Good Teams Start with Competent Coaching

Kevinpop

So, for those advocating moving on from McDermott, who do you want as a replacement?  Who do you believe is the next great coach?  Not saying it's necessarily a terrible idea, but if you're going to fire everyone, again, you  better have a viable option, not just "someone else".  Been there, done that.  

3 hours ago, Kevinpop said:

Let's get this straight.... McDermott's directive was to stall our own momentum after Allen throws two darts against a Cleveland "prevent defense" by huddling up, run 30 seconds off the clock,  and settling for the game tying 53 yard field goal on the foot of Stephen Hauschka?  I have always questioned McDermott's time management skills and this further underscores his inability to handle the clock during a big moment. 

Folks- this is the Dick Jauron conservative mentality all over again.  

How would a competent coach like Bellecheck and the Patriots have handled the last 1:44 left and 1 timeout left in the game?  In a much more efficient and organized manner, and would have won the game!  

Lets get this straight, you're an idiot!

As soon as you state "it was McD's directive"  you become a complete idiot.  You can question why they wasted time, but  highly doubt that's what he told them to do and it's something only an idiot would think of!

Edited by Ed_Formerly_of_Roch

15 minutes ago, Gray Beard said:

Well, however it happened, a go route with a QB who is terrible at long throws is a really stupid play call on 3rd and 4. 

Whose decision was it?  It wasn’t a good decision.

It wasn’t a go. It was an option route. JA threw the option (Back shoulder), brown stuck with the go, but brown said after the game he should have taken the option because he didn’t beat his man.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Kevinpop said:

Let's get this straight.... McDermott's directive was to stall our own momentum after Allen throws two darts against a Cleveland "prevent defense" by huddling up, run 30 seconds off the clock,  and settling for the game tying 53 yard field goal on the foot of Stephen Hauschka?  I have always questioned McDermott's time management skills and this further underscores his inability to handle the clock during a big moment. 

How would a competent coach like Bellecheck and the Patriots have handled the last 1:44 left and 1 timeout left in the game?  In a much more efficient and organized manner, and would have won the game!  

46 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

That would’ve been reasonable, but it would’ve been their last TO.  I can also understand why he’d want to preserve that TO for the FG attempt. 

Why do you need a TO for a fg attempt? They would have had 60 seconds and no timeouts. 3rd and 4. If you get the first down, spike the ball. If it's incomplete, you're in the same position as what ended up happening except you have 50 seconds.

They also used a TO AFTER the 2 minute warning, while the clock was stopped, and immediately before giving up the big play to Landry.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Lets get this straight, you're an idiot!

As soon as you state "it was McD's directive"  you become a complete idiot.  You can question why they wasted time, but  highly doubt that's what he told them to do and it's something only an idiot would think of!

Bottom line.  They did.  The buck stops with him.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Trey Roberts said:

I sort of understand the idea of playing for the field goal and winning in overtime. 

But they were marching and moving the ball well. You have to send the message to your QB that you believe in him to win it NOW, not in OT. They played scared football and sent a message that they didn’t believe Josh could deliver in the moment. They might erode Josh’s confidence by teaching him to play Tyrod ball. They can teach ball security while at the same time allowing Josh to sling it. And I’m afraid they might ruin what makes him a potentially good QB. 

They've already ruined him. He rarely scrambles anymore like last year. He's so paranoid over ints. that all his long throws are overthrows. Daboll draws up routes that take 20 minutes to develop.  This poor kid doesn't stand a chance between mcdermott's conservativism and Daboll's moron game plan. He's a gunslinger. Let him sling it.

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Trey Roberts said:

I sort of understand the idea of playing for the field goal and winning in overtime. 

But they were marching and moving the ball well. You have to send the message to your QB that you believe in him to win it NOW, not in OT. They played scared football and sent a message that they didn’t believe Josh could deliver in the moment. They might erode Josh’s confidence by teaching him to play Tyrod ball. They can teach ball security while at the same time allowing Josh to sling it. And I’m afraid they might ruin what makes him a potentially good QB. 

you shouldn’t understand this, because it’s a proven fallacy. It was bourne out of water-headed, risk-averse, traditional coach-think that has no rational basis.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Chemical said:

Why do you need a TO for a fg attempt? They would have had 60 seconds and no timeouts. 3rd and 4. If you get the first down, spike the ball. If it's incomplete, you're in the same position as what ended up happening except you have 50 seconds.

They also used a TO AFTER the 2 minute warning, while the clock was stopped, and immediately before giving up the big play to Landry.

I said it would be reasonable to save the TO, but I didn’t say anything about the huddle.  It doesn’t look like that was on McD so I wasn’t holding it against him.  It was definitely a mistake by Allen (or maybe Daboll) though.  Going up to the line and running a play would’ve been fine too.  That’s all I was saying.  I should’ve been clearer on the last part.  The TO would’ve given the Bills more ability to work the middle of the field. It could’ve also given them a chance to give the FG team more time to set up.  Sure, they’re NFL players and they should be able to run out and go, but Hauschka hasn’t exactly been stellar this season. I was just thinking some extra time could’ve helped him. 

13 hours ago, Kevinpop said:

mike Schopp sighting

Ed- McDermott has the autonomy as the "Head Coach" to use his last timeout and over-ride Daboll on a very low percentage deep ball call on 3rd down. I don't highly doubt it at all given his track record of ultra conservative play calling.  He demonstrates poor situational play calling as the Head Coach.   His team- his directive. 

Edited by Kevinpop

15 hours ago, Jigsaw2112 said:

So, for those advocating moving on from McDermott, who do you want as a replacement?  Who do you believe is the next great coach?  Not saying it's necessarily a terrible idea, but if you're going to fire everyone, again, you  better have a viable option, not just "someone else".  Been there, done that.  

6-3 and we're back down the "fire everyone" rabbit hole. ?‍♂️