Buccaneers waived CB Vernon Hargreaves

Mopreme

Just now, Mopreme said:

Former first round pick. I understand that he has not played well but perhaps an upgrade over Levi Wallace?  Maybe change of scenery does the trick? 

I would claim him, and there are 4-5 players that can walk to make the room for him

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, CEN-CAL17 said:

A high level potential CB won’t make it past the bottom 10 on waiver priority. No way do the Bills have a shot.

Probably don't, But still put in the paperwork.  Just like people though with Gordon and yet we didn't claim him either and Seattle got a top end 50/50 catch WR (man we could use one of them)

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Mopreme said:

Former first round pick. I understand that he has not played well but perhaps an upgrade over Levi Wallace?  Maybe change of scenery does the trick? 

I think pretty much anyone would be an upgrade over Wallace at this point. The question would be, how good is Hargreaves against the run? Since he wouldn't be expected to be a #1 corner here.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Luka said:

I think pretty much anyone would be an upgrade over Wallace at this point. The question would be, how good is Hargreaves against the run? Since he wouldn't be expected to be a #1 corner here.

ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS

Premier, quick twitch athlete with explosion pulsing through his hips and feet. Instant click-­and-­close action to explode forward and attack the throw. Vertical springs to go up and over receivers at the high point. Smooth, controlled backpedal with ability to weave and mirror route progressions. Plays with outstanding body control and balance. Feet are electric. Can overwhelm lesser opponents across from him. Instinctive and urgent in his play. Excels from press, off or zone coverage. Fiery competitor with a strong desire to own the pass. Has quick, soft hands. Posted 38 passes defensed and 10 interceptions over last three years. Could see early kick or punt return action. Unwilling to stay blocked and doesn't hesitate for one moment in run support and against wide receiver screens. Chest­-up tackler who runs through his target.

WEAKNESSES

Lean, wiry frame. Aggressive nature allows teams to bait him with double moves. Quicker than fast and doesn't have closing speed to make mistakes underneath and still recover on top. Allowed 16.5 yards per completion this season. Scouts worry about his height outside. Big receivers will pose a challenge on the next level. Had his two worst games of the season in SEC Championship game against Alabama and Citrus Bowl against Michigan. Willingness to throw body around in run support could cause him to break down.

DRAFT PROJECTION

Round 1

NFL COMPARISON

Joe Haden

BOTTOM LINE

While scouts have voiced some concerns about Hargreaves' size and recovery speed, you won't find anyone who doesn't admire his competitiveness and consistency of production. Hargreaves has a level of suddenness and explosiveness in his movements that should always have him near the ball. With top-notch ball skills and exceptional instincts that drew praise from Alabama's Nick Saban, Hargreaves possesses the football makeup to become a Pro Bowl cornerback.

Edited by MAJBobby

2 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS

Premier, quick twitch athlete with explosion pulsing through his hips and feet. Instant click-­and-­close action to explode forward and attack the throw. Vertical springs to go up and over receivers at the high point. Smooth, controlled backpedal with ability to weave and mirror route progressions. Plays with outstanding body control and balance. Feet are electric. Can overwhelm lesser opponents across from him. Instinctive and urgent in his play. Excels from press, off or zone coverage. Fiery competitor with a strong desire to own the pass. Has quick, soft hands. Posted 38 passes defensed and 10 interceptions over last three years. Could see early kick or punt return action. Unwilling to stay blocked and doesn't hesitate for one moment in run support and against wide receiver screens. Chest­-up tackler who runs through his target.

WEAKNESSES

Lean, wiry frame. Aggressive nature allows teams to bait him with double moves. Quicker than fast and doesn't have closing speed to make mistakes underneath and still recover on top. Allowed 16.5 yards per completion this season. Scouts worry about his height outside. Big receivers will pose a challenge on the next level. Had his two worst games of the season in SEC Championship game against Alabama and Citrus Bowl against Michigan. Willingness to throw body around in run support could cause him to break down.

DRAFT PROJECTION

Round 1

NFL COMPARISON

Joe Haden

BOTTOM LINE

While scouts have voiced some concerns about Hargreaves' size and recovery speed, you won't find anyone who doesn't admire his competitiveness and consistency of production. Hargreaves has a level of suddenness and explosiveness in his movements that should always have him near the ball. With top-notch ball skills and exceptional instincts that drew praise from Alabama's Nick Saban, Hargreaves possesses the football makeup to become a Pro Bowl cornerback.

He was excellent for the Gators but I meant more over the last few seasons in the NFL. I'm surprised to see he was cut for "lack of hustle." Attitude problem or unable to perform at this level?

Edited by Luka

Just now, Luka said:

He was excellent for the Gators but I meant more over the last few seasons in the NFL. I'm surprised to see he was cut for "lack of hustle." Attitude problem or unable to perform at this level?

There was a Work ethic Problem.  Same things that were said about Fitzpatrick out of MIA.  Get him in a different city and now look at Fitzpatrick.  There is ZERO Risk and a HIGH reward (Like Gordon) they SHOULD put a claim in for him.

Remember TB picked up his 5th year Option for a Reason.

Edited by MAJBobby
  • Like (+1) 2

Just now, MAJBobby said:

There was a Work ethic Problem.  Same things that were said about Fitzpatrick out of MIA.  Get him in a different city and now look at Fitzpatrick.  There is ZERO Risk and a HIGH reward (Like Gordon) they SHOULD put a claim in for him.

Remember TB picked up his 5th year Option for a Reason.

The Bills should definitely have a claim in, just like they should have for Josh. Worries me that Beane has started to sit back and not do anything. This roster is far from complete.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Luka said:

The Bills should definitely have a claim in, just like they should have for Josh. Worries me that Beane has started to sit back and not do anything. This roster is far from complete.

He is doing what McConsrvative wants him to do.  See that is the problem hiring the GM after the HC and having BOTH report directly to Ownership.  If there is a disagreement who wins?  McConservative does

2 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

He is doing what McConsrvative wants him to do.  See that is the problem hiring the GM after the HC and having BOTH report directly to Ownership.  If there is a disagreement who wins?  McConservative does

Wich is crazy to me. Wasn't that the situation with Whaley and Marrone also? Not a sustainable organization model. GM and scouts gotta be able to have more input than that.

1 minute ago, Luka said:

Wich is crazy to me. Wasn't that the situation with Whaley and Marrone also? Not a sustainable organization model. GM and scouts gotta be able to have more input than that.

Yep same reporting model with Whaley and Marrone and Whaley and Rex

If by some chance he falls to the Bills, they should grab him immediately. He's a big talent upgrade over Johnson, if nothing else, and will give Wallace competition. 

Regarding Wallace, he's had a tough couple of games, but his overall performance is moderately OK. He played well early on, and players at the CB position do have ups and downs. But he's physically overmatched too often.

Interesting fact: he's the fifth most targeted CB in the NFL in 2019, and has given up the fifth most receptions. Part of that comes from playing across from Tre White, of course. But if he's the fifth most targeted guy and giving up the fifth most receptions, that tells me he's average. 

Edited by dave mcbride

32 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Simple as that, huh? :lol:

32 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

I think the bigger question driving the conversation is whether he's a good matchup zone player. If he is, than I suspect McDermott will take him seriously. The fall-off in Wallace's play has to be concerning for him.