The Athletic - Cover 1's breakdown of the game, more Allen than Daboll. Also adding some C1 & YPP twitter clips

Reed83HOF

1 minute ago, billsfan_34 said:

For simplifying things -  17 designed runs vs 42 passes. Just not very balanced and hard to win that way, imo but I do respect yours - ? 

I think that's fair. My admittedly odd opinion - I don't think the Bills are a particularly good rushing team. I think they tend to get stoned at a disproportionately high level on obvious running downs, and neither RB has breakaway ability. The numbers admittedly look alright, and it's not as if they're terrible. I think the larger issue is they simply haven't been able to build two score leads, and that's partly a function of dreadful third quarter performances. They tend to find themselves in a lot of see saw battles where they have to pass late, even against bad teams. The Washington game was an exception, and the running numbers were big in that one. They were behind for most of the game vs Cleveland, NE, the Jets, and Philly, and the even the Dolphins and Cincy had late leads.  They threw it more than they ran it vs. TN (36 passes to 27 runs, with 10 by Allen), but Singletary was out in that game and the game was tied in the 4th quarter.  Just about all of their good running plays came on the final possession; prior to that they had rushed 18 times for 60 yards against a stout TN d-line. 

1 hour ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

Why doesn't Cover1 come back here and post his own stuff?  

Fundamentally, our TOS prohibit advertisements to promote other sites.  What's the line between sharing football information here, and using this site as a free promotional tool to direct traffic to your own site (advertise?)  I don't know, but several have been considered by SDS to have crossed it and asked to either cease promoting their site in their posts, or move on.

14 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Gotcha buddy I'll take a look...

The McKenzie play where Josh over threw him and got hit in the mouth?

IIRC, that was a play that Daboll specifically spoke to in his presser yesterday as an "Execution" issue - on the OL.  Said one of our OLmen hit another and knocked him enough off his block that pressure got to Josh and he couldn't make a clean throw (paraphrasing)

1 hour ago, Reed83HOF said:

Cover1 has been impressing the hell out of me this season. What an excellent write up from the game on Sunday

Some excerpts:

“There were opportunities in that game where I have to be better,” Allen said. “I have to put our offense in better situations, and I just didn’t do that today.”  The game film shows he’s right.

(....)

Linebacker Joe Schobert is responsible for RB Devin Singletary and Mack Wilson is the spy — a Browns setup we saw throughout the game. Allen sees that Knox isn’t blowing past Browns safety Morgan Burnett, so he makes the back-shoulder throw. Knox executes a “push-by,” slightly placing his right hand on Burnett’s back and pushing off as he rotates back to the ball. Allen’s throw is on the hands and Knox drops the ball./

Maybe it's just me, but did anyone else find it a bit odd that Erik (Cover1) quotes Allen taking all the blame and agrees, then gives several back to back examples where Allen made the correct read and a good decision and

1) the pass hits Knox on the hands and he drops it

2) Allen delivers a catchable ball to Brown and Denzel Ward punches it out of his hands successfully

etc?

I think it's important to note that while Allen was tested by the pressure and missed some throws he could have had, he also did a number of things well - which McDermott acknowledged in his post game presser. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Maybe it's just me, but did anyone else find it a bit odd that Erik (Cover1) quotes Allen taking all the blame and agrees, then gives several back to back examples where Allen made the correct read and a good decision and

1) the pass hits Knox on the hands and he drops it

2) Allen delivers a catchable ball to Brown and Denzel Ward punches it out of his hands successfully

etc?

I think it's important to note that while Allen was tested by the pressure and missed some throws he could have had, he also did a number of things well - which McDermott acknowledged in his post game presser. 

Cover1 is decent but not perfect by any means. They are not always correct in their analysis for me.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Yeah the 2nd and 10 near the end of the third quarter, ball on BUF 43

Like cover 1 said it's sort of a leak concept that the rams use alot. Though McKenzie doesn't fake much of a block so it's hard to call it a true leak..  it's a mesh concept with a vertical up seam

McKenzie is fast but I wouldn't call him a true deep threat, he struggles tracking balls downfield while maintaining speed and I think the same happens

It wasn't a perfect pass and floated a bit outside his shoulder but he also doesn't look like he tracts it great

Most NFL deep threats have 5-10 foot catch radiuses. Think Moulds and TO and Green and Julio. They aren't 5'9 Smurfs that need a PERFECT BALL

That ball was within a couple steps and I don't think he tracked it perfectly. Imo a true NFL deep threat who can track a ball and might be a bit bigger could come down with that

I feel like all of our WRs look for the ball too early on deep balls .. the best guys leave 5-10% in the tank and can kick it into high gear when the ball is in the air

Our guys look like they slow down when tracking a ball

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

The modern age has turned everybody into an armchair GM and a scout 

Hindsight is 2020 and looking back at things are easy. Josh Allen wasn't the greatest but he wasn't bad. He made a good amount of big time throws

Cover 1 always tried to look for everything to make Tyrod look good and always had excuses for him. A 28 year old vet

Now we got a 23 year old with actual QB talent and he tries to put the pressure on him

Instead of an OC who DOESN'T DEVELOP RHYTHM OR AN IDENTITY THROUGHOUT 9 WEEKS OF THE SEASON

QBs don't develop overnight or in 2 games... It's a steady development over years and if you are angry about where Josh is in his development, idk what to tell you because he's way ahead of where I thought he'd be

Imagine claiming Allen is way better than he should be, but then saying his OC sucks.

• Thank you (+1) 2

im a big cover 1 fan.

i think they get caught up in the x's and o's (well, that is their job) and give daboll to much love because he's creative in drawing up some plays that get people running around.  

the play design is just part of it, we need the OL to block well, the QB to read the play right and deliver the ball, and the WR to be precise and come down with it.  based on the talent we have at these positions, we just aren't good, and clevland is good at stopping it.  the constant pressure was just icing on the cake.  a lot of qbs would have had the ball strip sacked w the free runners clevland was getting.  not excusing allen, he still makes dumb moves but they are more about missing an open guy or throwing a bad ball rather than insane hero ball turnovers, so that's a plus!

singletery should be attempting at least 15 if not 20 rushes vs a garbage run d like cleavland.  

1 minute ago, Buffalo716 said:

Like cover 1 said it's sort of a leak concept that the rams use alot. Though McKenzie doesn't fake much of a block so it's hard to call it a true leak..  it's a mesh concept with a vertical up seam

McKenzie is fast but I wouldn't call him a true deep threat, he struggles tracking balls downfield while maintaining speed and I think the same happens

It wasn't a perfect pass and floated a bit outside his shoulder but he also doesn't look like he tracts it great

Most NFL deep threats have 5-10 foot catch radiuses. Think Moulds and TO and Green and Julio. They aren't 5'9 Smurfs that need a PERFECT BALL

That ball was within a couple steps and I don't think he tracked it perfectly. Imo a true NFL deep threat who can track a ball and might be a bit bigger could come down with that

I feel like all of our WRs look for the ball too early on deep balls .. the best guys leave 5-10% in the tank and can kick it into high gear when the ball is in the air

This is what I see as well. Again, not saying Allen hasn't been struggling connecting deep, but this one particular play is an example of lack of talent/experience at wideout instead of QB error.

McKenzie is looking for the ball when he hits the 30 for some reason, which is while Allen is still looking off the safety...maybe he was so excited about getting on top of the DB that quick he wasn't concentrating on finishing the route and wanted to secure the catch...no idea what was going through his head. He (McKenzie) twists and turns twice before the ball's even in the air and it kills his route, he's not balanced, and never going to make that play. He doesn't even know where the ball is. 

• Awesome! (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I have had that thought myself.  The best deep ball threat WR can gain separation running at 95%, and have 5% left to kick it up for a long throw.

That wouldn't always help but it would turn some misses into completions.

3 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

Imagine claiming Allen is way better than he should be, but then saying his OC sucks.

I don't think I said the words suck. He is as inconsistent as Allen and that's why the offense is

We haven't developed an identity in 2 years Dabolls been here. He will call 2 good series than 2 bad ones

Allen needs consistency in his coaching and gameplanning if he wants to find consistency in his play. 2 way Street

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Buffalo716 said:

I don't think I said the words suck. He is as inconsistent as Allen and that's why the offense is

We haven't developed an identity in 2 years Dabolls been here. He will call 2 good series than 2 bad ones

Allen needs consistency in his coaching and gameplanning if he wants to find consistency in his play. 2 way Street

You said, “instead of,” as if it was one’s fault instead of the other. 

4 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Like this play?

Sorry I don't know how to embed Tweets

Looks like Allen throws it to where McKenzie starts out running, but the McKenzie veers from his route and can't seem to track the ball at all.  It's a very odd route.  Was it supposed to be an outside post?   

1 minute ago, GoBills808 said:

This is what I see as well. Again, not saying Allen hasn't been struggling connecting deep, but this one particular play is an example of lack of talent/experience at wideout instead of QB error.

McKenzie is looking for the ball when he hits the 30 for some reason, which is while Allen is still looking off the safety...maybe he was so excited about getting on top of the DB that quick he wasn't concentrating on finishing the route and wanted to secure the catch...no idea what was going through his head. He (McKenzie) twists and turns twice before the ball's even in the air and it kills his route, he's not balanced, and never going to make that play. He doesn't even know where the ball is. 

McKenzie is just not a complete WR.  They are trying to push him into that role because until/unless he poses a threat on other routes, he's become a "tell" that the Bills will be running some kind of Jet sweep type play.  To his credit, he made a nice reception on a slant pass in the Redskins game.

But why the Bills keep trying to use guys as deep ball receivers who just ARE NOT (I'm talking about you, Zay Jones and Cole Beasley, and now McKensie too) I do not know

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Reed83HOF said:

Cover1 has been impressing the hell out of me this season. What an excellent write up from the game on Sunday

Some excerpts:

“There were opportunities in that game where I have to be better,” Allen said. “I have to put our offense in better situations, and I just didn’t do that today.”

The game film shows he’s right. Browns defensive coordinator Steve Wilks, like other coaches against the Bills this season, pressured the second-year quarterback. Wilks has blitzed 34 percent of the time this season, which is the fourth most in the NFL. On Sunday, Wilks chose to blitz Allen on 41 percent of his dropbacks, using a variety of bluff blitzes, edge pressures and Cover 0 looks to get into Allen’s head.

Wilks and the Browns defense let the Bills operate in the short and intermediate areas. But when the visiting team got to third down, the Browns clamped down.

The New England Patriots laid out a defensive blueprint in their 16-10 win over the Bills in Week 4, and other teams have taken notice. The Browns crowded the line of scrimmage and forced Allen to make the correct pre- and post-snap decisions. Buffalo finished the game 5-for-13 on third down and 0-for-2 on fourth down.

Linebacker Joe Schobert is responsible for RB Devin Singletary and Mack Wilson is the spy — a Browns setup we saw throughout the game. Allen sees that Knox isn’t blowing past Browns safety Morgan Burnett, so he makes the back-shoulder throw. Knox executes a “push-by,” slightly placing his right hand on Burnett’s back and pushing off as he rotates back to the ball. Allen’s throw is on the hands and Knox drops the ball.

This time, Daboll gives Allen the perfect play to beat man coverage. He short-motions WR Beasley behind Brown so the corners have to wait until after the snap to decide who they’re covering.The Bills provide strong protection on this six-man pressure and Allen completes the pass to Beasley with plenty of green ahead of him.

The Bills provide strong protection on this six-man pressure and Allen completes the pass to Beasley with plenty of green ahead of him.He has to make a split-second decision on where to go with the ball. Singletary still manages to get a piece of the corner and the linemen pick up the pressure well. Allen simply panics, likely seeing a soft edge and the “wall defender” with his backed turned.

On Monday, Daboll credited Wilks for his play-call on that third down. Daboll called a good second half overall, but Wilks’ defensive strategy caused Allen to struggle. The Bills offense had some advantageous one-on-one matchups, but Daboll may have relied on them too much when he would have been better served scheming throws to give Allen easier solutions.

Wilks consistently bluffed and/or blitzed Allen, forcing the quarterback to go through his pre- and post-snap processes more quickly than he is used to at this point in his career. When pressured, Allen was 6-for-16 for 65 yard (37.5 percent completion rate), averaging 4.1 yards per attempt and taking one sack.

The Bills knew the Browns played an attacking style of defense and they failed to execute consistently against the aggressive looks. Due to the Browns’ success, teams will look to pressure Allen more on third-and-medium situations. Will the results against Cleveland serve as a learning experience for Allen and the offense?

https://theathletic.com/1369299/2019/11/12/bills-film-room-the-browns-beat-josh-allen-with-their-pressure-schemes-and-provided-a-blueprint/

Funny but I’ve been saying the same thing for weeks and have been labeled as someone with a “crusade” who is “jaded”

If anyone thinks that replacing Daboll will suddenly fix Josh’s shortcomings, and if you buy into Turner’s film analysis, you might be mistaken.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

McKenzie is just not a complete WR.  They are trying to push him into that role because until/unless he poses a threat on other routes, he's become a "tell" that the Bills will be running some kind of Jet sweep type play.  To his credit, he made a nice reception on a slant pass in the Redskins game.

But why the Bills keep trying to use guys as deep ball receivers who just ARE NOT (I'm talking about you, Zay Jones and Cole Beasley, and now McKensie too) I do not know

Because they didn't draft a deep ball guy.

You know where i'm going with this.

• Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I have had that thought myself.  The best deep ball threat WR can gain separation running at 95%, and have 5% left to kick it up for a long throw.

That wouldn't always help but it would turn some misses into completions.

I think that if you watched most NFL receivers, they're looking back early too. People on this board ripped John Brown for allegedly looking back early on an overthrown deep ball too, but neglected to mention that he's a great deep receiver who has been running good deep routes and catching bombs for years. It's not as if receivers run 30 yards down the field and turn their head at just the right moment with the ball falling magically into their breadbasket. They have to look back to be aware of what's coming and where it's going to land. 

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

He's young still, very fast...they're trying to develop these guys imo. That was a chance for McKenzie to show out and he didn't. But they're being consistent in giving these guys opportunities by putting them in spots to succeed. I think Brown makes that play but maybe doesn't get as open because he gets more attention from the secondary. I think maybe Foster makes that play but he's in the doghouse atm. 

1 minute ago, BringBackOrton said:

You said, “instead of,” as if it was one’s fault instead of the other. 

It is the coaches job to create an identity on their side of the ball

My instead of was pointing out that we haven't had an identity or consistent gameplanning

Josh needs to clean up lots of stuff but he also needs consistent gameplanning and an offensive identity to build around

2 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

Funny but I’ve been saying the same thing for weeks and have been labeled as someone with a “crusade” who is “jaded”

If anyone thinks that replacing Daboll will suddenly fix Josh’s shortcomings, and if you buy into Turner’s film analysis, you might be mistaken.

This is why in this post, with the selections I gave were the Josh plays and nothing on Daboll - everyone see's issues with flow and going away from what works - this is discussed in like 45673 other threads...

It's okay to say Josh still has a way to go and point out the areas he needs to grow in. That doesn't make you a hater, it makes you someone who can look at the entire situation critically and grasp what is actually going on...