Offensive Talent

elijah

2 hours ago, colin said:

what is super ironic is D's in the nfl tend to be built to stop the pass, so baltimore has a qb who is simply not a good passer, but they just throw over the top and run all over the place and it is producing hard.  

How is Lamar Jackson not a good passer?  15 TDs 5 picks 2036 passing yards and a 101.7 rating 65.9 comp %. Just because he can run doesn't mean he can't pass.   I wish we had a QB that was that bad at passing.

we have practice squad players/kick returners out there running routes for us

our talent level on offense is a joke. Beane's whole OL experiment last offseason failed miserably. he thought Brown and Beasley were the only two playmakers good enough to sign, despite our massive cap space. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Tesla03 said:

we have practice squad players/kick returners out there running routes for us

our talent level on offense is a joke. Beane's whole OL experiment last offseason failed miserably. he thought Brown and Beasley were the only two playmakers good enough to sign, despite our massive cap space. 

Look at what other teams do for WR.  The Falcons traded mulitple picks to get Julio Jones.  Last year they traded back into the first round to get Calvin Ridley.  AND they have a good QB.

The Cheats** sign new top notch guys every year to improve their corps and they got Tommy.  the Hawks drafted Metcalf in first round and they have RW. 

Chris collinsworth says your WR groups is only as good as your third guy.  For us that's Duke if active or Foster or somebody.

NOT GOOD ENOUGH.  Especially when you're trying to develop a raw QB.

THE PROCESS is failing in regards to offensive talent.

• Thank you (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

This is a joke right ?    Mark Andrews would be our best player 

Yeah he would fit right in on this crew, lol.

Anyway, he had 550 yards last year with Flacco/Jackson.  Now, with Jackson, he's a better player.   I'm guessing the same would be true with Jackson and, say, Knox (except the Bills OC doesn't function with TEs).

2 hours ago, Teddy KGB said:

This is a joke right ?    Mark Andrews would be our best player 

And Hollywood Brown is the team leader with 4 rec/gm for 65 yds/gm (he was out 3 games). He and Andrews lead the team with 4 and 5 TDs. I would kill to have those 2 on the Bills.

Edited by D. L. Hot-Flamethrower
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Maybe just Maybe Spend your assets on Offensive Talent????

In 2019 we added nine new starters on offense and a few other role players.  It's not like they have ignored that side of the ball.  In fact, it's quite the opposite.  I put a (T) next to the ones I see as "Talent".  The others are mostly upgrades from last year.  In 2020 we have $90M in cap space.  I'd expect an elite player to be added to the offense and another on defense (AJ Green/Ngakoue) types.  They tried and luckily failed to get Antonio Brown this year.  What more should they have done?  Keep McCoy?  Trade first round picks for AJ Green, Diggs or Gordon?  Trade a second round pick for Sanu?

• Ford
  • Singletary (T) - ? (we actually won't know until they play him more....)
  • Knox
  • Beasley (T)
  • Brown (T)
  • Kroft
  • Feliciano (T)
  • Morse (T)
  • Spain (T)
  • Nsekhe
Edited by Rock'em Sock'em

They desperately need a big talented wr who can get open and win the contested catches. Beasley and Brown are average to pretty good NFL receivers, but they are Smurfs. 

If they wanted help for this year they should have taken a chance on Gordon imo. Hawks got him for 1 million and he made 2 clutch 3rd down receptions to help them win his first game. 

3 hours ago, mjt328 said:

I don't think the main problem is a lack of talent.

The offense has shown the ability to march 10+ plays, 70-80 yards and score touchdowns. 

It just happens 2-3 times a week, and then we have multiple drives killed by stupid mistakes.

I get where you are coming from.........it makes sense to think that it's not the talent because they are getting some long drives........but I still think it's talent.

IMO what we are seeing in the long drives is Daboll is calling a lot of well designed plays that are creating opportunities.................and when they are executing they are moving the ball.

But the style is just proving very hard to pull off.   

It's a complicated offense/gameplan every week and subsequently too much room for errors to be made and between the mistakes and the constant search for the next gotcha' play on the sheet they can't get a rhythm going.   Rhythm and tempo are very underrated aspects in good offense........especially for a young QB. 

And ultimately I think it comes down to Daboll and McD feeling like they gotta' play it this way because they lack natural matchup advantages to just line up and run a small group of plays over and over.   

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

We have one of the worst group of skill players in the league. We have a young, raw QB and McBeane has done him no favors with the environment they've created for a QB here. Does anybody really believe Lamar Jackson would be doing as well here? I sure as hell don't. 

Wouldn't bet on that.

We literally do not have a tight end.  Our tight end group isn't just the worst in the league it may be the worst ever fielded.  

Lee smith.  No threat on offense and a penalty machine.  

Kroft.  Injury magnet that hasn't done anything in the NFL 

Knox.  Project at best with below average hands. 

Sweeney.  Sucks. 

Add a tight end to this team and we are much better.  

1 hour ago, Rock'em Sock'em said:

What more should they have done?  Keep McCoy?  Trade first round picks for AJ Green, Diggs or Gordon?  Trade a second round pick for Sanu?

How about acquiring Emmanuel Sanders ? Why did they not do it ? Shortly after the last day of trades, McDermott said "...There have been way too many years of irresponsible decision making, let's just put it that way.". It is ironic that he takes a swipe at past GMs while ignoring the fact that Beane is doing exactly that. By a stubborn attitude towards "the process" they have passed by opportunities numerous times to make this team better in a shorter time frame.  Is it any wonder that we are sitting here as fans of a 6-3 team, wondering if its all a mirage and that the bottom will fall out any time ? Plenty of blame to go around on O but dont tell me that there werent less expensive options than the ones you listed. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, elijah said:

You see it around the league, teams hit walls and then suddenly turn it on, whether it be offensively, defensively, or as a team.  Teams that were struggling suddenly start to click and get going. 

My question for you is, do you think this team has the talent to do that offensively? Could we see an offense that catches fire and still wins 5 or 6 games on the way out? 

For the optimist, it seems that week by week Josh is getting one step closer to completing that deep ball.  While not in a straight line, Singletary’s involvement is trending upwards and his productivity is staying relatively similar.  Foster finally had his first catch this past week which might open up another target in the intermediate game, which happens to be Josh’s best level of the field.  Brown stays consistent.  Josh and Beasley seemed to take a step in the right direction this past week, and the McKenzie jet sweep proved it can be a real element of the offense against the Redskins.  The offensive line has been clicking and getting better on a weekly basis.  It seems just a few things need to happen for the offense to start getting hot. 

For the pessimists, Josh hasn’t connected on a deep ball yet and took a massive step backwards in terms of accuracy this past weekend.  He hasn’t been the same big play threat since New England absolutely destroyed him.  Where is Singletary?  He got more involved finally against Washington and then Daboll abandons him against the 30th ranked run defense in Cleveland.  The playcalling isn’t favorable even amongst the optimistic fans.  Knox plays solid but has had a really rough set of hands ever since his big catch against Cincinnati.  Kroft????  The offense has talent, but if they want to be a New England style identityless offense, which seems to be the goal, they still need another receiver, another tight end since Kroft is invisible, and they’re going to need another RB in place of Gore next off-season likely.  

What say you, is the talent there, can the offense start clicking?  Or are we doomed for this season, we are what we are, and waiting for the off-season in terms of offensive improvement? 

there’s a lot of sheer talent.

you are counting on a lot of inconsistent pieces becoming consistently their best versions at the same time though.

12 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

That quote will be heavily criticized if this team flounders to an 8-8 or so finish.... or perhaps we will give McDermott credit if he gets this team to 10-6 and a WC for holding firm. 

Still, this team couldn't have used a Gordon or Clowney with the assets they have available? Those are extremely low risk high reward acquisitions. 

The rest of this season will be interesting for sure as we had a soft schedule and started off well enough to be a shoo-in for a playoff spot. Yet, The ghost of the 2011 season is always around to remind us how not to be taken in by a hot start. 

To your second point, Gordon would have been a huge risk given his off-field track record. Clowney would have helped but we need more help around the middle of the D. 

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

Huge risk? They could've just signed him off waivers for nothing and if he ***** up he's gone. Where the risk? 

Clowney would've provided a hell of a lot more to this defense than a Trent Murphy does. 

What is Clowney's reputation like? McBeane must not have liked the locker room risk.

7 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

This message board is so much fun when the team loses. 

Shame the season is over at 6-3.

It's not over, but there are problems in all three phases, largest problems being on offense.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Your last paragraph is their own fault.... this is just how they wanted it

This is my concern with Beane. After arriving he jettisoned Sammy and didn't sign Woods (may be he couldn't, don't know).  He then subsequently cleaned house further.

It has now been 2 FA periods and 2 drafts and this is the best he can do replenish a pretty talented roster that was top 10 in points 2 years running?  McDermott even had a draft before that. The only WR drafted has been Ray Ray in the 5th round.  After 2 years they had only two starters worth keeping.  Disturbing.

This year will be the offensive year.  Where have I heard that before?

Singletary, Brown, and Beasley are a nice start 3 years in.  Josh remains to be seen. After 3 years I would think we should be further along.

Edited by reddogblitz

1 minute ago, reddogblitz said:

This year will be the offensive year.  Where have I heard that before?

I'm dreading trading up for offensive players. 

We will draft a probable bum and those 4th, 5th, 6ths WRs will end up being solid.

1 minute ago, OZBILLS said:

I'm dreading trading up for offensive players. 

We will draft a probable bum and those 4th, 5th, 6ths WRs will end up being solid.

Every draft since Coach McDermott arrived we have taken a defensive player in the first round.  I suspect we will again until proven otherwise.