Bengals release Preston Brown

YoloinOhio

Just now, Seoulofstone said:

Right but equally it could have been a complete failure right? McVay is absolutely the exception to the norm. Even he walked into a team boasting the best RB and DT in the league with an enormous cap space? Since then they have made a bunch of flashy trades given out some bad contracts- Goff, Gurley for win now at the expense of the future. Now they are in cap hell and they aren't a contender. The first time he played BB he got embarrassed. How would he have done year 1 in Buffalo? Playoffs you think?

They need to set up an infrastructure first. I completely agree that they need to invest in O. I think most people on this board would agree, the only exception being pass rush.

I know that you won't accept ending the playoff drought as significant. But contrast the Bills future with the Rams. One team has scope to be better, the other has no wiggle room with the cap and FA, a retiring LT with no high draft capital, a broken RB and wishy washy QB. It was fun for the fans while it lasted but how many more SBs did McVay win from a much better starting point?

Cap hell is a joke.  Every Year teams are talked about in cap hell and sign players. 

What infrastructure needs to be set up in using your picks in the draft you Drafted your QB to support your QB?

No the playoff drought was a joke, but cool it is gone, what lives is the 23 year since a playoff win.  So to say one is significant while ignoring the one that is REALLY the issue is well disingenuous.  

I am willing to Bet the Rams win a playoff game before the Bills do

9 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Cap hell is a joke.  Every Year teams are talked about in cap hell and sign players. 

Sure you can push back money but in the end the bill comes due.

What infrastructure needs to be set up in using your picks in the draft you Drafted your QB to support your QB?

Glad you asked. The responsible way to run a franchise is through the draft retaining the best players. NE has been doing this for years. It creates an environment of stability..

The irresponsible way is to go Bill OBrien and give up future draft picks to win now and mortgage the future while at the same time failing to achieve a SB. 3 years ago LAR and HT had great players and a ton of cap. Now they can say their teams have looked good during that time but they didn't win. Whoever picks up the job when they leave will have to tear it all down to have a chance to reset. That is the situation McD inherited. That's why it's unfair to assume McVay would have walked in and taken the Bills to a Superbowl.

HC gets to choose O or D. Obviously fans want O but then our job isn't resting on the outcome is it?

I am willing to Bet the Rams win a playoff game before the Bills do

As a Bills fan that saddens me. 

4 minutes ago, Seoulofstone said:

Sure you can push back money but in the end the bill comes due.

Glad you asked. The responsible way to run a franchise is through the draft retaining the best players. NE has been doing this for years. It creates an environment of stability..

The irresponsible way is to go Bill OBrien and give up future draft picks to win now and mortgage the future while at the same time failing to achieve a SB. 3 years ago LAR and HT had great players and a ton of cap. Now they can say their teams have looked good during that time but they didn't win. Whoever picks up the job when they leave will have to tear it all down to have a chance to reset. That is the situation McD inherited. That's why it's unfair to assume McVay would have walked in and taken the Bills to a Superbowl.

HC gets to choose O or D. Obviously fans want O but then our job isn't resting on the outcome is it?

As a Bills fan that saddens me. 

NE routinely trades for players. 

19 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

NE routinely trades for players. 

How is their cap space? When was the last time BB used a future 1st to pick up a player? He plays the comp pick game to perfection so he nearly always has extra picks anyway. Example-release Jamie Collins pick up comp 3. Collins misused at Cleveland. Cut. Pat's pickup on waivers. Best NE LB this year?

Edited by Seoulofstone

1 minute ago, Seoulofstone said:

When was the last time BB used a future 1st to pick up a player? He plays the comp pick game to perfection so he nearly always has extra picks anyway. How is their cap space? 

sure it was what 2017 a first and a 3rd for Brandon Cooks 

2017 traded a 2nd for Kony Ealy. There are a ton of history of them even recent trading high picks for players 

10 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

sure it was what 2017 a first and a 3rd for Brandon Cooks 

2017 traded a 2nd for Kony Ealy. There are a ton of history of them even recent trading high picks for players 

Ok. But they won a SB that year and then got MORE in return the following year from LA. Ealy was a disaster but like I said they have so many comp picks it barely makes a difference. They are in a position to afford to take a gamble because of the stability of their organizational model. They aren't leaving themselves without draft capital or sailing close to the cap. 

Anyway I enjoyed this but it's time for tacos 

On topic- Preston Brown is not the answer.

Edited by Seoulofstone

7 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Do it.  Put him at the Mike and move Edmunds to the Elephant role, let him rush the passer where he has a chance to be ELITE.  You want to shake things up and tilt the field a bit?  Time to make a move, McBeane.

You mean bring back the guy who watched Gronk put a forearm into the back of Tre Whites neck and not do a damn thing about it? Yeah let's bring his candy*** back  ?

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Am I so still waiting on your take on Julian Stanford and Corey Thomas being better depth than Brown.  Dont worry I know I wont get that either.

I think they both know the defense better, they are both more mobile in the passing game, and I don’t see Brown being an upgrade in the run defense based on watching him here for several years.

Am I so still waiting?  As I said above folks, you can’t make this stuff up.

3 hours ago, MJS said:

I don't even even think he's a good run stuffer. He's more like an aggregate tackler. Always in the vicinity making clean up tackles, but never actually making impact plays.

He's a perfect backup, though. Not good enough to start, but a consistent body that can make backles.

Fixed it.

On 11/12/2019 at 10:35 AM, SydneyBillsFan said:

Wasn't he the number one ranked tackler in the NFL in 2017?

He must have dropped right off the edge of the cliff this year.

Actually he made more tackles in partial year this year than he did last year but he only played 7 games last year for he ended up on injured reserve with a knee injury last season,.

He fell off a cliff on tackling when he left Buffalo.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/bengals-cut-preston-brown-less-than-a-year-after-signing-him-to-a-three-year-16-5-million-deal/

From 2014-17, he racked up 505 total tackles -- only two All-Pro players, Bobby Wagner and Luke Kuechly, had more in that span. 

Defense & Fumbles

Games Def Interceptions Fumbles   Tackles    
Year Age Tm Pos No. G GS Int Yds TD Lng PD FF Fmb FR Yds TD Sk Comb Solo Ast TFL QBHits Sfty AV
Career       80 77 5 66 1 43 14 3 0 5 30 0 1.0 599 342 257 21 12   34
4 yrs BUF     64 62 3 46 1 43 10 2 0 4 30 0 1.0 505 289 216 21 12   31
2 yrs CIN     16 15 2 20 0 18 4 1 0 1 0 0   94 53 41 0 0   3
2014 22 BUF LB 52 16 14 1 0 0 0 2 0 0 1 30 0   109 66 43 6 1   8
2015 23 BUF MLB 52 16 16 2 46 1 43 4 1 0 1 0 0   117 63 54 3 6   9
2016 24 BUF MLB 52 16 16 0 0 0 0 1 1 0 2 0 0 1.0 135 76 59 5 3   7
2017 25 BUF lb/MLB 52 16 16 0 0 0 0 3             144 84 60 7 2   7
2018 26 CIN lb/mlb 52 7 7 2 20 0 18 4             42 27 15 0 0   3
2019 27 CIN LB 52 9 8           1 0 1 0 0   52 26 26 0 0