JR in Pittsburgh

How healthy is your diet?

18 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

My diet tonight was pretty solid.

Chicken parm over spaghetti, salad, garlic bread, and a nice Chianti.

I was available.......

Now you’re just trying to rub it in! 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

thats crazy!! 

by the way, I think I mentioned this before—

Been having my own rotator cuff issues. I have been sleeping better after that tip you gave me about basically plastering my arm to my side.

People have different opinions on cortisone, but I got it on Christmas Eve about 12 years ago and it was one of my best presents ever! If they get the shot in the right place you know instantly as the pain is GONE. Right then! Right there! There’s a short term med that gets you thru until the actual cortisone takes over. It was like I had a toothache in my shoulder every night for seemingly forever making it nearly impossible to sleep, regardless of position. 

Good luck with all that! 

BUT, keeping the arm restricted is a must! It’s amazing how you can damage yourself as you SLEEP! 

I always eat the celery that comes with the wings because it burns more calories digesting it or something like that.  I think the ratio is 20 wings w/4 oz. of blue cheese to two sticks of celery.

14 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

If anything, a pat of butter and some hot sauce.

Mostly nothing, though.

I throw in cinnamon or peanut butter from time to time too. 

Just now, The Jokeman said:

I throw in cinnamon or peanut butter from time to time too. 

If you haven't tried the hot sauce, it's the perfect vehicle ;)

7 hours ago, Augie said:

People have different opinions on cortisone, but I got it on Christmas Eve about 12 years ago and it was one of my best presents ever! If they get the shot in the right place you know instantly as the pain is GONE. Right then! Right there! There’s a short term med that gets you thru until the actual cortisone takes over. It was like I had a toothache in my shoulder every night for seemingly forever making it nearly impossible to sleep, regardless of position. 

Good luck with all that! 

BUT, keeping the arm restricted is a must! It’s amazing how you can damage yourself as you SLEEP! 

took a few for the shoulder and rotator cuff back in the day, it wasn’t euphoric but helped out 

Interesting that you brought this up since I have made some changes in my diet.  I haven't eaten meat in a week.  I've got some friends that swear by it.  Then I watched a documentary on high level athletes who aren't eating meat.

And yeah, it works.  My cardio when I workout now is literally 5 times better.  

My left shoulder has been bad for 3 months...I don't have any pain anymore.  It wasn't pain pain...it was more that it got fatigued very quickly.  Now it's normal.

I don't get the bloated feeling anymore and my energy level is way, way up.  I feel like I'm 12 years old again....I really do.

I'm not going to eliminate all meat from my diet, I'm just not going to buy it anymore.  I'll save my meat for eating out.  

I'm not going completely vegan either...I'm still eating eggs and cheese.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

If you haven't tried the hot sauce, it's the perfect vehicle ;)

Oh I put Tobasco on almost everything. Eggs, Potatoes, you name it.  Yet I found this one hot sauce, damn throw in more then two drops and your mouth be on fire and need a glass of milk. https://www.wegmans.com/products/grocery-food/condiments-and-sauces/sauce/hot-sauce-naga-jolokia-ghost-pepper.html

Edited by The Jokeman

1 hour ago, The Jokeman said:

Oh I put Tobasco on almost everything. Eggs, Potatoes, you name it.  Yet I found this one hot sauce, damn throw in more then two drops and your mouth be on fire and need a glass of milk. https://www.wegmans.com/products/grocery-food/condiments-and-sauces/sauce/hot-sauce-naga-jolokia-ghost-pepper.html

That sounds delightful! I'm all about that endorphin rush

Speaking of heat, I was out last night at a place that has all local craft beers on tap and one that a few people I was with tried was a dark beer with Ghost Pepper. They said you didn't taste any heat in your mouth, but would get a warm feeling in your throat when you swallowed it 

7 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Interesting that you brought this up since I have made some changes in my diet.  I haven't eaten meat in a week.  I've got some friends that swear by it.  Then I watched a documentary on high level athletes who aren't eating meat.

And yeah, it works.  My cardio when I workout now is literally 5 times better.  

My left shoulder has been bad for 3 months...I don't have any pain anymore.  It wasn't pain pain...it was more that it got fatigued very quickly.  Now it's normal.

I don't get the bloated feeling anymore and my energy level is way, way up.  I feel like I'm 12 years old again....I really do.

I'm not going to eliminate all meat from my diet, I'm just not going to buy it anymore.  I'll save my meat for eating out.  

I'm not going completely vegan either...I'm still eating eggs and cheese.

Funny you mention shoulder pain. That has been the driving force behind me trying to eat better— both shoulders have been super out of whack. I was hoping the new diet may help get rid of some of that joint inflammation. 

20 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

Funny you mention shoulder pain. That has been the driving force behind me trying to eat better— both shoulders have been super out of whack. I was hoping the new diet may help get rid of some of that joint inflammation. 

On one of my 3 shoulder injury time-outs (all lasting 12-18 months) from tennis was because I was playing as well as I ever had (age adjusted) my entire life. Things were going so well,  I was going to the gym regularly to strengthen up to avoid injury. The military press was hurting, and I was hoping it was a “good hurt”. It was NOT. After the MRI the ortho guy says “OH! You should never do the military press. That will wreck your shoulders!” He then told me about how my surgery would go, and what the recovery looked like. It was then that I pointed out that “well, the gym I’ve been going to is owned by the hospital where you do your surgeries! Does this explain why they have that machine?” 

I did not have surgery, but it took about ~12 months to recover. During recovery I went to PT regularly. Since you can’t do JUST shoulders the whole time, the therapist had me doing other things, including curls. THAT is how I got the tennis elbow! Bang! Another 10 months of life altering pain and disruption! 

I don’t go to the gym any more. 

Not good.      Just had a grilled chicken salad at Zaxbys to pair with my kicking chicken sandwich. 

I tried 

48 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

Not good.      Just had a grilled chicken salad at Zaxbys to pair with my kicking chicken sandwich. 

I tried 

A Zaxby’s opened a mile up the road from me about 3 years ago. I’ve never been in. Is that a mistake? Or a blessing? I’m asking for my taste buds, AND my heart. 

1 hour ago, Augie said:

On one of my 3 shoulder injury time-outs (all lasting 12-18 months) from tennis was because I was playing as well as I ever had (age adjusted) my entire life. Things were going so well,  I was going to the gym regularly to strengthen up to avoid injury. The military press was hurting, and I was hoping it was a “good hurt”. It was NOT. After the MRI the ortho guy says “OH! You should never do the military press. That will wreck your shoulders!” He then told me about how my surgery would go, and what the recovery looked like. It was then that I pointed out that “well, the gym I’ve been going to is owned by the hospital where you do your surgeries! Does this explain why they have that machine?” 

I did not have surgery, but it took about ~12 months to recover. During recovery I went to PT regularly. Since you can’t do JUST shoulders the whole time, the therapist had me doing other things, including curls. THAT is how I got the tennis elbow! Bang! Another 10 months of life altering pain and disruption! 

I don’t go to the gym any more. 

Was your tennis skirt the tight fitting or the wavy ones?

2 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Was your tennis skirt the tight fitting or the wavy ones?

I just wear a thong. I find the distraction is worth a few points per set. And I get a nice tan! 

1 minute ago, Augie said:

I just wear a thong. I find the distraction is worth a few points per set. And I get a nice tan! 

If that’s the case, we’re playing soon.

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

If that’s the case, we’re playing soon.

Are you hitting on me? 

39 minutes ago, Augie said:

A Zaxby’s opened a mile up the road from me about 3 years ago. I’ve never been in. Is that a mistake? Or a blessing? I’m asking for my taste buds, AND my heart. 

Salads and random sandwiches are good. 

Wings are trash.  

4 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

Salads and random sandwiches are good. 

Wings are trash.  

I’ll try it soon, I guess. I won’t invite @Royale with Cheese. He’d get the trashy wings......then a side of Ranch! 🤮

6 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Can you feel me smiling?

Don’t make me root for the flu over you! 

Just now, Augie said:

Don’t make me root for the flu over you! 

I finally can eat solid food again.  My stools are also solid again.  Feeling better.

Just now, Royale with Cheese said:

I finally can eat solid food again.  My stools are also solid again.  Feeling better.

For the community, I thank you for sharing that. (NOT!) 

And beg you to never do it again!