Offensive Talent

elijah

43 minutes ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

We have one of the worst group of skill players in the league. We have a young, raw QB and McBeane has done him no favors with the environment they've created for a QB here. Does anybody really believe Lamar Jackson would be doing as well here? I sure as hell don't. 

Jackson isn't exactly surrounded by Offensive stars.   Ingram is still pretty decent.  But they will struggle to have a single receiver over 1000 yards this year.  Marquise Brown?  Mark Andrews?

Come on....

John Brown and Beasley are having solid seasons playing higher on the depth chart then they should be. But after those two the rest of our WR core is a joke. And the coaches know this because every week it’s a decision on who is inactive between Foster, McKenzie and Williams. Roberts is lucky he returns punts or he’d be in the mix also. 

Everyone on this board thought Beasley would come here and be our Edelman. If he was anywhere near as good as Edelman he’d still be in Dallas. He’s a #3 WR on almost every team in the NFL except Buffalo. 

John Brown is on his 3rd team in 3 years, that doesn’t happen to #1 WRs in the NFL. Stevie Johnson had a solid career here playing the same roll. He’s the top guy because we don’t have any other options at this point. That’s a management problem. 

This is an upgrade over last years crop but it’s still lacking. I like John Brown and Beasley a lot but in my opinion the Bills to have to go get a real #1. 

Josh has to start improving also. Offense is relying on it.

Edited by BananaB

33 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Maybe just Maybe Spend your assets on Offensive Talent????

Nah they wont do that need to add more to the HC Defense

...NEXT QUESTION: if, IF we do, are you comfortable with the current OC coaching and guiding your new talent?......plenty of fingers being pointed at the WR corp....I'm reading "best WR class in years" here.....if so, is Daboll YOUR guy?.....

27 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

There is is Already calling for more assets in a position that they drafted into three times, signed two UFAs into.  And still an issue 

If only ANYONE had seen that drafting a small DT from a small-time college program would be a problem.

That guy would have been a visionary.

2 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...NEXT QUESTION: if, IF we do, are you comfortable with the current OC coaching and guiding your new talent?......plenty of fingers being pointed at the WR corp....I'm reading "best WR class in years" here.....if so, is Daboll YOUR guy?.....

No I already am on record for Bills Hiring an senior Offensive Guru to find the Next OC 

Well if we had a kicker who wasn't slumping we'd be 7-2 and be in the top 6 in the league right now.

Last year final four in this league were NE, Rams, Saints and KC.   All of them lost their last game, as did Indy. 

Some of them lost to crappy teams too.     Some with established franchise QB's, a few hall of famers even.   

Head coaches Andy Reid, Belichick, Payton, McVay, Reich.  All lost.   Some of them have lost multiple games in row and are sitting in far worse spots than we are heading to Miami as 6 point favorites and then back home vs Denver where we'll be heavy favorites again.

To answer the OP, is the talent there?   Sure it is.  Is the coaching good enough?  Yeah, but they're learning too.   Should we expect more from a young qb on an offense with one guy returning from last year?  Maybe, but we move the ball OK, just not dynamic yet. 

Didn't really expect to score tons of points this year, I was just hoping we'd be a little more fun.  Josh is like an overtrained dog right now, he doesn't want to make a mistake and get the shock collar so he's a little more timid and hesitant to trust his instincts.   Personally I think a long throw on 3rd down is the same as a punt if it gets picked off.   I'd open it up more, lose the designed QB runs, stop the empty sets and get this kid developing chem with Singletary on checkdowns/screens, pass protection, whatever.   They both need to learn it together.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Da webster guy said:

Didn't really expect to score tons of points this year, I was just hoping we'd be a little more fun.  Josh is like an overtrained dog right now, he doesn't want to make a mistake and get the shock collar so he's a little more timid and hesitant to trust his instincts.   Personally I think a long throw on 3rd down is the same as a punt if it gets picked off.   I'd open it up more, lose the designed QB runs, stop the empty sets and get this kid developing chem with Singletary on checkdowns/screens, pass protection, whatever.   They both need to learn it together.

^^^^^correct^^^^^

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I think Brown and Bease fit in nicely here....we need one more quality guy

Beasley is a nice third down slot guy and brown is a fine #2.  Both have played well and up to their previous standards of production.  Few people mention the execution and mistakes undoing the offense  I agree but there will be much more room for error if they add some explosive talent.  We dont have a rb who can take it to the house and we for sure dont have that WR1 that can dictate how a whole defense reacts and covers the field.  TE they might have something in Knox but too early to tell.  Were basically trying to win a race each week with a 6 cylinder engine and the good teams have a V12

• Like (+1) 1

Pressure is on our young QB now to evolve, lead and start getting this team more point. This was a wakeup call for him. He knows that he has to take his game to another level.

As much as I agree with we are one year away, push his buttons. He’s been clutch before. Would like to see Allen get pressured in blitz sets that he was experiencing during the Browns game. 

You have to sink before you can swim. Let’s eat and get to the playoffs! 

9 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

No I already am on record for Bills Hiring an senior Offensive Guru to find the Next OC 

...sorry I'm not buying a "Czar bureaucracy level" albeit an "Offensive Czar or Czarina"....McBeane has a staff of 17+, with a significant component being NFL execs at the VP of Personnel level and Director of Pro Player Personnel level.....they're the ones recommending players either drafted, UDFA signings or FA recommendations...can't convince me they don't also evaluate coaching personnel who seem to get the most out of draft/UDFA potentials that would fit OBD's offensive philosophy......but the $64,000 question is, what "exactly is THAT offensive philosophy"?..... and WHO is making THAT call?.......

1 minute ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...sorry I'm not buying a "Czar bureaucracy level" albeit an "Offensive Czar or Czarina"....McBeane has a staff of 17+, with a significant component being NFL execs at the VP of Personnel level and Director of Pro Player Personnel level.....they're the ones recommending players either drafted, UDFA signings or FA recommendations...can't convince me they don't also evaluate coaching personnel who seem to get the most out of draft/UDFA potentials that would fit OBD's offensive philosophy......but the $64,000 question is, what "exactly is THAT offensive philosophy"?..... and WHO is making THAT call?.......

I am even fine with Beane making the OC hire. After two shots I can’t be convinced to let McD make another dip into the OC hiring route. 

they made mistakes too. Like passing on Metcalf for a trade up for Ford. And yet your QB still has no game breaker at WR. 

Edited by MAJBobby
  • Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

I am even fine with Beane making the OC hire. After two shots I can’t be convinced to let McD make another dip into the OC hiring route. 

they made mistakes too. Like passing on Metcalf for a trade up for Ford. And yet your QB still has no game breaker at WR. 

...you my friend may have hit on an interesting, VERY interesting question in my view (FWIW).......back up to the "cart (McDermott) before the horse (McBeane" hiring hierarchy...where does control of final decision lie (doubt we'll ever know)"?.....is McD protective of his staff with hiring authority like Wade was?.....can or does McBeane (and his well traveled staff of 17) have any input or recommendations in staff hires or even "O" or "D" philosophies?.....how would they know what players to draft, what UDFA's to consider or who to chase in FA with no philosophical input?.....plenty of unanswered questions from the "outside looking in" IMO.....are we running on "6 cylinders versus 8" because of it?.........

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

Just now, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...you my friend may have hit on an interesting, VERY interesting question in my view (FWIW).......back up to the "cart (McDermott) before the horse (McBeane" hiring hierarchy...where does control of final decision lie (doubt we'll ever know)"?.....is McD protective of his staff with hiring authority like Wade was?.....can or does McBeane (and his well traveled staff of 17) have any input or recommendations in staff hires or even "O" or "D" philosophies?.....how would they know what players to draft, what UDFA's to consider or who to chase in FA with no philosophical input?.....plenty of unanswered questions from the "outside looking in" IMO..........

what I can say based on readings. 

McD is in charge of Staff and Game day Roster reports directly to Pegulas

Beane works with McD for players but does have the final say on final 53. Reports directly to Pegulas. 

4 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

what I can say based on readings. 

McD is in charge of Staff and Game day Roster reports directly to Pegulas

Beane works with McD for players but does have the final say on final 53. Reports directly to Pegulas. 

...interesting.....we could have the deja vu "Wade Conundrum" regarding staff......wonder who wins?......RW demanded Wade make the change in '99 who refused.....initiating the pee pee contest over "you fired me....no you resigned" squabble.....arbitrator agreed with Wade and RW had to pony up whopping 800 grand HC salary owed Wade....wonder what would happen in the Pegula Court if McBeane contradicted McDermott's staffing choices?....

Just now, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...interesting.....we could have the deja vu "Wade Conundrum" regarding staff......wonder who wins?......RW demanded Wade make the change in '99 who refused.....initiating the pee pee contest over "you fired me....no you resigned" squabble.....arbitrator agreed with Wade and RW had to pony up whopping 800 grand HC salary owed Wade....wonder what would happen in the Pegula Court if McBeane contradicted McDermott's staffing choices?....

I think McD would win the disagreements he was Hired first and the GM second. 

I figure the GM would be told to support the HC that was hired before. 

10 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

I think McD would win the disagreements he was Hired first and the GM second. 

I figure the GM would be told to support the HC that was hired before. 

...probably right......close mindedness is not for the good of the team IMO...........

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

Jackson isn't exactly surrounded by Offensive stars.   Ingram is still pretty decent.  But they will struggle to have a single receiver over 1000 yards this year.  Marquise Brown?  Mark Andrews?

Come on....

This is a joke right ?    Mark Andrews would be our best player