Daboll as an OC - Rankings for last 10 years

Virgil

image.thumb.png.b20e4492a7b09d23fe47a7a4ad7f3bc1.png

These are his career stats as an NFL OC.  The overall is based upon the entire team, which includes defensive points scored.  Out of all the categories, he only finished a season top ten on four occasions, all within the rushing category.   Allen's ability to run is the main reason he's green or yellow these past two seasons. 

For those saying Allen is the problem, which he does have his problems, I look at the person running the show and see that the man's resume is crap.  I don't know how he got the job then or how he has the job now.  His ties to Saban and the Hoodie mean nothing to me.  With the Hoodie, all he did was coach TE's.  College stats are tough to rank, but he was

Edited by Virgil
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Just now, Virgil said:

These are his career stats as an NFL OC.  The overall is based upon the entire team, which includes defensive points scored.  Out of all the categories, he only finished a season top ten on four occasions, all within the rushing category.   Allen's ability to run is the main reason he's green or yellow these past two seasons. 

For those saying Allen is the problem, which he does have his problems, I look at the person running the show and see that the man's resume is crap.  I don't know how he got the job then or how he has the job now.  His ties to Saban and the Hoodie mean nothing to me.  With the Hoodie, all he did was coach TE's.  College stats are tough to rank, but he was

....been saying for awhile that his one year stops as OC are questionable.......maybe Saban has a return clause that he'd honor.......this guy is another Fairchild pffft........

Overall, I like his offensive concept—

spread it out, short passes, pass to set up the run. It’s probably the most exciting offense Conceptually we have had in 20 years.

i think we can all point to complaints with the specific play-calling on game day, but that’s also where the head coach can step in and basically tell him at a high level “we need to start running the ball more Here, etc.”

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

It blows my mind how fans were ok with him being the guy to mentor a young qb.  His nfl resume is terrible and Jalen Hurts, who was supposedly holding him back at Bama, is a 73% passer with 39 total tds to 4 ints.  

I’m sure he’s a good guy and has a lot of football knowledge.  But the guy is a bad O.C.

Just now, JR in Pittsburgh said:

Overall, I like his offensive concept—

spread it out, short passes, pass to set up the run. It’s probably the most exciting offense Conceptually we have had in 20 years.

i think we can all point to complaints with the specific play-calling on game day, but that’s also where the head coach can step in and basically tell him at a high level “we need to start running the ball more Here, etc.”

He would be good with Tom Brady.

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, JR in Pittsburgh said:

True dat. Brady would have like Five 60-yard TDs to Robert Foster by now!! 

I do believe that while Daboll may not work out in the end, him being here has accelerated JA’s football IQ. 

Yeah, to be fair to be Daboll, he has called plays that Allen has flat out missed.  I just think he isn’t the right guy to develop a raw qb.  We are forcing JA to play like Brady and that’s just not his game.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Virgil said:

To be fair, one ought to look at the teams and the QBs wth which he compiled those records.  I posted about it earlier.

Here's the info on the team record and offensive rank (points) before during and after Daboll, and the QB he worked with

Offensive rank  on points (W-L record) [QB] before and after Daboll

Browns

2008 (before): 30 (4-12) [Derek Anderson]

2009: 29 (5-11) [Brady Quinn, Derek Anderson]

2010: 31 (5-11) [Colt McCoy, Jake Delhomme age 35, Seneca Wallace]  Colt McCoy drafted 3rd round, rookie

2011 (after): 30 (4-12) [Colt McCoy, Seneca Wallace]

Miami

2010 (before): 30 (7-9) [Chad Henne]

2011: 20 (6-10) [Matt Moore]

2012 (after): 27 (7-9) [drafted Ryan Tannehill]

Kansas City

2011 (before): 31 (7-9) [Matt Cassell]

2012: 32 (2-14) [Matt Cassell]

2013 (after): 6 (11-5) [Andy Reid released Matt Cassel and traded a 2nd round pick for Alex Smith]

• Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

The Ravens have created an offense that’s conceptually based around the QBs skill set.  The Ravens have no standout players on offense.  The Bills have created an offense that’s conceptually based around the OCs ideology.

Which philosophy has worked best?  

Edited by Rbleyle
  • Like (+1) 9

Look at what he had to work with. I mean taking stats is all well and fine but without context its meaningless.  If you look at some of those teams they might be some of the worst collection of offensive talent for an OC of all time, especially at the QB position.

By far Allen is the best QB Daboll has had to work with.

Edited by matter2003

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

To be fair, one ought to look at the teams and the QBs wth which he compiled those records.  I posted about it earlier.

Here's the info on the team record and offensive rank (points) before during and after Daboll, and the QB he worked with

Offensive rank  on points (W-L record) [QB] before and after Daboll

Browns

2008 (before): 30 (4-12) [Derek Anderson]

2009: 29 (5-11) [Brady Quinn, Derek Anderson]

2010: 31 (5-11) [Colt McCoy, Jake Delhomme age 35, Seneca Wallace]  Colt McCoy drafted 3rd round, rookie

2011 (after): 30 (4-12) [Colt McCoy, Seneca Wallace]

Miami

2010 (before): 30 (7-9) [Chad Henne]

2011: 20 (6-10) [Matt Moore]

2012 (after): 27 (7-9) [drafted Ryan Tannehill]

Kansas City

2011 (before): 31 (7-9) [Matt Cassell]

2012: 32 (2-14) [Matt Cassell]

2013 (after): 6 (11-5) [Andy Reid released Matt Cassel and traded a 2nd round pick for Alex Smith]

I knew there was a thread posting Daboll's stats before, but I couldn't find it.  If you want to merge this somewhere, go for it. 

11 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

It blows my mind how fans were ok with him being the guy to mentor a young qb.  His nfl resume is terrible and Jalen Hurts, who was supposedly holding him back at Bama, is a 73% passer with 39 total tds to 4 ints.  

I’m sure he’s a good guy and has a lot of football knowledge.  But the guy is a bad O.C.

He would be good with Tom Brady.

Bill Belicheck**** disagrees with you.  When he was looking internally for an OC, he passed over Daboll for Josh McDaniels.  Daboll left the following season to take a position as QB coach with the Jets.   He coached Pennington at age 31 and and Favre age 39 there before moving on into OC positions.

26 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Resume doesn't show who was QB... I love half assed threads 

Edited by Boca BIlls

I just hate to see him call anymore games but it is what it is. I just want to think McD is smart enough to move on from him at seasons end.

it's a real damn shame this franchise has had to bring in 2 bit coaches. when if they had a well established, experienced HC and OC, we would not be having this discussion and may even have a team that you could be confident in with winning and winning consistently. but, seems those coaches want nothing to do with buffalo so you end up with two bit coaches and a mediocre team, for the last 20 years.

• Like (+1) 1

My #1 problem I have with Daboll is that he doesn't take advantage of mismatches during games. In any game you play, you find the advantage and exploit it. I just don't see Daboll's offense doing this. I may be wrong, but in my opinion, it's not happening. First off, I'm constantly seeing Beasley open yet the ball is being, seemingly, forced to John Brown. Also, although he drops passes on occasion, I'd like to see Knox more involved. I don't see many LBs with the ability to cover him. There are many things I'd like to see incorporated into this offense that can take advantage of the players strengths. More RPOs, more rollout passes, backside screens to Singletary. The Vikings ran a beautiful one where Cousins faked the run to Cook, rolled out to the right and threw it back to Cook for a 30 yd gain. I hate just seeing Josh sitting in the pocket watching the rush engulf him.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

I just hate to see him call anymore games but it is what it is. I just want to think McD is smart enough to move on from him at seasons end.

it's a real damn shame this franchise has had to bring in 2 bit coaches. when if they had a well established, experienced HC and OC, we would not be having this discussion and may even have a team that you could be confident in with winning and winning consistently. but, seems those coaches want nothing to do with buffalo so you end up with two bit coaches and a mediocre team, for the last 20 years.

Is there more than 7-8 teams in the whole NFL, if that, with "well established, experienced HC and OC"?

Of course every team wants that. An en elite QB. Top offensive line. #1 WRs. Terrifying defenses. And on and on. Some fans think their desires can simply put into reality in a snap.