McD's weekly presser: Huddling not planned on final drive

Reed83HOF

1 hour ago, Cripple Creek said:

Buffalo media are such a bunch of cupcakes.

McDermott says little about getting Singletary the ball.  Then follow up and ask him why Singletary got single digit carries against the 30th ranked rush defense in the league.

Daboll: 8 in the box dictated.  What about a follow up?  Have they had 8 in the box against other teams?  Is it possible in football to take what you want, or do you always have to take what the defense gives you?

Ask some tough questions fergodssake.

I'm watching the 49ers still try to run the ball with 8 in the box. And succeed

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Wayne Arnold said:

The offense is such a cluster f___. Unfortunately I don't ever see it getting better under McDermott. He has no idea what a good offensive coordinator looks like. 0 for 2. You don't get a third choice.

It’s not McDermott. It’s not Daboll. It’s the Quarterback. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Iverwig said:

This is why Josh is making mistakes and the offense sucks. Coach McD is a brilliant defensive mind but it’s obvious he doesn’t get involved with the offensive game plan. For him to say “it wasn’t the plan to huddle , we had to” What the heck dies that mean? Don’t tell me Josh goes hurry up and then all of a sudden huddles up. That’s not on the players that’s on coaching. For him not to know why Singletary only has 8 carries and then say we need to do a better job of getting him the ball. Didn’t he say that a few weeks ago? This team is doomed this year. 

He’s not brilliant he let Cleveland go down with hardly any time left and score He is too  conservative and is afraid to blitz 

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Seven-N-Nine said:

I get the feeling the offensive coaches are babysitting Allen a bit too much.

2 hours ago, Mark92 said:

Pretty sure Dabol has been trying to stop " Bad Josh " from showing up.  You know, the guy who trys to make a play out of nothing and throws picks.  But at the same time "Good Josh " plays the same way.  It's a fine line and I think the bills need to let the reigns off of him a lot more.

This makes zero sense.  Throwing 41 times in a game, empty formations with 5 wide every offensive series, deep shots and JA designed runs called each game, and a lack of commitment to the running game are all signs of a lack of handcuffs. 

If anything, it has been the complete opposite. The coaching staff has let JA play too much and designed too many game plans around him and the passing attack. One could argue, less Josh equals more offensive success. 

5 hours ago, Wayne Arnold said:

The offense is such a cluster f___. Unfortunately I don't ever see it getting better under McDermott. He has no idea what a good offensive coordinator looks like. 0 for 2. You don't get a third choice.

I mean... (and for once i dont mean to be a snark) says who? Respectfully,  as you dont make those decisions IF he does it is what it is. Like it or love it, McD is here for a bit. This current iteration of the team is 110% him. If for no other reason than stability barring the apocalypse this coach was probably getting more time than the last few ninnies to come through here. At this point a small contingent of the fan base are the only ones who seem to have an issue. Things may not be great, but they are the best they have been since the 90s. Just bc fans think a plan takes 3 yrs doesnt mean ownership would break it off early before its come to fruition. This was supposed to be the 1st yr on the upswing, and, bumps and all it has been. Like i said in another thread - last offseason was getting the ingredients and building depth. Next offseason will be more the icing on the cake to fortify. If in 2 years we are still here then maybe theres an issue but thats a ways off.

• Like (+1) 1

QB's are generally the one's making OC's look like dog****.

Daboll has looked like dog**** as an OC for 2 years in Cleveland, a year in Miami, and a year in KC, and this year in Buffalo, every NFL OC job he has had. 

21 minutes ago, popcornpam said:

He’s not brilliant he let Cleveland go down with hardly any time left and score He is too  conservative and is afraid to blitz 

The D was so soft on that last drive it was embarrassing, no aggression or drive to finish them off. 

• Like (+1) 1

QB's are generally the one's making OC's look like dog****.

a 3 to 1 pass to run ratio can do that also???

4 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

The D was so soft on that last drive it was embarrassing, no aggression or drive to finish them off. 

Fraziers bread and butter..only tightens in the redzones..he is perfectly content of giving up 10 yards at a time..as long as teams dont beat him with the bomb or busted play

3 minutes ago, Billever76 said:

We need to replace both coordinators...sadly i think we are stuck with the TAMPON 2

Edited by Billever76

56 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

We couldn't complete 3rd and shorts. To run the football you need to sustain drives. Allen was 2-9 converting 3rd and 4 or less. That's why we lost the game. That's why we didn't run more. 

Why didn't we run one of the times we had third and four and Daboll knew (hopefully) that they would go for it on fourth down?  

Why not have a RB in the backfield so that there is at least the threat of a run?

Why, if a defense, after nine games is giving up an average of 5 YPC, can you not run the ball on third down?

You see the problem with your argument, don't you?  If you run more perhaps you convert some of those third downs.

Just now, Cripple Creek said:

Why didn't we run one of the times we had third and four and Daboll knew (hopefully) that they would go for it on fourth down?  

Why not have a RB in the backfield so that there is at least the threat of a run?

Why, if a defense, after nine games is giving up an average of 5 YPC, can you not run the ball on third down?

You see the problem with your argument, don't you?  If you run more perhaps you convert some of those third downs.

Why don't we run on 3rd and 4 more? I don't understand this place. We're all over. Josh needs to step up and make plays.

6 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Why don't we run on 3rd and 4 more? I don't understand this place. We're all over. Josh needs to step up and make plays.

Seriously? You can't do it even once against the 30th run defense, Brian?  You can't do it when you know you will go for it on fourth down? 

Tell me about 8 in the box.  

1 hour ago, the skycap said:

I'm watching the 49ers still try to run the ball with 8 in the box. And succeed

Yes.  It can be done.

1 hour ago, RiotAct said:

“it wasn’t our intention to huddle... we had to”

Huh???

What's not to understand? 

The clock was running because Singletary was tackled in-bounds.  There was some "operational issue" (McDermott's vague term) , impression from Daboll communicating what he felt was the best play and Allen communicating to the offense. 

In hindsight, they should have called time-out.  They should also coach Singletary to get OOB if he possibly can.  Hopefully will better prepare for this situation in future, but at the time McDermott felt the last time out should be saved to ensure time to kick.  That's what his analytics told him, per presser.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

We agree here.  Let the kid play.

And if you have a HC saying the plan is no time out and his OC saying they called one, then McD and Daboll better sit down and work that stuff out.

I disagree.  They are letting Allen play.  They’re running the ball enough to consistently get 8 in the box and then asking him to make plays. He’s just not making enough despite having some favorable coverage situations.  I don’t know how much more the coaching staff could be doing for him on gameday.  

I do agree that the huddle/no TO mistake is unacceptable.  That needs worked out yesterday. 

I was at the game and haven’t rewatched it yet so I’ll double check what I think I saw, but Cleveland sure looked to be taking the run away and daring Allen to beat them.