Bye Bye, Grapes

Lurker

9 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Words are not worth getting upset about, those of us over 50 saw far worse in the nightly news for most of the late Nam Era

Either are silly poppies. Bye bye Grapes.

Honestly... Forcing people to don (pun intended) poppies?  I guess it is Canada, they weren't founded on freedom... But founded on boot licking a monarch.

11 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Either are silly poppies. Bye bye Grapes.

Honestly... Forcing people to don (pun intended) poppies?  I guess it is Canada, they weren't founded on freedom... But founded on boot licking a monarch.

yes, Canadians are grateful for those who served

i guess you don’t understand that?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Of course we all are.  But I won't be forced to toe the line.  We fought a revolution over that.

What's so hard to understand?  Oh yeah... I was born a rebel... It's my birthright to fight tyranny, not accept tyranny.

By choosing to not wear a silly poppy, it doesn't mean one is NOT grateful. If you do think it's ungrateful, then you do what ever your overlords say.

We should be grateful... Because many in one country actually had the balls and fought, and died for the concept I just explained above... NOT to run away and conform.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

1 minute ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Of course we all are.  But I won't be forced to toe the line.  We fought a revolution over that.

What's so hard to understand?  Oh yeah... I was born a rebel... It's my birthright to fight tyranny, not accept tyranny.

By choosing to not wear a silly poppy, it doesn't mean one is NOT grateful. If you do think it's ungrateful, then you do what ever your overlords say.

We shoulf be grateful... Because many in one country actually had the balls and fought, and died for the concept I just explained above... NOT to run away and conform.

your usual good humour is taking you into severely lousy comments on this topic

take a deep breath and move on to another topic please....

• Thank you (+1) 1

He was the reason I stopped liking the Bruins in the '70's.

Anyone would have looked like a good coach with that team.

But he made a nice living off that minimal HNIC routine.

Edited by I am the egg man

Just now, row_33 said:

your usual good humour is taking you into severely lousy comments on this topic

take a deep breath and move on to another topic please....

No... I am in a good mood.

Even if I decided to put a poppy on and somebody told me that I should.... Must... I would take it off.

Canada isn't a Lego movie:

Maybe it's finally taking 243 years to figure it out.  If Canada wants to be the U.S., then denounce that tyrannical clown Cherry.  If they want to be "Awesome Canada" then own it.  Maybe Canada was built on "always rooting for the local team"... That's NOT how freedom is built... What Cherry is proposing is antithetical to what our soldiers died for.  I am not that up on Canadian history, I take it's little more homogenized up there.

I am not trying to be coarse here.  But fundamentally both nations think differently.  I got no problem with Canada forcing it's people, or people in their country to wear poppies. But, again... Own it.  Yet, don't call yourself a free nation.

This is all rather silly... Except for bully, tyrant Grapes trying to impose his will.  Sorry, that dog don't hunt below the border where water doesn't freeze in July and real tobacco grows.

LoL... I am over the top now... You did tell me to stop.  Canada, just own your lack of freedom and tolerance.  This is a nothing burger.

44 minutes ago, I am the egg man said:

He made an even better living off of selling Videos/DVDs of the seasons best hockey violence, then called those going after the NHL for money to help with their long term injuries 'guys looking for a money grab'. He was also one to never shy away from calling European players as being weak and not tough enough for his 'Canadian tough' Hockey.

We are in a time where there's growing resentment and hatred for those who weren't born here who are bringing us down and trying to enforce their ways and beliefs on us. His comment was 'You people who come here...' so he wasn't refering to those from here, he was calling out to the immigrants and refugees. His rant was that he says he doesn't see them wearing a poppy (a plastic red flower and pin, usually offered by veterans or young cadets outside stores for donations that's been a symbol here for those who served in the military) and takes offence believing that because of they aren't wearing one they don't respect what our veterans did in the wars. Meanwhile people have been saying poppy wearing appears to be down even more this year as some are saying they aren't seeing anyone offering them around as much anymore and when they do, they only have larger bills and no change to give. Had he not singled out immigrants/refugees in the rant, there wouldn't have been an issue, but he singled them out as being the problem because he says they are coming here and not respecting something they may not have known about.

I have to say that this year, I have probably seen the most advertisement on TV for a Remembrance Day then I can ever remember. They have really tried to push it more this year, possibly because they have noticed a decline in people taking time to care on that day and many of the soldiers that were always honored were from WWI & WW2 and have passed away. In the last few years I have even heard more complaints as the Christmas season has pushed closer and closer and now past it. My MIL put up her Christmas tree and indoor decorations a couple days before Halloween, my wife had to put ours up this weekend. As a kid at my house Christmas never started until after your Thanksgiving (not our in October), and our tree went up 1-2 weeks before and came down early January after the Ukranian Christmas. Now everything is going up the day after Halloween and is put away the 26th of December.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, I am the egg man said:

If you ignore the controversial ranting part, it's amazing how similar his career path is to John Madden.  You have a coach with early success who transitions to media icon.  I wonder if the US would have bought in if EA had named the video game after him back in the mid 90s.

• Like (+1) 2

On 11/12/2019 at 9:44 AM, apuszczalowski said:

Shocking that the outspoken old man who has always disliked European players would say something racist and hide it behind Patriotism and Supporting the troops.

The same guy who made millions off of selling videos of violent hockey plays then say that those players in the video who now have injuries and need to sue the league for compensation are just looking for a money grab.

I have always loved Don Cherry's segments on HNIC and used to enjoy his TV show "The Grapevine" and his Rock 'em Sock 'em hockey videos, etc.

He's said stuff like this for years; he hasn't changed at all.  Canada has.  I'm surprised he lasted this long actually.

The sort of views he expressed in this controversial Coach's Corner are identical to those held by a large chunk of America that put Donald Trump in office.  And Trump has A FREAKING BOATLOAD of supporters at this forum! 

Grapes always went out of his way to pay tribute to first responders, military personnel KIA, and veterans.

I wish he had just kept the discussion to hockey.

Anyway, he is bigger than his segment on HNIC and can start his own show/media outlet if he chooses to do so.

He's what?  85 now?  Not sure if he is that ambitious but he does love the limelight.

18 hours ago, gomper said:

I'm to the left of Bernie. To me he doesn't go far enough. That being said, this is ridiculous. They wanted to cut his salary and they did. Ron threw him under the bus too. How did we get to this place? I weep for the future. 

Yep, it's getting to the point where there is a tyranny of opinion in major media outlets in N. America.  If you don't say the right thing, or say something controversial, you are gone!  That's how the game is played now.

So much for the freedom of expression soldiers died to preserve.

I mean, if we are going to go all tyrannical and Nazi, there was really no point in fighting WWII.

Edited by Nextmanup
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, shrader said:

If you ignore the controversial ranting part, it's amazing how similar his career path is to John Madden.  You have a coach with early success who transitions to media icon.  I wonder if the US would have bought in if EA had named the video game after him back in the mid 90s.

Besides that Madden never ranted and acted like a show off as a HC or announcer, the only other difference between them is Madden won a Super Bowl with a very different team than when he became head coach and Cherry never won the Cup with a team with many of the same players that won 2 cups a few years before he took over.

Oh yeah, Cherry would fly on a plane so that should count for something. 

Edited by I am the egg man

47 minutes ago, I am the egg man said:

Besides that Madden never ranted and acted like a show off as a HC or announcer, the only other difference between them is Madden won a Super Bowl with a very different team than when he became head coach and Cherry never won the Cup with a team with many of the same players that won 2 cups a few years before he took over.

Ahhh crap, I thought he was there for that last cup.

On 11/12/2019 at 9:59 AM, Bakin said:

Where is the racism?  Show it to me?

unless it’s just in your head and Rogers just wanted to shed his bulky contract....

Assuming it's ungrateful immigrants not buying poppies and calling them out with pointed finger on national TV? Just a hunch.

8 hours ago, row_33 said:

Then why not call out native  Canadians for not buying poppies?

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Assuming it's ungrateful immigrants not buying poppies and calling them out with pointed finger on national TV? Just a hunch.

Then why not call out native native Canadians for not buying poppies?

That's the problem, if he would have directed to the fact that Canadians in general appear to be less supportive cause they wear poppies less then before, he would be making a good point. Instead he directed it at immigrants/refugees (which is a hot button issue here as many blame them for everything bad here.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, I am the egg man said:

There was a little team called the Montreal Canadiens in his way of winning that Cup. The same Canadiens that had a season with only 8 losses during that stretch.

8 losses.

In fact, the Habs lost only 29 games during a 3 year stretch and 46 in the 4 year stretch they won those 4 Cups in.

Most dominating team in NHL history.

Edited by Binghamton Beast
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

That's the problem, if he would have directed to the fact that Canadians in general appear to be less supportive cause they wear poppies less then before, he would be making a good point. Instead he directed it at immigrants/refugees (which is a hot button issue here as many blame them for everything bad here.

He said immigrants/ refugees???

where?????

6 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Then why not call out native  Canadians for not buying poppies?

That’s racist?  Immigrants from where?  Did he say anything about skin colour or race?  Maybe he was talking about everyone in his city. Why do people automatically assume brown people?  It’s not even close to insinuated...but then again, some people hear what they want. 

• Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, Bakin said:

He said immigrants/ refugees???

where?????

That’s racist?  Immigrants from where?  Did he say anything about skin colour or race?  Maybe he was talking about everyone in his city. Why do people automatically assume brown people?  It’s not even close to insinuated...but then again, some people hear what they want. 

If he wasn’t referring to immigrants when he said, “You people...that come here, whatever it is, you love our way of life, you love our milk and honey...”, whom do you think he was referring to? Cherry didn’t leave much room for an alternative interpretation. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1