Good Teams Start with Competent Coaching

Kevinpop

Let's get this straight.... McDermott's directive was to stall our own momentum after Allen throws two darts against a Cleveland "prevent defense" by huddling up, run 30 seconds off the clock,  and settling for the game tying 53 yard field goal on the foot of Stephen Hauschka?  I have always questioned McDermott's time management skills and this further underscores his inability to handle the clock during a big moment. 

Folks- this is the Dick Jauron conservative mentality all over again.  

How would a competent coach like Bellecheck and the Patriots have handled the last 1:44 left and 1 timeout left in the game?  In a much more efficient and organized manner, and would have won the game!  

Edited by Kevinpop
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

I sort of understand the idea of playing for the field goal and winning in overtime. 

But they were marching and moving the ball well. You have to send the message to your QB that you believe in him to win it NOW, not in OT. They played scared football and sent a message that they didn’t believe Josh could deliver in the moment. They might erode Josh’s confidence by teaching him to play Tyrod ball. They can teach ball security while at the same time allowing Josh to sling it. And I’m afraid they might ruin what makes him a potentially good QB. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Trey Roberts said:

I sort of understand the idea of playing for the field goal and winning in overtime. 

But they were marching and moving the ball well. You have to send the message to your QB that you believe in him to win it NOW, not in OT. They played scared football and sent a message that they didn’t believe Josh could deliver in the moment. They might erode Josh’s confidence by teaching him to play Tyrod ball. They can teach ball security while at the same time allowing Josh to sling it. And I’m afraid they might ruin what makes him a potentially good QB. 

How do you sort of understand stalling on the 35 yard line and playing for a 53 yard field goal when you have 49 seconds and a timeout left?  There’s zero excuse for it.  It’s getting to be a disturbing trend happening with McDermott 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

I would have been happy with a FG.  But we really should have tried to get closer instead of wasting time.  Especially since HauschMoney missed a chip shot earlier in the game and one against the Eagles.

isn't that settling for OT, which can be a crap shoot?

2 minutes ago, nucci said:

you play to win and kick the FG when necessary. With OT only 10 minutes it's more difficult to win that way

Right. Josh hasn't thrown a pick since Tennessee. Try to get closer, to score a TD, and if it doesn't work, odds are you still have the ball and are closer for Hauschka anyway. 

Allen gets a pass deflected and Singletary makes the bone headed attempt to catch it for a loss. Near disaster. If I recall the next play Singletary fails to get out of bounds. Then the next play is run without taking the timeout and Allen tosses up and afterthought effort at a fly route down the sideline. And that was all the coach’s fault? 

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Kevinpop said:

Let's get this straight.... McDermott's directive was to stall our own momentum after Allen throws two darts against a Cleveland "prevent defense" by huddling up, run 30 seconds off the clock,  and settling for the game tying 53 yard field goal on the foot of Stephen Hauschka?  I have always questioned McDermott's time management skills and this further underscores his inability to handle to clock during a big moment. 

Folks- this is the Dick Jauron conservative mentality all over again.  

How would a competent coach like Bellecheck and the Patriots have handled the last 1:44 left and 1 timeout left in the game?  In a much more efficient and organized manner, and would have won the game!  

Time management and time outs were not good enough,  conversative play calling on both sides of ball in final two drives were Jauron JR level.  I have been saying since he was first hired that the guy is a Dick Jauron clone and you better not be counting on him to out coach the other side for wins.

Like why we're they playing prevent defense on that final drive?

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, BuffaninSarasota said:

isn't that settling for OT, which can be a crap shoot?

Who said anything about settling.  I was thinking as we tried to get closer we may have very well gotten a TD.  Why does it have to be one or the other?

And I'd take a crap shoot over a loss any day.

1 hour ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

How do you sort of understand stalling on the 35 yard line and playing for a 53 yard field goal when you have 49 seconds and a timeout left?  There’s zero excuse for it.  It’s getting to be a disturbing trend happening with McDermott 

Its not like we clocked it - we ran a play.  I think a timeout might have been smart though.  Think through what you want to do, and execute.  Can use the middle of the field and clock it and assume 20 seconds off.  From there you can run either sidelines or EZ plays, or a single over the middle type play to get you to the preferred hash, and maybe tack on 5-10 more yards and clock it for the kick.  

12 minutes ago, Seasons1992 said:

Josh needs to put his sack out there and go AGAINST what the coaches want, and make it work. Do that once or twice and he earns the benefit of the doubt.

How do you know that he didn't it?  What if that was actually his call on third down?

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

I don’t get going for a 53 yard FG by any means. What I do understand (barely) is having faith that you can win it if you can just get it to OT. But yes agree, it’s a disturbing trend with McDermott. 

2 hours ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

Here here! Ya play to win the game not fiddle faddle week in and week out. They even had time to run the freakin ball with a TO left. Browns were so spread out it would of been smart.

2 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

Allen gets a pass deflected and Singletary makes the bone headed attempt to catch it for a loss. Near disaster. If I recall the next play Singletary fails to get out of bounds. Then the next play is run without taking the timeout and Allen tosses up and afterthought effort at a fly route down the sideline. And that was all the coach’s fault? 

Why not take a timeout after singletary doesn't get out of bounds?