Bengals release Preston Brown

YoloinOhio

Just now, BADOLBILZ said:

The guy you are arguing with is in that stage where he thinks he knows something but is getting continuously proven wrong by the results time and again.     He's like C.Biscuit circa Jauron days.  

Letting Gilmore leave was dumb.   Not even tagging him was dumber.   It was a fear of keeping players who had leverage on the organization.

That reflected a weakness in McDermott.   It's hard to win if you are afraid to deal with some star talent that you didn't develop and personally bring into the organization.

What Beane and McDermott did in cleaning house was the "organizational" equivalent of forcing your scheme on talent who didn't match it.   They decided they had to fix everything, even the stuff that wasn't broke like Lynn's offense and a bunch of good young talent just hitting their prime.

That's why they are in year 3 and lack playmakers on both sides of the ball.   People hate the Jauron comparisons but not tagging Gilmore was right out of the Jauron/Levy playbook.    Not only did they not get an extra pick at least they THEN traded back out of position to select Mahomes or Watson to GET an extra pick and replace Gilmore.    Thankfully I was right about Tre White that he was the best CB in that draft(because Lattimore still can't stay healthy) otherwise imagine if they had selected a dud with that pick.:lol:

Yep the reality is this team three years after rebuilding is looking a lot like the teams they "rebuilt" from.  ALOT of treading water just for the sake of getting very specific scheme specific players.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MAJBobby said:

Got a 3rd and a WR for Darby (lesser player by alot)

He would have easily gotten a 1st.  But again just the short sightedness of McD

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/play-index/trade_finder.cgi?request=1&year_min=2016&year_max=2019&pos[]=cb&draft_pick_min=1&draft_pick_max=256&order_by=trans_date

Darby wasn't franchise tagged, he was simply traded on a light contract.  That's the difference. 

Trading for a guy that you also have to immediately pay makes a difference in what you are willing to give up.  It's happened this year and last, but wasn't the trend a few years back.  They may have gotten a 3rd for him, but with his comments about not wanting to really be here, I think the other teams would've had all the leverage and the Bills weren't going to play the Cousins game

Just now, Virgil said:

Darby wasn't franchise tagged, he was simply traded on a light contract.  That's the difference. 

Trading for a guy that you also have to immediately pay makes a difference in what you are willing to give up.  It's happened this year and last, but wasn't the trend a few years back.  They may have gotten a 3rd for him, but with his comments about not wanting to really be here, I think the other teams would've had all the leverage and the Bills weren't going to play the Cousins game

Revis was in the middle of a Hold out and had very similar stats and was a 1st and a 4th in 2013.  Sorry Gilmore WOULD have gotten a 1st. 

19 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Prediction 1: Broncos game vs the legendary Brandon Allen at QB, Philip Lindsay and Royce Freeman will combine for 150+ yards rushing

Prediction 2: Cowboys game, Ezekiel Elliot alone will rush for 130+ yards. 

Prediction 3: you will be clamoring for help —

any kind of help! — to plug the hole in our run defense. 

And Brown would not help any of that.  Do you recall watching Preston Brown play for the Bills? He made a lot of tackles but invariably far off the line of scrimmage.  So even if your predictions are true, I don't see your point.

And even if your predictions are right, if the Bills win each game, which I think they will, who cares?

43 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

There was Josh Gordon, but didnt fit the "culture" I guess

I’m not as dismissive of the “culture” point as some others, particularly the Mike Schopp’s of the world. However, I agree that they might be taking it too far. The beauty of the Patriots there is that culture means doing what your job is, be accountable, and work hard. They have enough vets and credibility to enforce it. With the bills, at this point you should have enough vets and credibility with the team to take on a chance guy like Gordon. Especially because if it doesn’t work you, you cut him and move on with no repercussions. 

1 minute ago, dubs said:

I’m not as dismissive of the “culture” point as some others, particularly the Mike Schopp’s of the world. However, I agree that they might be taking it too far. The beauty of the Patriots there is that culture means doing what your job is, be accountable, and work hard. They have enough vets and credibility to enforce it. With the bills, at this point you should have enough vets and credibility with the team to take on a chance guy like Gordon. Especially because if it doesn’t work you, you cut him and move on with no repercussions. 

agree what point is having that strong lockerroom and culture if you cannot bring in a troubled talent and maybe have that culture flip his switch. 

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Letting Gilmore leave was dumb.   Not even tagging him was dumber.   It was a fear of keeping players who had leverage on the organization.

That reflected a weakness in McDermott.   It's hard to win if you are afraid to deal with some star talent that you didn't develop and personally bring into the organization.

What Beane and McDermott did in cleaning house was the "organizational" equivalent of forcing your scheme on talent who didn't match it.   They decided they had to fix everything, even the stuff that wasn't broke like Lynn's offense and a bunch of good young talent just hitting their prime.

@JoshAllenHasBigHands  Funny how this has turned from a Preston Brown thread to a criticism of McDermott thread. I see a few people with agendas second guessing past events with the help of hindsight. 

Maybe with hindsight tag and trade might have worked. I'm not willing to agree that someone would have given a first. Maybe-but its pure speculation. Clowney, Clark and Ford were all proven assets on contending teams. Gilmore had good and bad flashes on a non-contender. Would it have been preferable had he not gone to NE? Absolutely. Should they have let a guy who many now consider to be #1 CB in the league go in FA? Absolutely not, although we shouldn't ignore here that the Bills were close to the cap and it appears that McD didn't want to keep him. However, Is it really a given that he would have done as well as he has had he gone to any other team than NE?

@BADOLBILZ To your point of weakness on the part of McD I would say that it shows the opposite. Due to brave decisions removing beloved Bills icons in his first year as a rookie head coach -(Watkins, Dareus, Gilmore), McD was able to end the drought and build a team that he wanted to represent him. You are basing your criticism of those moves on what those players went on to become rather than on what the Bills went on to become. That tells me everything about where your loyalties lie.

Edited by Seoulofstone

2 minutes ago, Seoulofstone said:

@JoshAllenHasBigHands  Funny how this has turned from a Preston Brown thread to a criticism of McDermott thread. I see a few people with agendas second guessing past events with the help of hindsight. 

Maybe with hindsight tag and trade might have worked. I'm not willing to agree that someone would have given a first. Maybe-but its pure speculation. Clowney, Clark and Ford were all proven assets on contending teams. Gilmore had good and bad flashes on a non-contender. Is it really a given that he would have done as well as he has had he gone to any other team than NE?

@BADOLBILZ To your point of weakness on the part of McD I would say that it shows the opposite. Due to brave decisions removing beloved Bills icons in his first year as a rookie head coach -(Watkins, Dareus, Gilmore), McD was able to end the drought and build a team that he wanted to represent him. You are basing your criticism of those moves on what those players went on to become rather than on what the Bills went on to become. That tells me everything about where your loyalties lie.

23 years since a playoff win. Nah Drought still alive and well. 

2 minutes ago, Seoulofstone said:

Maybe with hindsight tag and trade might have worked. I'm not willing to agree that someone would have given a first. Maybe-but its pure speculation. Clowney, Clark and Ford were all proven assets on contending teams. Gilmore had good and bad flashes on a non-contender. Is it really a given that he would have done as well as he has had he gone to any other team than NE?

Few things frustrate me more than wildly baseless assumptions being used to criticize a coaching staff. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

23 years since a playoff win. Nah Drought still alive and well. 

Because it's not enough to make progress? If he gets to the playoffs this year that's twice in 3 years after a 20 year hiatus for a rookie head coach going to a serially underachieving team in cap hell. But yeah obviously hes doing a terrible job.

Edited by Seoulofstone

1 minute ago, Seoulofstone said:

Because it's not enough to make progress? If he gets to the playoffs this year that's twice in 3 years after a 20 year hiatus for a rookie head coach going to a serially underachieving team in cap hell. But yeah obviously hes doing a terrible job.

You are responding to a blow hard take. That dude is fake as hell. 

11 minutes ago, Seoulofstone said:

year three still talking about the cap He’ll they created themselves. Awesome we are back to we’re we were before the rebuild. A crap Offense and a decent defense TREADING WATER 

10 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

I notice you still have yet to provide ANY data to your point. And I am fake ha ha ha ha 

Edited by MAJBobby

18 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

I get that fans want better. I do. The Bills look unconvincing for a 6-3 team. Casual fans want to see Mahomes at QB, Julio at WR, Mack at DE. I mean who wouldn't? I do think in hindsight getting absolutely nothing for Gilmore looks bad. But its hard to criticise without context. McD coming to an old underachieving team in cap hell made decisions which upset Bills fans. He hasn't been forgiven for those decisions and won't be until fans see success. A lot of people are all or nothing and they perceive gradual improvement as failure because they compare what they have to the very best.

9 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

year three still talking about the cap He’ll they created themselves 

Except that they aren't anymore are they? Because of tough decisions like Gilmore. And the dead cap sacrifice last year. If McD fails the rest of this year and the team doesn't make the postseason then he is let go, he will still have broken the playoff drought and leave behind a much younger team with a strong D and with cap space. 

Edited by Seoulofstone

1 hour ago, dubs said:

Are there any impact WRs on waivers?  Or anyone that can improve the offense. That’s all that matters at this point. 

That ship sailed when they passed on Josh Gordon.

I know most Bills fans didn't watch that epic Seattle/SF game last night but Gordon stepped in cold and got open and caught a couple slants that nobody on the Bills WR corps could have.    The second one was 3 feet from his body at hip level in heavy traffic and he caught it in stride in his hands like someone soft tossed him a loaf of bread.    And btw the dude can run 22mph on a go route too.  

Contrast that to the punt returner the Bills were trying to throw over the middle to in Cleveland who slowed down and tried to body catch a ball that was nowhere near his body.   A ball he should have been able to catch in stride and run with.   That was a good look for McBeane and Bills WR coach Chad Hall.   Lofton offered to help them out with the "minor" technique issue tho that was nice.