McD's weekly presser: Huddling not planned on final drive

Reed83HOF

I see a lot of comments about them loosening the reins on Allen somewhat. I agree to a point but I think one of the main reasons they want him playing it safe is because they aren't quite at a point where they can routinely overcome a turnover from him. And they don't want to keep putting their defense back on the field after three-and-outs or turnovers, because eventually they'll wear down. And they don't exactly have the kind of offense where they can deal with some bad plays/turnovers yet still dig themselves out of a 14 point hole. 

They're not quite there yet. They're still learning and the good thing about learning while being able to win is that it does a lot for their confidence and shows them what it takes to get wins in this league. 

I'm not at all a "sky is falling" fan right now. I have questions on Daboll but that's it. Overall, this is the most consistent and organized staff this team has had in who knows how long. It's not perfect, no staff/team is, but they have a collective vision from the top down and they won't deviate from that plan. So far it's working pretty well. Took a team not really shaped by the new staff and went to the playoffs. Had to tear it down and deal with a "growing pains" season in 2018, necessary for long-term success. Now, they're definitely on an upward trajectory but it's a delicate balance to climb as they don't have a lot of margin for error. Another off-season to work on the roster and make any necessary coaching changes and I feel like they'll be in good shape. 

I understand the fans that live and die with every game, I do. I just try to keep the big picture in mind and keep it all in perspective. Can't blow things up and have knee-jerk reactions and make changes every single time there's a loss. They're a well-coached, hard working team that'll be eager to get back to it to correct things and go out and try to get back in the W column next week. I think they're on the right track but just need a bit more time and a few more pieces before the "but are they for real?" questions stop  

I'd hate to see the comments after a loss during a season where they start 9-0 or something, yikes!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

That makes it sound like Daboll called for the huddle and McD didn’t like that.

either way, a stupid situation that looked bad all around.

kind of what I got out of it - Daboll wanted to get a play in that needed the huddle to communicate it and McD was saying in that situation with the clock winding down they should not huddle (you think). So the only take away we can have is that it was a case of poor game day coaching and communication.

1 minute ago, Coach Tuesday said:

What the hell does that mean, they weren’t planning to huddle?  Sorry that I’m dense.  Can someone explain to me what that means?  Isn’t he the coach?  Doesn’t he make the plans AND implement them?  What is going on????

In the case of “planning to huddle” it was inferred that they may have been intentionally taking time off of the clock to try and just play for the FG and tie. That wasn’t the plan. They actually go up to the line ready to run the play and then decide to huddle. Not sure why it was decided to do that but they are saying they wanted make sure they had the right play. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

If McDermott wants to win and move the football, it's time to go back to 2018 Josh. Run, pass do whatever the ***** you have to do to win the football game. This watered down version of Josh is no fun to watch. He's not throwing picks, so what? Still lost 2 of the last 3. They've really ruined his confidence. Not sure why you would do that from a coaching perspective. McDermott is pointing out the play calling problems with the long balls on 3rd and short and the lack of Delvin even though he's proven time and time again that if he gets the football enough, special things can happen.

Take the training wheels off of Josh and for god's sake, over ride your idiot OC when you feel the need to. Don't just let it happen and talk about it afterwards.

1 hour ago, Happy Gilmore said:

I didn't take it as Wayne saying McD is fired after this year.  McD shouldn't get to pick the next OC, which I would agree with.

No.

The Heat Coach picks his staff. That’s the way it is and should be.

2 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

Better get ready for him to choose number 3, because he and Beane will get their entire contract here.  I am sure of it. 

Good for you

2 hours ago, Binghamton Beast said:

If you think McDermott is getting fired you truly are clueless.

He will be fired eventually. They might waste another year or two unfortunately.

Edited by Chemical
  • Haha (+1) 1

It doesnt matter if Daboll gets fired, Mcdermott is still going to hire somebody with the same style. You might get someone with a better 2 minute game plan, but Dabolls bigger problem is with the first 58 minutes of the game. The last 1 minute of the game was just the icing on the cake.

27 minutes ago, GimmeSomeProcess said:

Why? Harbough has gone through like 5 oc’s before landing Roman, who fits the qb perfectly. 

Why?!  John Harbaugh is in his 11th season as HC, has been to the AFCC 3x in that period, and won a SB.  I'm gonna give Harbaugh the benefit of the doubt in OC selections.  Harbaugh IS the reason why the Roman/Lamar Jackson pairing is working out.  How did Roman do with TT?  NoMoreProcess.

"We've got to score more points to enable ourselves to win games -- and to be a stretch down the threat, that's what we've got to do. I want to move the ball and score points."

You see....this is why none of us could be the Bills HC.  We simply aren't wired to think this way, no more than we could describe how to split the atom. 

Edited by Mr. WEO
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Buffalo media are such a bunch of cupcakes.

McDermott says little about getting Singletary the ball.  Then follow up and ask him why Singletary got single digit carries against the 30th ranked rush defense in the league.

Daboll: 8 in the box dictated.  What about a follow up?  Have they had 8 in the box against other teams?  Is it possible in football to take what you want, or do you always have to take what the defense gives you?

Ask some tough questions fergodssake.

If Josh is so stupid to be sauntering back to a huddle with under 50 seconds and 1 TO, then forget about coaching. This kid might be as dumb as a bag of nails.  I've watched Buffalo Bills games for over 50 years and I've never seen what I saw yesterday with that huddle. I was angry and embarrassed all at the same time.

• Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

No, not at all.  He's saying that Josh had to make a split second decision to throw to Brown and didn't have time to make a read and see that Beasley was open.

You are seing it that way? Guess it is tough to see via the tweet. Seems more of a he needs to make split second decisions when asked if he didnt throw it to the open man. Just after that being the go to play.  I could be wong but seemed like he was blaming Allen not seeing  the field well

3 hours ago, Wayne Arnold said:

The offense is such a cluster f___. Unfortunately I don't ever see it getting better under McDermott. He has no idea what a good offensive coordinator looks like. 0 for 2. You don't get a third choice.

Remember when Rex fired Roman after we lost because the defense gave up like 40 points so the blowhard figured he'd fire the OC.

Roman winning coordinator of the year running that Baltimore O.  That same mix of zone reads, misdirection and power-based pulls run out of a million different formations.

It's not just Lamar Jackson making that thing go, it's an experienced OC with full reign of all the calls, gameplanning the way he wants.   

I don't know enough about pro football or Daboll to slam the guy, but being an OC for Tom Brady means about as much to me as Adam Gase coaching Peyton Manning for a year or two.  It's a joke of a job and you're there to stay out of the way.