The Athletic - Cover 1's breakdown of the game, more Allen than Daboll. Also adding some C1 & YPP twitter clips

Reed83HOF

Cover1 has been impressing the hell out of me this season. What an excellent write up from the game on Sunday

Some excerpts:

“There were opportunities in that game where I have to be better,” Allen said. “I have to put our offense in better situations, and I just didn’t do that today.”

The game film shows he’s right. Browns defensive coordinator Steve Wilks, like other coaches against the Bills this season, pressured the second-year quarterback. Wilks has blitzed 34 percent of the time this season, which is the fourth most in the NFL. On Sunday, Wilks chose to blitz Allen on 41 percent of his dropbacks, using a variety of bluff blitzes, edge pressures and Cover 0 looks to get into Allen’s head.

Wilks and the Browns defense let the Bills operate in the short and intermediate areas. But when the visiting team got to third down, the Browns clamped down.

The New England Patriots laid out a defensive blueprint in their 16-10 win over the Bills in Week 4, and other teams have taken notice. The Browns crowded the line of scrimmage and forced Allen to make the correct pre- and post-snap decisions. Buffalo finished the game 5-for-13 on third down and 0-for-2 on fourth down.

Linebacker Joe Schobert is responsible for RB Devin Singletary and Mack Wilson is the spy — a Browns setup we saw throughout the game. Allen sees that Knox isn’t blowing past Browns safety Morgan Burnett, so he makes the back-shoulder throw. Knox executes a “push-by,” slightly placing his right hand on Burnett’s back and pushing off as he rotates back to the ball. Allen’s throw is on the hands and Knox drops the ball.

This time, Daboll gives Allen the perfect play to beat man coverage. He short-motions WR Beasley behind Brown so the corners have to wait until after the snap to decide who they’re covering.The Bills provide strong protection on this six-man pressure and Allen completes the pass to Beasley with plenty of green ahead of him.

The Bills provide strong protection on this six-man pressure and Allen completes the pass to Beasley with plenty of green ahead of him.He has to make a split-second decision on where to go with the ball. Singletary still manages to get a piece of the corner and the linemen pick up the pressure well. Allen simply panics, likely seeing a soft edge and the “wall defender” with his backed turned.

On Monday, Daboll credited Wilks for his play-call on that third down. Daboll called a good second half overall, but Wilks’ defensive strategy caused Allen to struggle. The Bills offense had some advantageous one-on-one matchups, but Daboll may have relied on them too much when he would have been better served scheming throws to give Allen easier solutions.

Wilks consistently bluffed and/or blitzed Allen, forcing the quarterback to go through his pre- and post-snap processes more quickly than he is used to at this point in his career. When pressured, Allen was 6-for-16 for 65 yard (37.5 percent completion rate), averaging 4.1 yards per attempt and taking one sack.

The Bills knew the Browns played an attacking style of defense and they failed to execute consistently against the aggressive looks. Due to the Browns’ success, teams will look to pressure Allen more on third-and-medium situations. Will the results against Cleveland serve as a learning experience for Allen and the offense?

https://theathletic.com/1369299/2019/11/12/bills-film-room-the-browns-beat-josh-allen-with-their-pressure-schemes-and-provided-a-blueprint/

Edited by Reed83HOF
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Teams will continue to blitz Allen like crazy.

He needs to figure it out.

Lots of QB's over time have struggled early on in their careers with the blitz.

What has changed is the lack of patience with young QB's in today's NFL environment.

Seeing Lamar Jackson's success in Baltimore has only enraged Bills fans ire over Allen. But I remain patient.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 7

It still seems to me that we run a lot of deep routes against blitz heavy packages... this was a complaint I had last year, and this year we seemed to change some of that initially, but it looks to me like we’re back to it... Allen definitely needs to improve his quickness on reads, not to mention recognizing where blitz is coming from, but it seems like a lot of times there’s nobody to throw to before the pocket is obliterated. Anyone seeing that as well?

• Like (+1) 5

Cover 1 is so full of *****. It's Allen's fault that on a 3rd 3 where the Browns are almost definitely going to blitz, his shortest route option is 10 yards down the field? Daboll knows teams are going to blitz Allen yet here we are, still calling the same, long developing passing plays. You know how you mitigate the pass rush? Run the ***** ball. Call screen passes. Make teams think twice about calling that blitz.

• Like (+1) 17
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Luka said:

Cover 1 is so full of *****. It's Allen's fault that on a 3rd 3 where the Browns are almost definitely going to blitz, his shortest route option is 10 yards down the field? Daboll knows teams are going to blitz Allen yet here we are, still calling the same, long developing passing plays. You know how you mitigate the pass rush? Run the ***** ball. Call screen passes. Make teams think twice about calling that blitz.

0:)

• Like (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Teams will continue to blitz Allen like crazy.

He needs to figure it out.

Lots of QB's over time have struggled early on in their careers with the blitz.

What has changed is the lack of patience with young QB's in today's NFL environment.

Seeing Lamar Jackson's success in Baltimore has only enraged Bills fans ire over Allen. But I remain patient.

Funny thing is, I doubt many of these fans were clamoring for Jackson . ( I liked him at Louisville and thought he should be a consideration if the team didn’t want to move up). Further, Harbaugh and the Ravens really had to step back and think outside the box with him. I doubt the Bills would have drafted Jackson, but I also don’t think they have the creative side to their coaching for it to succeed. He went to the best situation possible for him, and is thriving as a result. The draft is a crapshoot, but some of it comes down to situation and coaching as well. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Funny thing is, I doubt many of these fans were clamoring for Jackson . ( I liked him at Louisville and thought he should be a consideration if the team didn’t want to move up). Further, Harbaugh and the Ravens really had to step back and think outside the box with him. I doubt the Bills would have drafted Jackson, but I also don’t think they have the creative side to their coaching for it to succeed. He went to the best situation possible for him, and is thriving as a result. The draft is a crapshoot, but some of it comes down to situation and coaching as well. 

Anyone who thinks that Jackson, Mahomes, Watson etc. would've been successful here are kidding themselves. Watson maybe. Mahomes is playing with an offensive genius. The guy schemes offense like Belicheck schemes defense. Jackson required an offense to be built around his skillset, which we can't even do with Allen, who has a more traditional skill set. Those guys would also have to throw to Zay Jones, Lee Smith, McKenzie etc. No Tyreek Hill, no DeAndre Hopkins, no Hollywood Brown.

Edited by Luka
  • Like (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 4

7 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Agreed. I think most if not all of these highly drafted QBs can do the job. What separates those who succeed and those who don't has much to do with the situation they're thrust into. Baltimore deserves credit for using Lamar in areas that maximize  his strengths.  I just don't see that creative side or moreso the ability to adapt by this staff. It's starting to become worrisome to me that the attitude is this is how we do things around here.

Edited by D. L. Hot-Flamethrower
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Luka said:

I agree 100%

Maybe that's why he stopped posting here ...

Too many people called him out on "shoddy" reporting 

Amazing how people have forgotten the TALENT on Cleveland.

Cleveland ALSO beat the Ravens 

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

I agree 100%

Just like everyone else here, he cherry picks plays to make his point, never addresses anything positive that might show his opinion isn't an absolute. Same childish response you would get here if you refute his point. It's funny because he shows the one play, where Josh has 3 reads to make and he is under considerable pressure almost immediately. He blames Josh but he has no idea what the play call was, what his hot read was. To me it looked like Beasley was his hot read, he sets that way to throw it, has to come off of it and reset and by that time, play is already over.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

I agree 100%

And if they ran into a blitz, many fans would be crying about that on here as well. At the end of the day, players need to pick up blitzes in both passing & running situations and at times yeah the defense wins...

8 minutes ago, Luka said:

Anyone who thinks that Jackson, Mahomes, Watson etc. would've been successful are kidding themselves. Watson maybe. Mahomes is playing with an offensive genius. The guy schemes offense like Belicheck schemes defense. Jackson required an offense to be built around his skillset, which we can't even do with Allen, who has a more traditional skill set. Those guys would also have to throw to Zay Jones, Lee Smith, McKenzie etc. No Tyreek Hill, no DeAndre Hopkins, no Hollywood Brown.

A lot of this past game is on Allen himself, as this thread shows.

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, Luka said:

Just like everyone else here, he cherry picks plays to make his point, never addresses anything positive that might show his opinion isn't an absolute. Same childish response you would get here if you refute his point. It's funny because he shows the one play, where Josh has 3 reads to make and he is under considerable pressure almost immediately. He blames Josh but he has no idea what the play call was, what his hot read was. To me it looked like Beasley was his hot read, he sets that way to throw it, has to come off of it and reset and by that time, play is already over.

Just like you are doing in your post...cherry picking to cast your doubt on Daboll

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

I agree 100%

Cleveland was 2-6 going into the game. 

31 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

Cover1 has been impressing the hell out of me this season. What an excellent write up from the game on Sunday

Some excerpts:

“There were opportunities in that game where I have to be better,” Allen said. “I have to put our offense in better situations, and I just didn’t do that today.”

The game film shows he’s right. Browns defensive coordinator Steve Wilks, like other coaches against the Bills this season, pressured the second-year quarterback. Wilks has blitzed 34 percent of the time this season, which is the fourth most in the NFL. On Sunday, Wilks chose to blitz Allen on 41 percent of his dropbacks, using a variety of bluff blitzes, edge pressures and Cover 0 looks to get into Allen’s head.

Wilks and the Browns defense let the Bills operate in the short and intermediate areas. But when the visiting team got to third down, the Browns clamped down.

The New England Patriots laid out a defensive blueprint in their 16-10 win over the Bills in Week 4, and other teams have taken notice. The Browns crowded the line of scrimmage and forced Allen to make the correct pre- and post-snap decisions. Buffalo finished the game 5-for-13 on third down and 0-for-2 on fourth down.

Linebacker Joe Schobert is responsible for RB Devin Singletary and Mack Wilson is the spy — a Browns setup we saw throughout the game. Allen sees that Knox isn’t blowing past Browns safety Morgan Burnett, so he makes the back-shoulder throw. Knox executes a “push-by,” slightly placing his right hand on Burnett’s back and pushing off as he rotates back to the ball. Allen’s throw is on the hands and Knox drops the ball.

This time, Daboll gives Allen the perfect play to beat man coverage. He short-motions WR Beasley behind Brown so the corners have to wait until after the snap to decide who they’re covering.The Bills provide strong protection on this six-man pressure and Allen completes the pass to Beasley with plenty of green ahead of him.

The Bills provide strong protection on this six-man pressure and Allen completes the pass to Beasley with plenty of green ahead of him.He has to make a split-second decision on where to go with the ball. Singletary still manages to get a piece of the corner and the linemen pick up the pressure well. Allen simply panics, likely seeing a soft edge and the “wall defender” with his backed turned.

On Monday, Daboll credited Wilks for his play-call on that third down. Daboll called a good second half overall, but Wilks’ defensive strategy caused Allen to struggle. The Bills offense had some advantageous one-on-one matchups, but Daboll may have relied on them too much when he would have been better served scheming throws to give Allen easier solutions.

Wilks consistently bluffed and/or blitzed Allen, forcing the quarterback to go through his pre- and post-snap processes more quickly than he is used to at this point in his career. When pressured, Allen was 6-for-16 for 65 yard (37.5 percent completion rate), averaging 4.1 yards per attempt and taking one sack.

The Bills knew the Browns played an attacking style of defense and they failed to execute consistently against the aggressive looks. Due to the Browns’ success, teams will look to pressure Allen more on third-and-medium situations. Will the results against Cleveland serve as a learning experience for Allen and the offense?

https://theathletic.com/1369299/2019/11/12/bills-film-room-the-browns-beat-josh-allen-with-their-pressure-schemes-and-provided-a-blueprint/

So then why only run 13 times? 

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

It still seems to me that we run a lot of deep routes against blitz heavy packages... this was a complaint I had last year, and this year we seemed to change some of that initially, but it looks to me like we’re back to it... Allen definitely needs to improve his quickness on reads, not to mention recognizing where blitz is coming from, but it seems like a lot of times there’s nobody to throw to before the pocket is obliterated. Anyone seeing that as well?

I agree, if we called some timely screens against the Blitz they would have backed off. The screen game has been pathetic this year.

4 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Cleveland was 2-6 going into the game. 

They had a very difficult schedule. Wouldn’t surprise me at all if they had 8 wins by the end of the year.

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

The route tree Daboll employs is frustrating. Curls, comebacks, and quick outs can really back a blitz/heavy pass rush off - or simply just running the ball.

2 minutes ago, billspro said:

I agree, if we called some timely screens against the Blitz they would have backed off. The screen game has been pathetic this year.

The screen game's been pathetic every year for like 20 years. It boggles the mind that not ONE Bills regime in that time could successfully run them.

• Like (+1) 6