Football Really Is About Minimizing Errors and Josh Allen

Casey D

50 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

he was playing for the Tie. McConservative confirmed it in post game comments. And once they hit the FG target line they went to short safe quick throw plays. 

I didn't know that as I didn't hear his post game. 

Him saying that tells me he isn't the coach to take this team to the next level let alone a super bowl. 

9 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

How do you know it was better?  Even if it gets the first down there's no way Beasley gets out of bounds and we're only talking about an extra 5 yards here.  The kick that I saw wouldn't have been good from 48 yards either.

IMO the BEST decision was to throw the ball ALONG the sidelines to a RB that is your best threat in space.  The failure to get out of bounds is what made that a bad play IMO.

It's better based on the defensive alignment immediately after the snap.  Cover 1 discussed the play and Turner's rationale is that Allen didn't like the 2 on 3 matchup on the left side.  But in reality it's a 2 on 2 because the safety is too deep.   Beasley is further upfield and is much closer to the sidelines than Singletary.

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Right.  So Evil Daboll and Mean Dorsey are insisting Josh not do those things. 

It's more subtle then that.  I suspect they've emphasized what they don't want to see happen and Allen has internalized it a bit to much.  Like everything there has to be a happy middle where both can happen in a game.

The reality is we are way over analyzing a single play.  I'm as guilty as the next poster but here we are spending PAGES of posts talking about a flare pass to the flat that gained 6 yards towards the end of the game.  This is all just a part of Allen and the offenses learning curve.  Allen IS improving AND we're smack dab in the middle of rebuilding our offense.  Things will be choppy for the rest of the season and it may cost us a one & out playoff appearance this year but the Bill's brain trust is moving towards bigger, better and more sustainable success in the future. 

1 hour ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Lamar Jackson’s wonderlic score was 13. Deshaun Watson had the lowest wonderlic score of his draft class. Josh Rosen scored higher than Patrick Mahomes.

Wonderlic is completely irrelevant.

There is not “substantial progress”. The offense is scoring less now than they did the first five games. Allen is regressing. Which is inexcusable.

Pretty much. The NFL is phasing it out due to bias. Although, it seems that a lot of GMs just use a baseline, and (IIRC) add 6-10 points to the score of prospects from poor socio-economic backgrounds. 

2 hours ago, poblano said:

No one is talking about those mistakes on defense, this game was full on missed tackles and poor tackling angles(several times by Edmunds).

defense held the browns to 19 points and scored 2 on their own. In today’s NFL you can’t expect more than that, especially against a talented team like the Browns. 

this game is ? % on the offense. Mostly Allen, some Daboll. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Casey D said:

Reading Jim Kubiak's weekly analysis of Allen's play in today's BN drives home that football is about mistakes and missed opportunities.  Allen fumbled and  missed several reads in the second half against the Browns-- mistakes and missed opportunities.  The Bills lost the game, Cleveland did little to win it.

That also explains why NE has been so good for two decades.  It's not that they are perfect, but Belichick and Brady don't make mistakes and they take full advantage of the opportunities presented to them.  Doing those two things leads to greatness.

All this gives me hope for Allen.  He is a smart guy and seems to work hard.  Right now, he makes too many mistakes ,e.g., fumbling, and passes on too many opportunities, e.g., missed reads, but with his inherent intelligence, I am hopeful that all he needs is continued experience to get there.  It is clear his skill set far exceeds past Buffalo QB failures, e.g. Tyrod, EJ, Losman etc., etc., and his problems seem like things that will get better as he gains experience.  Certainly he deserves a much longer rope, IMO.  I know we live in an instant gratification world, but I think patience is warranted here. Just my opinion

There is a reason they say it is a game of inches !

2 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Bills are always the only team in the league that coaches the aggressiveness out of their QB because they are so scared of Turnovers. 

back to the Tyrod Taylor Offense 

Boy do I agree with this.  The present coaching staff is more concerned with not making mistakes.  They want error free football.  I do not feel that is any way to learn.  You have to "Push" your players.  Be aggressive.  Nothing shortens the learning curve like being thrown to the wolves.  One of two things will happen.  You will see great strides being made (like in the case of Lamar Jackson in Baltimore) or your player will fail.  If the player fails it is better now than hanging on to a player that can not cut it in the long run.  

Well, Brady did throw an awful interception in the endzone to Micah that would have cost them the game if our special teams coach/head coach had prepared our team properly to handle a slot blitzer on a punt.  Or at least had the sense to call a timeout.

Everybody makes mistakes.   Ours might be we play too afraid to make mistakes on offense.

41 minutes ago, dubs said:

defense held the browns to 19 points and scored 2 on their own. In today’s NFL you can’t expect more than that, especially against a talented team like the Browns. 

this game is ? % on the offense. Mostly Allen, some Daboll. 

You can't put all the blame on one side of the ball, after a crappy game the offense make the barely necessary to lead in the game, and the defense couldn't hold up

3 hours ago, ricojes said:

Allen's comments yesterday said it all.  When asked why he isn't hitting the long ball, he says he is afraid of under throwing and getting intercepted.  The coaches are in his head big time, not a good thing.  The Bills got rid of Tyrod Taylor, but they still have a Tyrod Taylor "don't take risks" mentality.

It occurs to me situationally that 4 things can happen taking a deep shot on 3rd and short: Incomplete, Interception, Big Play or Big Pass Interference.

Of those options, Interception isn't really much worse than Incomplete and a punt, is it? Why would you coach to basically guarantee Incomplete and take away the chance of the other 3 occurring where one of those is meh and two of those are great?

54 minutes ago, poblano said:

You can't put all the blame on one side of the ball, after a crappy game the offense make the barely necessary to lead in the game, and the defense couldn't hold up

I disagree. 

It’s a team sport. One side of the ball (defense) has kept this team in every game, including most of the Eagles game. The offense has consistently let the team down. This isn’t even debatable IMO. 

3 hours ago, Wayne Arnold said:

It is?

They will?

Aside from wishful thinking, what evidence suggests these two things?

He's improves his accuracy from last season, so no reason to believe it can't get better yet.  Give him better receivers overall would  likely improve some right there.

TT, EJ, and Losman, who of them have an arm like Allen?  Maybe Losman was the only one who'd come close.  Think it was Virgil's post yesterday where he commented how in past years; holding call on 1st down, now 1st and 20, forget it, might as well bring the punting team out on 2nd down.  Now Allen can get those yards back and he has done it.

• Like (+1) 1