NFC Slug-Fest: Hawks @ 9ers

4 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Which is puzzling because we were 8th in takeaways last year with a nearly identical roster.  We're 20th right now which makes me think we revert to the mean and create more the remaining seven games.

I don’t think the turnover issue is a major crisis. That’s just how defensive football works. Turnovers are somewhat beyond the complete control of players. It takes special circumstances, and a combination of talent and luck to create turnovers. I think if you looked at historical stats of defensive teams, you might see major ups and downs of turnover rankings. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

I get your point for sure,  I’m just saying we’re still the third ranked defense in the NFL. How much more can you ask ? I’d love more big plays, and to see them demonstrate the ability to be clutch. Our defense certainly didn’t perform in the clutch yesterday, but it would take a few more bad games before I begin to see them as an issue. 

Great point. Our offense constantly puts those guys in bad spots. 

Do they?  We don't seem to have a lot of 3 & outs.  Our problem is that our "drives" stall after a couple of 1st downs.

And over the last 5 games, where we have gone 3 - 2, the O has turned the ball over only twice with only one being on our side of the field (against Philly).  In fact I think we've only lost one TO in our red zone the entire year (the pick 6 against the Jets). 

It's true that the O puts our D in a tough spot by not scoring a lot of points but it hasn't seemed like excessive 3 & outs or TO's on our side of the field have been a big problem - particularly over the last 5 games.

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Whose fault is that?  Our O actually does move the ball on most possessions for at least a couple of 1st downs.  We tend to stall out around midfield.  In contrast our D has given up a lot of 3rd & long recently. 

Yeah, those 3rd and Longs have been extending some plays with terrible coverage (mostly Wallace)...but the O needs to be doing more. 4th quarter is not a problem...we move the chains with ease.

I would love to see Allen play with that freedom for an entire game.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, SCBills said:

Sanders goes out and suddenly Jimmy G is strugglesville again...

Yeah Sanders was his go to guy.  Their offense looks a lot worse without him let alone no Kittle either.  

This one has a Billsy type feel to it.  I can see the 49ers losing this one when they have no business losing it.  

2 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Do they?  We don't seem to have a lot of 3 & outs.  Our problem is that our "drives" stall after a couple of 1st downs.

And over the last 5 games, where we have gone 3 - 2, the O has turned the ball over only twice with only one being on our side of the field (against Philly).  In fact I think we've only lost one TO in our red zone the entire year (the pick 6 against the Jets). 

It's true that the O puts our D in a tough spot by not scoring a lot of points but it hasn't seemed like excessive 3 & outs or TO's on our side of the field have been a big problem - particularly over the last 5 games.

You are correct, our offense has improved in the area of turnovers, and limiting three and outs in opponent territory. That was a major issue in the first few games this season. I just want to see them begin to put some points on the board. Back in September, I really thought it’d all come together by this point in this season. Sadly, that has yet to happen. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, SirAndrew said:

You are correct, our offense has improved in the area of turnovers, and limiting three and outs in opponent territory. That was a major issue in the first few games this season. I just want to see them begin to put some points on the board. Back in September, I really thought it’d all come together by this point in this season. Sadly, that has yet to happen. 

It never will with McJauronmott.  He won’t let it happen

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

I guess that where this all leads is that we're just not there yet and that's okay.  We're in the middle of a partial rebuild.  The D has been ahead of the O and didn't need a rebuild.  But the O was a disaster in 2017 & 2018.  We all watched that playoff game where Tyrod & company scored 3 points.  That was the low point of our O.  We are currently coming out of the offensive rebuild and next year we should see a big improvement in the O after seeing a decent improvement this year over the disastrous offenses of 2017 & 2018.

So it bugs me when the geniuses that write for the WNY sports media aim their venom at the O - knowing full well that this unit is being rebuilt - while letting the D off the hook.  At 6 - 3 we're overachieving this year as a team.  And with a break here or there 10 - 6 and a playoff spot is still possible. But getting there will not be pretty and reading the ignorant & lazy takes by some in the WNY media only makes things worse.

2 minutes ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Anyone else wonder why a guy like Kittle, who may only miss one game, is watching up in the box? Meanwhile his teammate Kwon Alexander, who is out for the year, is down on the sideline cheering on and supporting his team? 

I’m curious. 

I’ll venture a guess... He has knee and ankle injuries I’m assuming they want him off his feet?

I guess that where this all leads is that we're just not there yet and that's okay.  We're in the middle of a partial rebuild.  The D has been ahead of the O and didn't need a rebuild.  But the O was a disaster in 2017 & 2018.  We all watched that playoff game where Tyrod & company scored 3 points.  That was the low point of our O.  We are currently coming out of the offensive rebuild and next year we should see a big improvement in the O after seeing a decent improvement this year over the disastrous offenses of 2017 & 2018.

So it bugs me when the geniuses that write for the WNY sports media aim their venom at the O - knowing full well that this unit is being rebuilt - while letting the D off the hook.  At 6 - 3 we're overachieving this year as a team.  And with a break here or there 10 - 6 and a playoff spot is still possible. But getting there will not be pretty and reading the ignorant & lazy takes by some in the WNY media only makes things worse.

My greatest concern is the fact that I don’t trust Beane, McDermott, or Daboll’s ability to field a competent offensive football team. Nothing in any of their pasts indicates that ability, and it does worry me. Otherwise, I see your point that we have a young QB who needs more weapons around him. 

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Anyone else wonder why a guy like Kittle, who may only miss one game, is watching up in the box? Meanwhile his teammate Kwon Alexander, who is out for the year, is down on the sideline cheering on and supporting his team? 

I’m curious. 

Maybe they want him higher to look at something tactical or positioning related?

The high vantage point might give him a different perspective

11 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

Don't we all.  But this year we probably won't see it happen.  What we have to focus on are the little victories on O.  We have to focus on and celebrate the things we're doing better today then we did the last couple of years.  I can think of 2:

1)  Our Red Zone offense has been excellent this year.

2)  When we face 2nd or 3rd & long I feel like we can convert.  Yesterday there were several times in the game where penalties forced us into 1st & 2nd and long and we still got the 1st down.

Next year, we should see further improvements in scoring and yards gained.

3 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

My greatest concern is the fact that I don’t trust Beane, McDermott, or Daboll’s ability to field a competent offensive football team. Nothing in any of their pasts indicates that ability, and it does worry me. Otherwise, I see your point that we have a young QB who needs more weapons around him. 

I trust Beane & McD but for me Daboll is on the hot seat. 

Edited by CincyBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Don't we all.  But this year we probably won't see it happen.  What we have to focus on are the little victories on O.  W ehave to focus on and celebrate the things we're doing better today then we did the last couple of years.  I can think of 2:

1)  Our Red Zone offense has been excellent this year.

2)  When we face 2nd or 3rd & long I feel like we can convert.  Yesterday there were several times in the game where penalties forced us into 1st & 2nd and long and we still got the 1st down.

Next year, we should see further improvements in scoring and yards gained.

1st and 25 becomes 3rd and 4 and then random BOMB.  

I completely agree with you, despite our hilarious at times play calling.  

• Like (+1) 1

And boy are there a few of these longs.

Seems we are 2nd and 8, 3rd and 5 very quickly on most plays these days. I feel confident on 3rd and long, opposed to the 3rd and 5.

I do like going for it on 4th