McD's weekly presser: Huddling not planned on final drive

Reed83HOF

49 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

That's not what he's saying at all. He's defending him for not throwing to Beasley because it was cover zero and he had to make a decision instantly.

There are some things I am starting to question around Daboll's game-day coaching, and whether he is a better X's an O's guy than hands-on coach, but he was protecting Allen there - anything else folks try to pull out of that comment is a reach.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

The clock is ticking after that shitshow drive. I DO like allen and want him to succeed..but I might want him to start being p*ssed off with drives like that. Get angry. Someone has to be. 

5 minutes ago, WideNine said:

There are some things I am starting to question around Daboll's game-day coaching, and whether he is a better X's an O's guy than hands-on coach, but he was protecting Allen there - anything else folks try to pull out of that comment is a reach.

I read it as backing allen

Also, Spend SOME f**'*ING time on OFFENCE McDermott. ?

Edited by london_bills

Pretty sure Dabol has been trying to stop " Bad Josh " from showing up.  You know, the guy who trys to make a play out of nothing and throws picks.  But at the same time "Good Josh " plays the same way.  It's a fine line and I think the bills need to let the reigns off of him a lot more.

45 minutes ago, row_33 said:

we were used to EJ and Tyrod letting vital seconds dribble away as the sidelines tried to figure out the next play

don't worry guys, only 70 seconds left down 2 scores....

so what is new now?

Tyrod and EJ had no Presence on the field. I'm starting to feel that way about Allen now. Minnesota he had presence. 

Just now, london_bills said:

Tyrod and EJ had no Presence on the field. I'm starting to feel that way about Allen now. Minnesota he had presence. 

give him some more time, this isn't JP Losman 2.0

just yet....

it can't be...

2 minutes ago, Mark92 said:

Pretty sure Dabol has been trying to stop " Bad Josh " from showing up.  You know, the guy who trys to make a play out of nothing and throws picks.  But at the same time "Good Josh " plays the same way.  It's a fine line and I think the bills need to let the reigns off of him a lot more.

Yup. The problem is that training wheels josh is the worst version of josh. I’ll take the interceptions over conservative bs. Let him grow and learn. Don’t clip his wings. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, london_bills said:

It may be man. It just may be. Without the deep ball. 

not like we have a choice with this team but to sit there and gladly take the maximum punishment dished out to loyal fans 

1 hour ago, Reed83HOF said:

wants to see points scored every time we have the ball, whether TDs or FGS,  wants to be a a big physical team.

still believes in Josh, way too many penalties, pre-snap penalties are inexcusable

Full video is up

If you have trouble with the twitter link as I do, try this: https://www.facebook.com/BuffaloBills/videos/1132793540444888/

The main takeaways I got was that the huddle/loss of time before 3rd down call and fieldgoal were a mistake, that he is still committed to Josh at this point and certainly not assigning all the blame to Josh.  He is committed to Daboll but is displeased with some of the playcalling and starting to mix it in with playcalling on offense.  The biggest kind of finger-pointy things he said were on the OL and DL not controlling the line of scrimmage for the run game on their respective sides and towards Lee Smith for penalties.

More details on the tweets above and additional stuff:

-His review of the tape showed a need for "a higher level of execution on all three phases"

-Said we didn't dominate the run game on either side of the ball and we didn't get takeaways on defense (no shout-out to ST for not collecting the muffed punt)

-Said the plan after the Singletary run with almost a minute left was not to huddle, it was to go to the line and get the play off and then call the time out.  Later asked some more about it and said "we had to huddle" it was "operation" and they'd look at that again going forward.

-He was specifically asked about the 3rd and 4 incomplete pass to John Brown, and whether it was the right play, whether that was the designed play call or a check by Josh.  He ducked the question. Kind of made a face and said "without getting into too much strategy, we had a play call right there, and we didn't execute".  That's a Non Answer, and it's All the answer we get. 

-Asked about the decision to kick the field goal when Haushka has said it's the limit of his range, said he knew where we were and there weren't a lot of options and "we've got a lot of confidence in Steven" and "we'll remain confident in him going forward"  I think that's described as "Belching Out Glurge." 

-Ok, he did expand on his thinking a bit, that he feels if you go for it on 4th and don't make it, you don't give your players a chance to win the game, but if you go for the field goal at least you give your players a chance to win the game.  This does NOT make sense to me, but at least he kind of answered.

-(John Wawrow I think) converted a statement to a question and asked "This offense doesn't seem to have an identity, is that a fair assessment?" and specifically "are you a running offense? are you a passing offense?"  McDermott said he wants to move the ball and score points.  Well, now, that clears everyone up.

-Someone asked about Josh Allen's statement that he didn't really know why his deep balls aren't getting there and thought it might be unconscious concern about throwing INTs.  Asked about how to deal with that, McDermott said "it's execution, we detail our work during the week and then we build the rep count"    He gave a specific example, though, of a blocking problem where one of our players knocked into another and there was pressure up the middle during the throw to McKensie, and that sometimes it's "6 inches, 6 inches is the difference between a big play and an incompletion".  So his example made it very clear that he is NOT putting it all on Josh.

-Reinforced that theme when he was asked if it was frustrating that you drafted Josh for his big arm and he's not executing.  Said "Listen, I remain confident in Josh" and gave the example of what he's been able to improve with short to intermediate throws, said he understood her point that we need to be able to go down the field with the deep balls and that's where execution comes in.

-He specifically said that "we have to do a better job of getting it into our playmaker's hands, in this case Devin, and remaining consistent with that" so evidently, Not Pleased with 8 carries for Devin

-He was asked about going for it on 4th in two previous attempts vs. the final play and what was the difference, he said "different amounts of time on the clock, situational football" ?

-Said he had talked to Brian Daboll after the game and today about the play calling on 3rd and 4th down and some of them he "felt the ball was going to the right spot" and some he felt it wasn't so "he and I talked about that today"

-Someone pointed out Lee Smith has 9 penalties and is on the field 30% of the time, why is that continuing to happen?  McDermott said "he's got to be locked in" and that "presnap penalties are non negotiable" and they're part of what's killing our drives.  But he didn't really address the question of how to fix it, and of course a good number of Smith's penalties are for holding post-snap.

-Said he's always confident in his staff and in the players in the locker room (?Did he say that in 2017 a few games before he relieved Dennison?)

Overall, I thought our press did a pretty good job of asking tough but fair questions and holding Sean's feet to the fire, but he didn't reveal much under torture.

1 hour ago, Seven-N-Nine said:

His pressers are about as useless as his game day decision making.

I wouldn't go that far.  You can get a few bits of info out of it.

• Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, row_33 said:

not like we have a choice with this team but to sit there and gladly take the maximum punishment dished out to loyal fans 

Based on this moment -

It's all fine as long as we draft another QB somewhere. Cannot lock ourselves in as a franchise if it becomes more clear Allen may not pan out. 

Edited by london_bills

• Hapless Bills Fan changed the title to McD's weekly presser: Huddling not planned on final drive
4 minutes ago, london_bills said:

Based on this moment -

It's all fine as long as we draft another QB somewhere. Cannot lock ourselves in as a franchise if it becomes more clear Allen may not pan out. 

be patient, it's torturing me to have to say this

we knew a lot sooner about JP...  :(

2 minutes ago, Jammer8732 said:

You do realize that if we won, they would be debating the greatest goal line stand in NFL history...don’t you?

nah, real teams have provided much better ones

the end to the Titans/Rams SB was the most important, ended at the 1/2 yard line

Regarding the last drive. 

In his presser Mcd says it wasn't the plan to huddle and said it starts with him to put the team in a better position to win. 

Could McDermott have been the one who got involved and wanted the play to go to the area where they would kick the FG? 

He said they wanted to kick to tie so I ask the question did he get them to huddle and realise that was wrong and make himself accountable inside close doors? 

Might be overthinking it sure but he's so Conservative and may have been afraid of a turnover. 

5 minutes ago, Jammer8732 said:

You do realize that if we won, they would be debating the greatest goal line stand in NFL history...don’t you?

Defence was outstanding. Not perfect(last drive) but held them to 19 which is good. No way I rag on the D. 

Edited by london_bills

14 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

That makes it sound like Daboll called for the huddle and McD didn’t like that.

either way, a stupid situation that looked bad all around.

Neither one planned for the huddle. Daboll ended up calling it to get the right play. I’m sure both wish it hadn’t occurred. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Mark92 said:

I don't think that's it exactly.  Let me try an analogy.

There are different approaches to honing a skill.  One approach is to let someone go their own way - a musician learning a piece of music say, and making mistakes while the thinking brain is still involved and the notes aren't yet going from the eyes to the fingers with no conscious thought.  Then you point out the mistakes and have them play it again, and hope that the mistakes disappear over time.  Except the problem is, the mistakes are getting engrained by repetition along with the correct playing.

Another approach is to insist that the musician practice correctly until they get the fundamentals right - slowing down and hesitating if necessary to avoid making mistakes in a challenging section.  Tell them to avoid making mistakes - "playing it into your fingers".  Then over time, the playing will become automatic and correct, and be able to speed up.  But in the learning process, the playing may seem forced and awkward at times.

Daboll and Dorsey are insisting on the latter approach with Josh.  There's actually a bunch of psychological studies that says it's the approach that will work more quickly to produce mistake-free playing.  A number of other QBs had the former approach taken with them, and it's a mixed bag how well it worked.

I don't know if what Daboll and Dorsey are doing with Josh will work.  The question is whether the hesitation and second guessing will get "played into his game psychology" and become habitual, or whether he will be able to speed up and play freely while still avoiding mistakes.  Time will tell, I can't.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1