conspiracy theory.  If that were to happen, that would be ***** and I wouldn't believe a thing that comes out from the GM/Coach about putting the best players out there.

I just read the article.  Seems fair enough, for an amateur.

I will always repeat what Kyle Williams said when he was told people are reviewing the All-22 and grading him.   He essentially said it's ridiculous.   He asked how someone who doesn't know what his assignment was can evaluate how he performed.   

So when Buscaglia goes after Trent Murphy, I just remember what Kyle said.   Everyone was going after Lotulelei a week or two ago, until the team and coaches finally came to his defense said he's doing exactly what he was brought in to do.  It's nice that Joe B is grading every player, but the only grades that matter are the ones that the Bills coaches are giving to players.  I'd like the link to that website.  

I think that comment applies to every position, but a little less so to the skill position players, because we can see what they're doing.   So, for example, I think what he says about Allen is pretty good.   He's critical of several aspects of Allen's play, but it's clear that Buscaglia isn't saying Allen is a failure - he's just saying that Allen needs to improve or he will fail.  I think that's true.  And I agree with Joe B that Allen is showing that he can do all of the things that he needs to do - he's shown that he can throw with anticipation, he's shown that he can manage the pocket, he's shown that he can scramble and throw on the run, he's shown it all.  But he's also showing that he can't do it consistently yet, and that's what's missing.   He's making the right decisions some of the time, he's making decisions quickly some of the time, he's making quality throws some of the time.   He needs to do all of that more consistently.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

28 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

That is quite the conspiracy theory.  If that were to happen, that would be ***** and I wouldn't believe a thing that comes out from the GM/Coach about putting the best players out there.

I hear ya, it was an honest question to spark some chatter. 
I must admit I am not sure how Lawson stacks up against Murphy in the stat category or when you watch the all 22 tape. With my eyes it appears Murphy is making tackles yards down the field and able to get crashed down on outside runs. On the contrary I see Lawson more stout on run defense.