Forward Pass or Fumble? What’s the Standard?

JGMcD2

10 hours ago, Do The Reich Thing said:

I've re-watched this play 50+ times... The bigger thing that concerns me is that he was attempting to underhand it to Hunt. If it's underhand shouldn't it be a fumble?

I’m pretty sure it can be underhand, but it has to be forward. If it’s a lateral or a backwards pitch, then it’s a fumble. 

Rather than relying on a consistent standard that might be confusing to some players and fans, the league and its officials have found success interpreting each unique play and set of circumstances individually, often with the assistance of video replay technology.

We believe this has resulted in an improved game day experience for players and fans alike.

• Haha (+1) 3

The ruling on that play was that Josh never actually possessed the ball. Right or wrong they ruled he just tapped the snap to the guy in motion. 

On the jet sweep type play as long as the QB possesses the snap he can flip it any way he wants to the receiver running in front of him including underhand and it will be considered a forward pass.

They got the call right last week. We're on to Miami. 

Edited by Maybe Someday
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Steve Billieve said:

Gene Steratore said the standard is whether the arm is moving forward, not whether the ball is moving forward.

Can see from both of the passes that the rule as written was upheld.  It seems unintuitive but it also seems like the easiest way to get consistent play calling.

so what if a QB were to turnaround and throw it backwards 50 yards. His arm was moving forwards so it’s not a fumble? That doesn’t make sense 

19 hours ago, Guffalo said:

My question is, if Mayfield or the reciever picked it up and ran a few yards, would they still have treated it as a forward pass? If it got kicked back a bit and they lost 12 yards, would they call it an incomplete pass? Probably not because Baker Mayfield is the new posterchild for the NFL , the refs need to keep him engaged in the game, thus the call went that way. 

I think the answer to the 2nd is definitely - yes. On the first, more of a grey area. I would like to hope so but they might not have.

On ‎11‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 7:34 AM, Jobot said:

Thanks for posting this.  I was pulling my hair out arguing about this on another thread.  It's extremely frustrating that the refs don't understand the rules as well as people watching at home.   It's really simple, either the ball is moving forward or it is not.  Allen's example vs the Vikings should have been ruled an incomplete pass.  Baker's ball didn't go forward (at least not convincingly from replay) and should have stayed a fumble.

Ironically, it was probably during off-season review that the Refs were shown the incorrect outcome of Allen's example that this past weekends crew assumed was identical.  Bottom line, most of the refs are just not smart enough for this game.

I agree 100%!! I have watched it several times and Mayfield basically just threw the ball straight up in the air; didn't go forward and should have been ruled a fumble. At the very least, inconclusive. That's the more frustrating part! How many calls this year have actually been overturned? I mean, knowing that they are conspiring NOT to overturn a PI call, but most challenges and reviews still favor the call on the field. Except when it's the Bills I guess.

Bottom line: That play should have stayed a fumble and touchdown by Hughes. Game over at that point.

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Do The Reich Thing said:

so what if a QB were to turnaround and throw it backwards 50 yards. His arm was moving forwards so it’s not a fumble? That doesn’t make sense 

forward is considered towards the opponents goal line

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Steve Billieve said:

Its the arm moving forward down the field.

Rule 8 Forward Pass, Backward Pass, Fumble Section 1 Forward Pass DEFINITION Article 1 Definition It is a forward pass if: (a) the ball initially moves forward (to a point nearer the opponent’s goal line) after leaving the passer’s hand(s); or (b) the ball first strikes the ground, a player, an official, or anything else at a point that is nearer the opponent’s goal line than the point at which the ball leaves the passer’s hand(s).

Enjoy

6 hours ago, Jobot said:

Rule 8 Forward Pass, Backward Pass, Fumble Section 1 Forward Pass DEFINITION Article 1 Definition It is a forward pass if: (a) the ball initially moves forward (to a point nearer the opponent’s goal line) after leaving the passer’s hand(s); or (b) the ball first strikes the ground, a player, an official, or anything else at a point that is nearer the opponent’s goal line than the point at which the ball leaves the passer’s hand(s).

Enjoy

Unlike the Music City Miracle, which I did think was not a forward pass (unlike most Bills fans), this needed a camera angle straight down the line............I think it should have been ruled inconclusive.