Forward Pass or Fumble? What’s the Standard?

JGMcD2

Hey look,

I’m not arguing that the Jerry Hughes touchdown that was called a fumble on the field and was overturned wasn’t a forward pass. It was clearly a shuttle pass or whatever you’d like to call it. I was in the stands at the game and after celebrating like a mad man knew immediately it would be overturned. We could have stopped them on that drive and won the game regardless... so by no means am I blaming the refs for our loss... they made the right call. 

Anyway... I came across this today and it made me go ballistic. I’m not absolving the team of the fact they shouldn’t have put themselves in the position they were in. Offense, defense, special teams and coaches contributed to the loss. All I ask for is consistency... from our coaches, our players, our fans, the league office and the refs. There is no standard in the NFL for the refs... no accountability. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

Hey look,

I’m not arguing that the Jerry Hughes touchdown that was called a fumble on the field and was overturned wasn’t a forward pass. It was clearly a shuttle pass or whatever you’d like to call it. I was in the stands at the game and after celebrating like a mad man knew immediately it would be overturned. We could have stopped them on that drive and won the game regardless... so by no means am I blaming the refs for our loss... they made the right call. 

Anyway... I came across this today and it made me go ballistic. I’m not absolving the team of the fact they shouldn’t have put themselves in the position they were in. Offense, defense, special teams and coaches contributed to the loss. All I ask for is consistency... from our coaches, our players, our fans, the league office and the refs. There is no standard in the NFL for the refs... no accountability. 

you're not wrong 

• Like (+1) 1

While I understand and agree with the intent of the rule...that particular play was NOT executed as a forward pass. Much like the Music City Miracle, you have to execute it correctly for the rule to apply. Mayfield simply tossed the ball up in the air. That’s not a forward pass! 

• Like (+1) 5

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

While I understand and agree with the intent of the rule...that particular play was NOT executed as a forward pass. Much like the Music City Miracle, you have to execute it correctly for the rule to apply. Mayfield simply tossed the ball up in the air. That’s not a forward pass! 

The refs over turned it because Baker's arm was going forward. It's debatable but if his guy gets the ball it be called a completed pass but yeah the Minny game calling it a fumble when it wasn't hurts but it might have been used as evidence to change the call/rule. The Bills D could have still stopped the Browns that drive to win but didn't.

Just now, The Jokeman said:

The refs over turned it because Baker's arm was going forward. It's debatable but if his guy gets the ball it be called a completed pass but yeah the Minny game calling it a fumble when it wasn't hurts but it might have been used as evidence to change the call/rule. The Bills D could have still stopped the Browns that drive to win but didn't.

All of what you say is true.  One of the interesting parts about the NFL is that there are so many rules that coaches are always trying to work their way around them. I believe this is one of those instances.  The rule needs to change.  There needs to be some risk to the offense. (I feel the same about how Brady is being allowed to abuse the intentional grounding rule. You can't tell me he isn't INTENTIONALLY 'grounding' the ball  to INTENTIONALLY avoid a sack....because he is.)

Just now, SoCal Deek said:

All of what you say is true.  One of the interesting parts about the NFL is that there are so many rules that coaches are always trying to work their way around them. I believe this is one of those instances.  The rule needs to change.  There needs to be some risk to the offense. (I feel the same about how Brady is being allowed to abuse the intentional grounding rule. You can't tell me he isn't INTENTIONALLY 'grounding' the ball  to INTENTIONALLY avoid a sack....because he is.)

I fully heartily agree as still shake my head on non grounding call on Brady against us this season. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, K-9 said:

I was over it the minute it was overturned. What the rule is for a forward pass is a completely different discussion. 

i was pressed for time at the office and listening on the radio and thought the Hughes TD clinched it and turned off the broadcast

found out THE TRUTH a little bit later...  :(

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, row_33 said:

i was pressed for time at the office and listening on the radio and thought the Hughes TD clinched it and turned off the broadcast

found out THE TRUTH a little bit later...  :(

Must have been a shock to the system. Then again, you were spared the gory visuals. 

7 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Must have been a shock to the system. Then again, you were spared the gory visuals. 

it's been 18 straight days billing at least 9 a day on a file that is very tough to suck it up and dive in....

and the jadedness of cheering since 1973 has led me to believe what Yogi said was true about it being over

but i was still disheartened and then watched the youtube hi-lites (thanks for getting them up there that quick, whomever!!)

28 minutes ago, row_33 said:

it's been 18 straight days billing at least 9 a day on a file that is very tough to suck it up and dive in....

and the jadedness of cheering since 1973 has led me to believe what Yogi said was true about it being over

but i was still disheartened and then watched the youtube hi-lites (thanks for getting them up there that quick, whomever!!)

Hang in there. This, too, shall pass.

• Haha (+1) 1