Sign in to follow this  
JR in Pittsburgh

How healthy is your diet?

Just now, Joe in Winslow said:

I love racquetball. Haven't played in a LONG time though.

Start slowly. Good advice. 

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Augie said:

I don't have time for that now. Played when I was in the army.

4 minutes ago, Augie said:

the body has a way in teaching you this, usually through reaching max heart rate in about 10 seconds and needing a break

2 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

I love racquetball. Haven't played in a LONG time though.

I had to stop playing a few years ago— would get the worst tennis elbow. It knocked me out. 

14 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

I had to stop playing a few years ago— would get the worst tennis elbow. It knocked me out. 

Tennis elbow is NO JOKE! I could not hold a glass with my right hand or pick up my briefcase for 10 months. Then........one day........it was just gone. I never even noticed when it went away. It was just gone. 

2 minutes ago, Augie said:

Tennis elbow is NO JOKE! I could not hold a glass with my right hand or pick up my briefcase for 10 months. Then........one day........it was just gone. I never even noticed when it went away. It was just gone. 

Took me a full year to get over it. It was brutal. Couldn’t shake a hand, squeeze my aerosol deodorant, you name it. 

2 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

Took me a full year to get over it. It was brutal. Couldn’t shake a hand, squeeze my aerosol deodorant, you name it. 

Same here. The crazy part was I didn’t get it from tennis. I had a partially torn rotator cuff from tennis (3rd time), declined surgery and went to PT. You can’t JUST do shoulders for the whole session, so he had me doing curls. THAT gave me tennis elbow! 

3 hours ago, Augie said:

A buddy of mine has a terrible diet. Stopped at McDonalds every day on the way to work for sausage biscuits and large sodas. He literally passed out when he got to work one day, knocking over the check writing stand in the bank lobby. 

Anyway, we’d play tennis and he would show up with an energy drink in hand. He’d place it at the baseline warming up, and my challenge was to knock it over. If it spilled? No worries, he had another 4 pack in his bag. He’d also be on an inhaler for his athsma, and go get Cokes if he ran you of drinks. 

One 4th of July we are playing and at a change over he lays down on the ground, as he will at times to stretch his back, but he was moaning loudly! I give him some time, then taunt him until he resumes. I had the photo of him on the ground as his pic in my phone when he’d call me. 

A year or so later he goes in for a checkup and they order an EKG. The doctor says “do you know you’ve had a heart attack?” So now I’m the guy who gets grief for taunting the heart attack victim HEY! As far as I know, I’ve only done that once!  Oops! 

Similar thing happened to me. I was 31 and had chest pains and my left arm was numb. Went to ecmc, they said I was having anxiety and sent me home with no tests. A little while after I needed surgery for something unrelated. They ordered tests before I could be cleared for surgery and my dr comes in and asks how long ago I had a heart attack. I was like umm I went to hospital a little while back for chest pain and they said it was anxiety. Nope heart attack. 

My diet was pretty bad before then. Still working on it

Edited by Not at the table Karlos
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Similar thing happened to me. I was 31 and had chest pains and my left arm was numb. Went to ecmc, they said I was having anxiety and sent me home with no tests. A little while after I needed surgery for something unrelated. They ordered tests before I could be cleared for surgery and my dr comes in and asks how long ago I had a heart attack. I was like umm I went to hospital a little while back for chest pain and they said it was anxiety. Nope heart attack. 

My diet was pretty bad before then. Still working on it

WOW, that’s really early at 31! Glad you’re still kickin’ and posting! My sister had quadruple bypass surgery younger than I am now. Tall and lean, never smoked, walked miles a day. Part of why I try to eat pretty healthy and get 10,000 steps per day (though I usually fail there, I get maybe 8k avg, so a lot more than I used to). 

• Thanks! (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Augie said:

WOW, that’s really early at 31! Glad you’re still kickin’ and posting! My sister had quadruple bypass surgery younger than I am now. Tall and lean, never smoked, walked miles a day. Part of why I try to eat pretty healthy and get 10,000 steps per day (though I usually fail there, I get maybe 8k avg, so a lot more than I used to). 

I ate like crap for a long time. Could probably count on one hand how many times I cooked at home in my late teens and 20s and I really like candy and oatmeal cream pies. But I was very active so I didn’t get huge. Worked out religiously and rode a bike instead of driving a lot. Thought because I would drink a protein shake and wasn’t fat that I was healthy. Nope..

4 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

I ate like crap for a long time. Could probably count on one hand how many times I cooked at home in my late teens and 20s and I really like candy and oatmeal cream pies. But I was very active so I didn’t get huge. Worked out religiously and rode a bike instead of driving a lot. Thought because I would drink a protein shake and wasn’t fat that I was healthy. Nope..

You’d think you can get away with it at that age. I try to stay active, but I’m weakening as I’ve moved to crap weather for 4-5 months/year. Not bad enough to have indoor tennis courts, not good enough to play outdoors without misery. I’ll be a friggin mall walker as I refuse to join, then quit another gym! 

Bottom line? None of us get out of here alive. Make the most of your life, whatever that means to you, and be sure your loved ones know you love them. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Augie said:

Same here. The crazy part was I didn’t get it from tennis. I had a partially torn rotator cuff from tennis (3rd time), declined surgery and went to PT. You can’t JUST do shoulders for the whole session, so he had me doing curls. THAT gave me tennis elbow! 

thats crazy!! 

by the way, I think I mentioned this before—

Been having my own rotator cuff issues. I have been sleeping better after that tip you gave me about basically plastering my arm to my side.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

thats crazy!! 

Been having my own rotator cuff issues. I have been sleeping better after that tip you gave me about basically plastering my arm to my side.

It still takes a LOT of time, but it would NEVER have gotten better without that, I’m afraid. 

My diet tonight was pretty solid.

Chicken parm over spaghetti, salad, garlic bread, and a nice Chianti.

18 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

My diet tonight was pretty solid.

Chicken parm over spaghetti, salad, garlic bread, and a nice Chianti.

I was available.......

Now you’re just trying to rub it in! 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

thats crazy!! 

People have different opinions on cortisone, but I got it on Christmas Eve about 12 years ago and it was one of my best presents ever! If they get the shot in the right place you know instantly as the pain is GONE. Right then! Right there! There’s a short term med that gets you thru until the actual cortisone takes over. It was like I had a toothache in my shoulder every night for seemingly forever making it nearly impossible to sleep, regardless of position. 

Good luck with all that! 

BUT, keeping the arm restricted is a must! It’s amazing how you can damage yourself as you SLEEP! 

I always eat the celery that comes with the wings because it burns more calories digesting it or something like that.  I think the ratio is 20 wings w/4 oz. of blue cheese to two sticks of celery.

14 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

If anything, a pat of butter and some hot sauce.

Mostly nothing, though.

I throw in cinnamon or peanut butter from time to time too.