Offensive Talent

elijah

You see it around the league, teams hit walls and then suddenly turn it on, whether it be offensively, defensively, or as a team.  Teams that were struggling suddenly start to click and get going. 

My question for you is, do you think this team has the talent to do that offensively? Could we see an offense that catches fire and still wins 5 or 6 games on the way out? 

For the optimist, it seems that week by week Josh is getting one step closer to completing that deep ball.  While not in a straight line, Singletary’s involvement is trending upwards and his productivity is staying relatively similar.  Foster finally had his first catch this past week which might open up another target in the intermediate game, which happens to be Josh’s best level of the field.  Brown stays consistent.  Josh and Beasley seemed to take a step in the right direction this past week, and the McKenzie jet sweep proved it can be a real element of the offense against the Redskins.  The offensive line has been clicking and getting better on a weekly basis.  It seems just a few things need to happen for the offense to start getting hot. 

For the pessimists, Josh hasn’t connected on a deep ball yet and took a massive step backwards in terms of accuracy this past weekend.  He hasn’t been the same big play threat since New England absolutely destroyed him.  Where is Singletary?  He got more involved finally against Washington and then Daboll abandons him against the 30th ranked run defense in Cleveland.  The playcalling isn’t favorable even amongst the optimistic fans.  Knox plays solid but has had a really rough set of hands ever since his big catch against Cincinnati.  Kroft????  The offense has talent, but if they want to be a New England style identityless offense, which seems to be the goal, they still need another receiver, another tight end since Kroft is invisible, and they’re going to need another RB in place of Gore next off-season likely.  

What say you, is the talent there, can the offense start clicking?  Or are we doomed for this season, we are what we are, and waiting for the off-season in terms of offensive improvement? 

14 minutes ago, elijah said:

You see it around the league, teams hit walls and then suddenly turn it on, whether it be offensively, defensively, or as a team.  Teams that were struggling suddenly start to click and get going. 

My question for you is, do you think this team has the talent to do that offensively? Could we see an offense that catches fire and still wins 5 or 6 games on the way out? 

For the optimist, it seems that week by week Josh is getting one step closer to completing that deep ball.  While not in a straight line, Singletary’s involvement is trending upwards and his productivity is staying relatively similar.  Foster finally had his first catch this past week which might open up another target in the intermediate game, which happens to be Josh’s best level of the field.  Brown stays consistent.  Josh and Beasley seemed to take a step in the right direction this past week, and the McKenzie jet sweep proved it can be a real element of the offense against the Redskins.  The offensive line has been clicking and getting better on a weekly basis.  It seems just a few things need to happen for the offense to start getting hot. 

For the pessimists, Josh hasn’t connected on a deep ball yet and took a massive step backwards in terms of accuracy this past weekend.  He hasn’t been the same big play threat since New England absolutely destroyed him.  Where is Singletary?  He got more involved finally against Washington and then Daboll abandons him against the 30th ranked run defense in Cleveland.  The playcalling isn’t favorable even amongst the optimistic fans.  Knox plays solid but has had a really rough set of hands ever since his big catch against Cincinnati.  Kroft????  The offense has talent, but if they want to be a New England style identityless offense, which seems to be the goal, they still need another receiver, another tight end since Kroft is invisible, and they’re going to need another RB in place of Gore next off-season likely.  

What say you, is the talent there, can the offense start clicking?  Or are we doomed for this season, we are what we are, and waiting for the off-season in terms of offensive improvement? 

I wonder if they could trade a half dozen bad TEs for a #1 receiver.  Alas, to ask is to answer

also, Daboll should stick to what he knows, which I'd assume is competitive eating, rather than playcalling in the National Football League

• Haha (+1) 3

1 minute ago, elijah said:

You can definitely coach up offense.    Thru 16 weeks the 2016 Bills were 7th in the league in scoring and had the fewest turnovers with Tyrod at QB and a very banged up WR corps.   Lynn dictated terms to opposing defenses.    They knew what was coming but struggled to stop it.   

The 2019 Bills offense doesn't dictate *****.   It's a series of plays that are either "gotcha's" or they get got.    It's a dream come true for Cover 1 watching Daboll try to outsmart the opposing DC one play at a time.    I think they could still elevate this offense but they need to start playing more aggressively.   Faster paced,  more of the same plays that they know work etc..   This hunt and peck approach to offense is just failing because there are too many mistakes.       

• Like (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

the points in here about dictating are on point.

for some reason, allen has been hot garbage on big plays this season, but we have been able to run block pretty well.

if it is possible, i'd have the bills O throw in wide open shotgun pass plays where allen has the green light to run wild like he did last year, rather than designed runs, and put the ball in the rbs hands much more.  the tighter precision pass plays we run w our low talent smurfs out there just are not getting it done.

what is super ironic is D's in the nfl tend to be built to stop the pass, so baltimore has a qb who is simply not a good passer, but they just throw over the top and run all over the place and it is producing hard.  

1 minute ago, Boatdrinks said:

If they don’t add significantly to the offense, that will be their demise with the Bills. 

Also, if they dont address the middle of their D, they're going nowhere ever.

Basically, at 6-2 we were all wanting them to be as good as that record.  They're not.  Too many holes and with coaching that seems to highlight the holes rather than hide them

You just look at these teams that continually sit on top... they have some big time play makers, big time talent. Size, weight and speed guys. Buffalo doesn’t have that. Maybe 1 or guys, but it’s all Blue Collar here. Hopefully with a big pocket book and another draft.... aligned with a winning season and a playoff birth Buffalo can attract a few FA at a reasonable price.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, colin said:

what is super ironic is D's in the nfl tend to be built to stop the pass, so baltimore has a qb who is simply not a good passer, but they just throw over the top and run all over the place and it is producing hard.  

Right, because they're not trying to make Jackson be something he isn't

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, dorquemada said:

Also, if they dont address the middle of their D, they're going nowhere ever.

Basically, at 6-2 we were all wanting them to be as good as that record.  They're not.  Too many holes and with coaching that seems to highlight the holes rather than hide them

There is is Already calling for more assets in a position that they drafted into three times, signed two UFAs into.  And still an issue 

2 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

There is is Already calling for more assets in a position that they drafted into three times, signed two UFAs into.  And still an issue 

I mean, yeah, they're terrible up the middle.  Is your point that coaching is to blame?  I'd agree.  They've certainly spent resources but the results arent there. 

Just now, dorquemada said:

I mean, yeah, they're terrible up the middle.  Is your point that coaching is to blame?  I'd agree.  They've certainly spent resources but the results arent there. 

I would say Yep Coaching is partially to blame.  But Harrison Phillips going down hurt this team more than people realize.

• Like (+1) 3

27 minutes ago, elijah said:

Mentioned this in a few different threads.  I don't think the main problem is a lack of talent.

The offense has shown the ability to march 10+ plays, 70-80 yards and score touchdowns. 

It just happens 2-3 times a week, and then we have multiple drives killed by stupid mistakes.

Josh Allen has shown the ability in the past to connect on deep balls.  I think the goal this offseason was to get him "fixed" on his short accuracy, and they didn't do enough to get his timing right with the other receivers.  John Brown is our only deep threat that plays regularly, and he always draws the deep safety help.  Robert Foster hasn't played enough to get on track with anything.  Things just haven't fallen in place, and now the failure to connect has gotten into Josh's head.

Devon Singletary can be a threat, if used more often.  Cole Beasley can be a chain-mover, if we actually target him on 3rd Down.  

There is enough talent to be a good offense.  It's just a multitude of drive-killing issues they can't seem to hurdle.  If they can put together another 2-3 decent drives per week, I think we will be good enough to get on track.

16 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Maybe just Maybe Spend your assets on Offensive Talent????

Nah they wont do that need to add more to the HC Defense

You can't be serious.

This team rebuilt the entire Offensive Line and Wide Receiver room in the offseason.

If you don't like the additions, fine.

But don't pretend they haven't been using resources on offensive talent.

• Like (+1) 1

I still think our best OL would be Dawkins-Feliciano-Morse-Ford-Nsekhe at this point in time. I think Feliciano at the LG spot helps both Dawkins and Morse, so in turn Allen as well. Right now, imo, Ford is better suited to play RG. If you want to rotate someone in and out then let it be Spain at the G positions if need be, not Nsekhe and Ford @ RT. The OL could still use another top tier starter, likely at RT. Josh would also benefit from having a CeeDee Lamb, or a Chase Claypool, or a Laviska Shenault, or a Tee Higgins out there on the field. We have enough smurfs. Give me a big guy who can run, is physical, can go up and get it, and has hands. Regardless of how the rest of this season plays out, next offseason is make or break for this regime imo. Brady is likely on his way out in NE, the Dolphins have like 5 first round picks, and who knows what the Jets will do. The division should be ours for the taking if they maneuver through FA and the draft as they should. 

I am going to be doing a Need Ranking poll sometime in the next month.  I am not going to be surprised when I see some defensive positions leading in the poll as the top needs.  And the fact that will happen is a complete joke when you consider the emphasis on that side of the Ball placed by McConservative

2 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

Mentioned this in a few different threads.  I don't think the main problem is a lack of talent.

The offense has shown the ability to march 10+ plays, 70-80 yards and score touchdowns. 

It just happens 2-3 times a week, and then we have multiple drives killed by stupid mistakes.

Josh Allen has shown the ability in the past to connect on deep balls.  I think the goal this offseason was to get him "fixed" on his short accuracy, and they didn't do enough to get his timing right with the other receivers.  John Brown is our only deep threat that plays regularly, and he always draws the deep safety help.  Robert Foster hasn't played enough to get on track with anything.  Things just haven't fallen in place, and now the failure to connect has gotten into Josh's head.

Devon Singletary can be a threat, if used more often.  Cole Beasley can be a chain-mover, if we actually target him on 3rd Down.  

There is enough talent to be a good offense.  It's just a multitude of drive-killing issues they can't seem to hurdle.  If they can put together another 2-3 decent drives per week, I think we will be good enough to get on track.

You can't be serious.

This team rebuilt the entire Offensive Line and Wide Receiver room in the offseason.

If you don't like the additions, fine.

But don't pretend they haven't been using resources on offensive talent.

Really????  OK So Which of these WRs is a No 1 on another team?  RT is still not very good, this OL has issues in pass pro, cannot block a screen to save their life, horrible in short yardage.  What Draft picks have the used on Offense?  So they went and signed a couple short contract WRs and OL.  

It seems like the Bills offense is just a few guys. Allen, Brown, Gore/Singletary.... and maybe a splash of Beasley.  That’s it.  It’s bizarre.  Just not enough pieces around that O to make it dynamic.  What would Aaron Rodgers do with that group of guys?  Maybe he’d still produce . I dunno 

Just now, whatdrought said:

Consider the improvement our offense made from early last year to late. Now add in the fact that we have much much better talent across the board. I think it’s Possible. Not holding my breath, but I wouldn’t be shocked. 

Well early last year they did Play Peterman, Anderson early in the season last year

• Haha (+1) 1