The Athletic - Cover 1's breakdown of the game, more Allen than Daboll. Also adding some C1 & YPP twitter clips

Reed83HOF

10 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

I think we know who he is now. People don't want to hear it but that's how I feel.

Way more often than not that bonus year to tack those final nails into the coffin are just a waste of time that results in everyone getting fired and the QB getting cut or traded at the end of it.

The last 7 games will start to complete the picture; I do believe it is close to half completed. There was growth is in last chunk of games at the end of 2018 and he was growing the first 5-ish games of this season and he has hit a plateau while cleaning up his INTs. We need to see more growth this year in decision making and getting the ball out on time with anticipation; if he can't grow over the next 7 games in these areas, yeah i am concerned going into 2020 (not ready to close the door, but the writing will start to appear on the wall and we will need to prepare accordingly). In any event, I do expect he will get at least 1/2 through 2021 to make his case. he will have to stop growing right now for that to change imo...

1 hour ago, Questionable said:

This may help clear it up. 

Meh. You can cobble together the worst plays of any QB in the league and get a similar video.

Now let's see an actual highlight video.

Selective editing can paint any picture you want it to.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Baltimore deserves all the praise in the world for thinking out of the box and taking the risk they did.

I'd be thanking Joe Flacco...but eventually Jackson gets in and does what he does!

57 minutes ago, Logic said:

Meh. You can cobble together the worst plays of any QB in the league and get a similar video.

Now let's see an actual highlight video.

Selective editing can paint any picture you want it to.

It's not about his bad play for me, it is pretty definitive proof that guys are open and open quite often.  I believe Daboll's scheme has very little to do with the offense not progressing.  Allen just isn't making the plays.  He has plenty of time in that video and guys he's throwing to are wide open, he just fails to connect with inaccurate passes.

• Like (+1) 3

https://www.milehighreport.com/platform/amp/2019/11/2/20943679/who-should-you-not-blitz

When you look at this list of QBs vs the blitz in 2019.....Allen is where he is because of the INTs and lack of TDs.  If he has 7 TDs and 1 INT instead of only 3 TDs and 4 INTs, he is in the top half of the league in rating.  This is fixable.   Notice the QBs around him.  Murray.  Darnold.  Baker.  Danny Dimes.  Jimmy G.  

This tells me this team desperately needs a number 1 WR (something most of those QBs at the top have....not sure what Bakers excuse is).  

We move the ball.  Not consistently enough.  And don't punch it in enough.  It's a combination of Josh, Daboll being in over his head and out coaches weekly, and lack of that real #1 (like what Cooper has done with Dak.)   

I truly believe the only people panicking over Josh are the ones that think he should be as good as Jackson currently.  I hate that mentality.  It gets us nowhere.  Not a growth mindset folks.  Not the process.  

I look at this offense and all I see is a young QB being asked to do too much with not enough at the skill positions and a coaching staff that very well may have made the mistake of over coaching him to reign it in.  The fact that Josh said on those deep balls he is absolutely worried about under throwing it and getting picked......give me a break.  I'll take getting picked on a deep shot that's almost definitely in the opponents side of the field all day especially if its 3rd down....game situation....etc. 

McD needs to tell him to heck with the stats.  Sling it.  Just don't be careless (take 10 yard sacks or throw balls across your body into double coverage).  Understand game situation and do your thing.  And sorry, we'll try to get you you're Amari Cooper next year.  

Edited by Big Blitz
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Reed83HOF said:

on the nifty play, so much for the idea that we couldn't run because they had 8 in the box.  Nice hole for Motor to squirt through

A s far as blitzing Josh, it's football 101.  The Rookie Treatment.

Blitz the young QB until he proves he can beat it.  Expect the Fish to do the same.

Edited by reddogblitz
  • Like (+1) 1

I have to say this is what I saw watching the game live - I didn't watch the all22 back until last night but there were no surprised for me. Josh played poorly Sunday. To me it was his most concerning performance of 2019 by far. The Patriots game was a day where everything kind of went wrong and he isn't the first young QB in those circumstances against Belichick to unravel a tad. But the mistakes in that game tended to be him going for things, trying to make plays.

I called his performance "Tyrod-esque" in the shoutbox on Sunday - I still feel that way. Even from the broadcast angle you could see open receivers that Josh was missing when scanning the field, you could see him holding the ball too long and you could see him bailing from clean pockets when he should have stepped up. Were there drops? Yes. Was there some questionable play calling? Yes - though I don't believe it was as bad as some here would argue. Did the kicker miss two FGs that at this level you expect a highly paid place kicker to make? Yes. But to me there is no getting around it and all these film review websites saw the same thing - Josh Allen did not play well. He failed to make the plays the Buffalo Bills needed him to make to win us a game and the plays most definitely were there to be made. I have questioned where our skill guys get open enough at times too - but that was not the issue on Sunday. We had plenty of open receivers. We didn't get the ball to them.

It is not time to panic with Josh or to bench him or even to rush to say we have to draft another Quarterback. But this was start 20. The training wheels should be off now. I get that Quarterbacks develop at different rates - but in the modern NFL you have to show what you are made of pretty quickly. As far as I am concerned now is the point where the clock is turned on. The first 20 they were a freebie. They were what any reasonable NFL team drafting a Quarterback in the first round owes him. There has been some promise in those 20 games as well.... Josh has not been this bad often, if at all, since returning from injury last season. I still go back to the first 3 games of this season and say I think he looked pretty darn good at times. Maybe there is some blame on the coaching staff. I suspect there is something in the fact that they have started to coach him to be "safe" and as a result he isn't trusting what his eyes tell him and cutting loose in maybe the way he was earlier in the season. But we have to start to see real tangible and consistent progress now towards a franchise Quarterback. I am as down on him now as I have been almost at any point since he was drafted. Sunday was just a really disappointing performance from him. Josh Allen has to be better and he has to start being better on a consistent basis soon.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

51 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Maybe there is some blame on the coaching staff. I suspect there is something in the fact that they have started to coach him to be "safe" and as a result he isn't trusting what his eyes tell him and cutting loose in maybe the way he was earlier in the season. But we have to start to see real tangible and consistent progress now towards a franchise Quarterback. I am as down on him now as I have been almost at any point since he was drafted. Sunday was just a really disappointing performance from him. Josh Allen has to be better and he has to start being better on a consistent basis soon.

It's certainly no coincidence that Allen's INTs have gone down at the same time he's playing the game like a completely different person.

This coaching staff is messing with his psyche and destroying his game.

Father McDermott thinks his defense can win games as long as Josh "protects" the ball.  False.

Let this kid play his game.  Stop trying to make him finesse the long balls .... let him let those babies rip - which is what seems to come naturally to him.

The difference in this team, all around, since the bye is mind-blowing to me.  

I certainly agree that Josh Allen has been part of the problem.  I agree that he needs to be better.  But I do truly believe this coaching staff is going to ruin him.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Gugny said:

It's certainly no coincidence that Allen's INTs have gone down at the same time he's playing the game like a completely different person.

This coaching staff is messing with his psyche and destroying his game.

Father McDermott thinks his defense can win games as long as Josh "protects" the ball.  False.

Let this kid play his game.  Stop trying to make him finesse the long balls .... let him let those babies rip - which is what seems to come naturally to him.

I agree with this. I keep saying it - I don't want Allen hidden. Some people would rather Allen play safe football, we run the ball a ton and maybe that is the best route to winning 10 games and making the playoffs in 2019. It probably is. But it isn't giving us the best chance of developing Josh into a franchise Quarterback. And maybe I am alone in this but as much as I'd love to make the playoffs for the 2nd time in 3 years I would take 9-7 but Josh looking more like an actual franchise guy than 10-6 in and Josh turned into a safety first Tyrod clone.

I am higher on McDermott than you... I do think he is a good coach and I think he wants to be a coach whose team can score points and live with the other prolific offenses. I think he knows that is the way to win. But I do think on occasion his natural defensive instincts take over a bit and he becomes conservative and I do think he might have got scared after the New England game and they have started to try and reign Josh in.

6 hours ago, Questionable said:

It's not about his bad play for me, it is pretty definitive proof that guys are open and open quite often.  I believe Daboll's scheme has very little to do with the offense not progressing.  Allen just isn't making the plays.  He has plenty of time in that video and guys he's throwing to are wide open, he just fails to connect with inaccurate passes.

Exactly. I’m concerned because he has never shown his self to be an accurate Quarterback at any level. He looks like his college take. And guess what? Baker liked like his college take at the end of 2018 and Lamar looks like his college tape now. What if this is just Josh Allen?

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I agree with this. I keep saying it - I don't want Allen hidden. Some people would rather Allen play safe football, we run the ball a ton and maybe that is the best route to winning 10 games and making the playoffs in 2019. It probably is. But it isn't giving us the best chance of developing Josh into a franchise Quarterback. And maybe I am alone in this but as much as I'd love to make the playoffs for the 2nd time in 3 years I would take 9-7 but Josh looking more like an actual franchise guy than 10-6 in and Josh turned into a safety first Tyrod clone.

I am higher on McDermott than you... I do think he is a good coach and I think he wants to be a coach whose team can score points and live with the other prolific offenses. I think he knows that is the way to win. But I do think on occasion his natural defensive instincts take over a bit and he becomes conservative and I do think he might have got scared after the New England game and they have started to try and reign Josh in.

Do you think Allen really deserves the trust of the coaching staff yet?

In 9 games he has 11 fumbles and 7 INT.  That’s insane and do understand why McDermott wanted to calm him down.

If he’s going to turn the ball over at that rate, he needs to produce more....certainly more than 10 passing TD’s.

Just like you, this game was very concerning for me with Allen.

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Isn't that a contradiction?  If you let Josh be Josh, he reverts back to bad habits.  

I have no idea why people think that Mcd & Daboll are telling him to stop making aggressive throws.  What is probably happening is that Daboll & Dorsey are trying to drill the fundamentals (which he never had) and having him make the correct pre and post snap reads.  That's not natural to him and could explain his confusion and hesitation.  Hopefully he's learning, but his processing is too slow still.  

If you unleash the reigns at this point, you'd better be looking at a QB in 2020, because he'll never get better than Vince Young.

Time. That's all that we need to get this offense clicking even with the lack of a legitimate #1 WR and TE. The game needs to slow down just a touch more for Allen. He's making his reads, just getting there late so throwing late and with rushed mechanics. Guys are open, but rarely does Allen have time to get through his whole progression before the heat is on. It's a combination of Allen getting through his progressions a split second quicker and the O-line holding up just a fraction more. As Allen gets more experience, especially against the blitz, the game will slow for him and he will be getting the ball out faster with better mechanics. 

Unfortunately, as long suffering Bills fans, most have little patience to allow Allen to develop and Daboll to figure out how to call a game that maximizes Josh's chance to succeed while reigning in the turnovers. Daboll is still a work in progress too. I'm thinking unless there is a complete collapse the next 8 games there is no question they will both be back next season despite many calling for their heads.

The next 8 games will tell us a lot. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, GG said:

Isn't that a contradiction?  If you let Josh be Josh, he reverts back to bad habits.  

I have no idea why people think that Mcd & Daboll are telling him to stop making aggressive throws.  What is probably happening is that Daboll & Dorsey are trying to drill the fundamentals (which he never had) and having him make the correct pre and post snap reads.  That's not natural to him and could explain his confusion and hesitation.  Hopefully he's learning, but his processing is too slow still.  

If you unleash the reigns at this point, you'd better be looking at a QB in 2020, because he'll never get better than Vince Young.

This is where I'm at - it's a processing speed issue.  Tough to correct, but not impossible.