How is Sean McDermott like Dick Jauron?

SoTier

Let me count the ways ...

McDermott plays not to lose just like Jauron.  Conservative game calling and playing for a break to win on a late FG hasn't been a successful formula for winning in the NFL for a couple of decades at least.

McDermott wants a bend not break defense and an offense that plays it safe so it doesn't lose the game. 

McDermott's clock management, especially at the end of first halves and games, is mediocre at best and frequently inept as it was at the end of the game Sunday.

McDermott intersperses his usual conservative game plan with a series or two of stupidly aggressive calls.

McDermott favors players who fit his narrow view of "character" over players with significantly more talent who may march to a different drummer.  He doesn't seem to have much tolerance for differences.

McDermott favors undersized defensive players.

McDermott doesn't seem to understand or care about offense, underscored by his poor choice of offensive coaches and the lack of playmakers on the offense.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Call him out for legit reasons such as mistakes with the clock or pulling back too much on the last drive yesterday, but to claim that he just doesn’t care about the offense at all and doesn’t hire well is simplistic and disingenuous, sorry. I’m also not aware that Jauron ever led the Bills to a winning record and/or playoff berth during his ignominious tenure here? 

• Like (+1) 4

@SoTier, are you perchance well-acquainted with @BADOLBILZ?

I don't think points 1 and 2 are correct.  

-In what world is Going for it on 4th down 2x last week on offense called Jauronesque?  Do you actually remember?  You actually contradict yourself with point 4.  They're stupid because they didn't work, but they are aggressive calls Jauron would never make.

-McDermott is pretty clear that he wants his D to be an attacking D, they just don't quite have the hosses to pull that off while retaining sound run D.  So they fall back on stopping the bleeding. They're running their 2nd string 1-gap with Harrison IR'd, and they need an edge.

The "favors undersized defensive players", show your work, say who you mean?  Edmunds is a monster.  Jordan Phillips ain't nicknamed "tid-bit"

Likewise "favors character over significantly more talent", show your work, say who you mean?

On clock management and care about offense, fair cop and he needs to step up or he'll fail.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

10 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Let me count the ways ...

McDermott plays not to lose just like Jauron.  Conservative game calling and playing for a break to win on a late FG hasn't been a successful formula for winning in the NFL for a couple of decades at least.

McDermott wants a bend not break defense and an offense that plays it safe so it doesn't lose the game. 

McDermott's clock management, especially at the end of first halves and games, is mediocre at best and frequently inept as it was at the end of the game Sunday.

McDermott intersperses his usual conservative game plan with a series or two of stupidly aggressive calls.

McDermott favors players who fit his narrow view of "character" over players with significantly more talent who may march to a different drummer.  He doesn't seem to have much tolerance for differences.

McDermott favors undersized defensive players.

McDermott doesn't seem to understand or care about offense, underscored by his poor choice of offensive coaches and the lack of playmakers on the offense.

I don't know exactly what you're trying to prove here but McD is nothing, repeat, nothing like Jauron. I know he isn't doing the greatest job but he is and has been much better then Jauron.

it's one thing to put down the coach but you are really reaching here.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Defensively, McD's background is in the secondary and,  in their first off-season prioritized remaking that unit during his.  McD chose to sign Hyde, Poyer, and draft Tre White.  No one can argue with those players being solid if not excellent players.

In that way he's similar to Jauron, who spent a lot of resources in his first off-season finding secondary help.  That said, DJ wasn't as successful with his personnel decisions there.

Where they aren't similar is that during DJ's tenure, the Bills spent less than most of their opponents.  McD doesn't have that issue because the Pegula's have proven they'll spend.

I think their overall team philosophy is similar because they wanted/want to lead with defense while having a conservative offense that takes few risks. 

Jauron 24-33 (.421) with Buffalo and NEVER MADE THE POST SEASON.  His D was ranked 10, 18, 14, and 16.  O ranked 23, 30, 23, 28.

McD is 21-20 (.512) with Buffalo and at this pace will be above .500 after 57 games.  One post season appearance.  His D ranked 18, 18 and 3*. His O ranked 22, 30, and 25*.

So the common theme I see for both Men is both had good enough defense to win ball games but neither one had a good enough offense.  The lack of an established starting QB hurt Jauron (Losman/Edwards 2006-2008 then Fitz in 2009) and has also hurt Mc D. However, Mc D has the upside of Allen working in his favor but needs a solid O coordinator to get the offense moving in the right direction.

• Like (+1) 3

9 minutes ago, HeHateMe said:

He wants to win games 13-10 every week.

If by He you mean Jauron, then sure I might buy what you’re peddling. But I’m quite sure the Bills didn’t draft Allen in a trade up to 7 overall, just because McD wants to win by 3 pts as you put it, 13-10. That makes zero sense. Don’t forget he learned at the feet of Andy Reid and was part of a prolific Panthers team as well. Cool those oven mitts before handing off the hot potato take please. 

Edited by NoHuddleKelly12

24 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

If by He you mean Jauron, then sure I might buy what you’re peddling. But I’m quite sure the Bills didn’t draft Allen in a trade up to 7 overall, just because McD wants to win by 3 pts as you put it, 13-10. That makes zero sense. Don’t forget he learned at the feet of Andy Reid and was part of a prolific Panthers team as well. Cool those oven mitts before handing off the hot potato take please. 

McDermott is scared of his own shadow... dude never plays for points at the end of halves and admitted to trying to just get the FG at the end vs CLE.. he coaches to not lose!!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

First some reflections on Dick Jauron...

I will have to admit that I was one of Jauron's biggest defenders back in the day. He admittedly had his shortcomings ("It's just so hard to win in the NFL"), but given the terrible talent that he had at his disposal (especially on offense) during his tenure here, he did a decent job maximizing what he had at his disposal and -- dare I say -- overachieved. He was a very good coach for a BAD football team. That is, his highly conservative game plans helped to hide some of the dearth of talent that the teams had on offense in those days.

Let's not forget what a pariah Buffalo was considered back then with Ralph and Marv in charge. They had trouble attracting top coaching candidates, especially with Ralph's refusal at the time to pay top dollar. Donahoe had just been fired -- and he was a darling of the media, so friends of his like Chris Mortenson heavily criticized the Bills for letting him go. Mike Mularkey had just quit. So, frankly the team had to scrape the bottom of the barrel for either retreads or under-qualified assistants. Jauron was the former.

When Jauron took over in 2006, his starting QB was JP Losman! To have gone 7-9 with Losman as your QB for all 16 games and somehow manage to finish 7-9 says something about maximizing the talent on hand. The 2007 team, I believe, set the record at the time for the most players placed on IR during the season. The QB situation that season consisted of the two-headed monster of JP and Trent. Jauron was actually in the running for Coach of the Year in some circles for getting that (again) under-talented and injury-plagued team to 7-9.

Of course, the rails really started to come off the following season, when the team started strong out of the gates -- and fizzled after the hot start. The following season, when the team started slowly, Jauron was a dead man walking with billboards everywhere begging Ralph to fire him. of course, he didn't last the season.

Jauron Ball is NOT a bad thing when you have a pretty good defense and are trying to hide lacking talent on offense. To a certain extent that is the measure that McD used his first year here with Tyrod. In fact, Tyrod was meant for Jauron Ball with his Just-Don't-Make-a-Mistake mentality. You could even argue that if Jaron had Tyrod as his QB back when he was here, those Bills may have actually squeaked into the playoffs...

That said, despite the credit I give Jauron for maximizing the talent he had -- what he really did was minimize the ramifications for the LACK of talent. That is why he was good at managing a BAD team -- but uninspiring when leading a team with better talent. He was only capable of taking a team so far.

I get the comparisons to McD. Both are defensive-minded head coaches, and both pretty much let their OC's handle the offense. McD is by nature conservative -- but not to the extent that Jauron was. Jauron was a fan of Run-Run-Pass -- whereas, one of our big criticisms of the offense this year has been the play-calling in which the running game has been neglected. Also, McD is a much bigger fan of going for it on 4th down. Jauron once infamously punted from the 34 on 4th and 2 late in the 4th quarter and trailing.

Another fair comparison, I think, is that McD and Daboll have drilled it into Josh Allen's head to avoid making mistakes at all costs. Maybe it is time to relax a little and let the kid play. Yes, he needs to avoid making the lame "Hero Ball" plays like he did against the Pats, but over-emphasis on not making mistakes could certainly hold him back. It would also help if our OC would design and call plays in which the ball comes out of his hand quickly.

Just my two cents...

• Like (+1) 3

I don't struggle that much with many of these comparisons.  I wrote a post over the summer that outlined the ways that I wanted to see Sean McDermott improve.  

High on that list were game management, level of aggressiveness, and in-game adjustments.  We've seen some mild improvement in level of aggressiveness, but the other two remain sorely lacking.

I got flamed by some for suggesting that these were potentially fatal flaws that were putting a low ceiling on the overall success of this team.

Seems like this is playing out as advertised, so I'm asking the same questions I thought about several months ago:

How does this coach get better with addressing these pronounced deficiencies.  Because all the positiveness, "process", and focus on character and structure aren't getting it done

• Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, mushypeaches said:

I don't struggle that much with many of these comparisons.  I wrote a post over the summer that outlined the ways that I wanted to see Sean McDermott improve.  

High on that list were game management, level of aggressiveness, and in-game adjustments.  We've seen some mild improvement in level of aggressiveness, but the other two remain sorely lacking.

I got flamed by some for suggesting that these were potentially fatal flaws that were putting a low ceiling on the overall success of this team.

Seems like this is playing out as advertised, so I'm asking the same questions I thought about several months ago:

How does this coach get better with addressing these pronounced deficiencies.  Because all the positiveness, "process", and focus on character and structure aren't getting it done

I believe he has reached his ceiling as a HC, what you see is what you've got, unfortunately.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

I believe he has reached his ceiling as a HC, what you see is what you've got, unfortunately.

Has Josh Allen reached his ceiling as a QB?  If your answer is NO then how can you predict McD has reached his ceiling as HC?

Edited by Azucho98