10 decision coins: Josh Allen

rayray808

You are in a room with the owners, GM, and head coach. Each of you have 10 coins in your hand, and must place them in one of two places on the table.

LEFT SIDE: We continue to put energy and resources towards Josh Allen. Win or lose this year, he is our starter this year and next. We are confident he can be the guy.

RIGHT SIDE: It is time to start planning for another QB. It has been 20 games, and his perceived strengths (strong arm to cut through weather, long ball for the HR, can run the ball) are actually his weaknesses.

How are you spreading out your 10 coins?

**for me: 8 coins left, 2 coins right

• Like (+1) 1

I'll bite:  I would put all ten coins on Allen.  We really have no choice do we?  Doing anything other then that AT THIS POINT is the sign of a dysfunctional organization and a guarantee that the Bills will remain on the outside looking in for the next decade at playoff time.

And for the record Allen has shown more then enough to justify a continued investment.  And in today's NFL and when dealing with a QB that means you have to be ALL IN.

• Like (+1) 10
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, rayray808 said:

You are in a room with the owners, GM, and head coach. Each of you have 10 coins in your hand, and must place them in one of two places on the table.

LEFT SIDE: We continue to put energy and resources towards Josh Allen. Win or lose this year, he is our starter this year and next. We are confident he can be the guy.

RIGHT SIDE: It is time to start planning for another QB. It has been 20 games, and his perceived strengths (strong arm to cut through weather, long ball for the HR, can run the ball) are actually his weaknesses.

How are you spreading out your 10 coins?

**for me: 8 coins left, 2 coins right

I am putting all 10 Coins in the bin that is Hire an Offensive Consultant and allow that senior Offensive Guru to Hire the next OC

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

1 minute ago, CincyBillsFan said:

I'll bite:  I would put all ten coins on Allen.  We really have no choice do we?  Doing anything other then that AT THIS POINT is the sign of a dysfunctional organization and a guarantee that the Bills will remain on the outside looking in for the next decade at playoff time.

And for the record Allen has shown more then enough to justify a continued investment.  And in today's NFL and when dealing with a QB that means you have to be ALL IN.

I agree with you, but after a loss the usual suspects are going to be making hay. Even after a win they are questioning Allen when most of the questioning should be directed towards the coaching staff imo. Allen is certainly not a sure thing, but I think he is likely to end up very good if developed correctly with more resources devoted to getting elite playmakers while he is growing into the kind of qb that can carry a team. It's not a good sign, however, that the coaching staff appears to be coaching all the bravado out of him.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

I agree with you, but after a loss the usual suspects are going to be making hay. Even after a win they are questioning Allen when most of the questioning should be directed towards the coaching staff imo. Allen is certainly not a sure thing, but I think he is likely to end up very good if developed correctly with more resources devoted to getting elite playmakers while he is growing into the kind of qb that can carry a team. It's not a good sign, however, that the coaching staff appears to be coaching all the bravado out of him.

That's the problem with fans in general and Bill's fans in particular.  I get it because we all have some version of football related PTSS after watching the Bills lose 4 straight Super Bowls and then not make the playoffs for 20 straight years.  Some of us express it with to much optimism while others descend into to much negativism.

But watching last nights game and seeing all the mistakes Jimmy G made and even mistakes made by the likely MVP Russel Wilson and we're just to critical of Allen and we are to obsessive over each & every play the guy makes or doesn't make. 

• Like (+1) 8
  • Thank you (+1) 3

53 minutes ago, teef said:

the coins would be better spent on cocaine and hookers.

I am with you as long as one of the hookers can consistently hit a thirty yard down and out and another can make 50 yd field goals..not sure about the cocaine..ten coins is only going to get you some badly cut stuff

• Haha (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

We have a choice. I would take a run at Dalton for 2 years 25M-ish total contract. Put some resources into better OT play and a WR too. If Josh looks the same next year as he does this year I pull the trigger sometime between week 4-6. Dalton starts for 1.5 years. You take a QB 2021 to sit. The regime cannot afford to whiff without an immediate replacement plan in 2020/2021.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

You keep investing in the offense. If Allen can’t take advantage of the added talent then hopefully the next guy we draft will. 

Allen is the starter this year and likely heading into next. If things stay just as they are with him then we can say it’s time to move on. Come next year the leash should be shorter.

• Thank you (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

That's the problem with fans in general and Bill's fans in particular.  I get it because we all have some version of football related PTSS after watching the Bills lose 4 straight Super Bowls and then not make the playoffs for 20 straight years.  Some of us express it with to much optimism while others descend into to much negativism.

But watching last nights game and seeing all the mistakes Jimmy G made and even mistakes made by the likely MVP Russel Wilson and we're just to critical of Allen and we are to obsessive over each & every play the guy makes or doesn't make. 

Agreed. I’ve come away from games with similar opinions of Wentz, definitely Rivers, Geoff, Ben, Rodgers, Stafford (I belive where josh can get to)  and probably all the other guys too. 

Josh has the tools to at least become an average to above average NFL starter and his arm is sick. It’s going to take some time, and the right coaching and some really good WR talent. Stop with this deep ball nonsense, spread the field and let him rifle fast balls sideline to sideline 0-20 yards downfield. 

McDermott seems the right guy to me.  I understand the feeling Daboll may not be. I’m getting there myself. 

• Like (+1) 1

Wow............. A new and creative way to discuss moving on from Josh Allen before the end of his 2nd year when he has shown improvement , that he is a clutch performer, and the team is 6-3. Awesome. 

9 minutes ago, H2o said:

Wow............. A new and creative way to discuss moving on from Josh Allen before the end of his 2nd year when he has shown improvement , that he is a clutch performer, and the team is 6-3. Awesome. 

How could we move on from Tyrod when he helped end the drought and went to the Pro-Bowl!?

At some point people will stop hiding behind our record as if things are fine. We have legit issues on offense and Allen is part of them. Sure, he’s shown improvement in certain areas but it’s not like he’s playing great either. I’m not saying we should move on from him this year (I’ve said the opposite actually) but if things stay the same and we miss the playoffs after such a strong start then the questions surrounding Allen and this offense are only going to pile up. I assume he’ll be on a short leash next year either way.

Edited by Bangarang
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

How could we move on from Tyrod when he helped end the drought and went to the Pro-Bowl!?

At some point people will stop hiding behind our record as if things are fine. We have legit issues on offense and Allen is part of them. Sure, he’s shown improvement in certain areas but it’s not like he’s playing great either. I’m not saying we should move on from him this year (I’ve said the opposite actually) but if things stay the same and we miss the playoffs after such a strong start then the questions surrounding Allen and this offense are only going to pile up. I assume he’ll be on a short leash next year either way.

No one is saying it's a bed of roses and I am surely not hiding behind our record. I am also not saying that Allen hasn't shown flaws. I am though however part of the crowd that thinks the OC is more of the problem than the QB. Again, there was a post by Gugny last week about Daboll not calling a game that keeps Allen in any kind of rhythm. This is spot on. How many good looking drives have we had where we march down the field, put up 7, and then Daboll never goes back to ANY OF IT for the rest of the game? How many 3rd and shorts have we had where Daboll has EVERY receiver running patterns 15 or more yards down the field? The designed QB runs he goes to the well on too often or at the most inopportune of moments? They need to incorporate the intermediate stuff because he is showing much better on that this year, but let the young man be himself. Let him run on his own, let him ad lib against the defense, let him trust himself, and let him go out and make plays. Actually call a game suited to what he's doing well and stop trying to fit a square peg in a round hole. Seems pretty simple to me and I'm sure there are people smart enough to do just that, but Daboll isn't one of them.