McD's weekly presser: Huddling not planned on final drive

Reed83HOF

2 minutes ago, Tesla03 said:

why not call a timeout there? it was obvious we were too far and needed that 1st down. 

also why did McD call a timeout on the previous Browns drive, right before we gave up the game winning play to Laundry. his clock management skills are an absolute joke 

I've noticed that McD will sometimes call timeout on Defense for what, I think, he considers to be potentially drive stopping plays. He did a similar thing against NE once, where he called a TO on 4th and 1 in order to have the right defensive formation. It worked, NE punted instead, but the Bills lost anyways so I doubt too many people noticed.

McD calls a timeout when the Browns had the ball only to allow a 30 yard play (and eventually give up a touchdown) right after the time out.

Then, McD chooses not to call a timeout when the Bills have the ball only to watch a pass sail wide and end up with a 53 yard field goal attempt.

Nice! Good job Coach!

Just now, Seven-N-Nine said:

I get the feeling the offensive coaches are babysitting Allen a bit too much.

We agree here.  Let the kid play.

And if you have a HC saying the plan is no time out and his OC saying they called one, then McD and Daboll better sit down and work that stuff out.

Just now, oldmanfan said:

And if you have a HC saying the plan is no time out and his OC saying they called one, then McD and Daboll better sit down and work that stuff out.

It does sound like they are not on the same page.  Maybe they disagree on how to develop Allen.

9 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Go get Joe Brady from LSU as your OC for next year. Pay the man a ton and know that he will probably be a HC by 2022, if everything goes right. Brady is a William and Mary’s Grad like McDermott. It will take some different thinking for Sean.  We need a young OC who can relate and coach Josh. Daboll isn’t the guy. Sean is going to have to learn the offensive side of the  ball and game management to be successful as a HC. A young enthusiastic OC just might be what Sean needs. Leslie can handle a lot of the D day to day work. 

Joe Burrow's development has been profound under Brady

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Binghamton Beast said:

If you think McDermott is getting fired you truly are clueless.

Exactly.

We're gonna fire our coach in the 3rd year of a complete rebuild who brought this team it's first playoff berth in over 17 years and is on the verge of another? Get real guys! He may not have it all figured out but it's not all on him. He's the most competent coach we've had in almost 15 years.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Binghamton Beast said:

If you think McDermott is getting fired you truly are clueless.

I didn't take it as Wayne saying McD is fired after this year.  McD shouldn't get to pick the next OC, which I would agree with.

13 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

They have almost 2 full years together- I think that boat has sailed.

1 minute ago, Happy Gilmore said:

I didn't take it as Wayne saying McD is fired after this year.  McD shouldn't get to pick the next OC, which I would agree with.

It’s how I interpreted it as well. But wouldn't  him not being able to pick an OC be a quasi vote of no confidence? I couldn’t see Beane doing that. 

1 minute ago, stony said:

It’s how I interpreted it as well. But wouldn't  him not being able to pick an OC be a quasi vote of no confidence? I couldn’t see Beane doing that. 

It would be a vote of no confidence in McD.  Beane most likely wouldn't do that since he and McD are peers in the org chart; the Pegulas would have to get some sort of offensive guru/consultant to pick the OC.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, stony said:

I like this. I admittedly know little about him. But I’m intrigued. 

Brady also coached under Sean Payton with NO for a year. Brady just turned 30 this year. Bills would have to pry him away from LSU, Coach O is already lobbying for a contract extension for Brady. I like what Brady has done for Burrow’s And bet he could do similar with Josh.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

This.

Actions speak louder than words. McDermott can't help but coach scared. The consistent kneel it to halftime with slim leads is all you need to know about him.... 

He is totally coaching scared and he isn’t involved at all with the offense. Its ok if you have Norv Turner as your OC- but we don’t. Also, in his presser he said we have to win the battle on the lines both sides in the run game. Motor had 8/42 and abandoned the run!!! 

Edited by billsfan_34